Forums

By posting to our forums you are agreeing to the Forum terms of use.
how is management external to the scrum team involved in the daily scrum?
Last Post 14 Jan 2013 05:35 AM by Joshua Partogi. 9 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Qasim Sarfraz
Qasim Sarfraz

--
11 Jan 2013 05:08 AM
    Hi,

I have got PSM I and its seems its a test of IQ or English capability test not Scrum knowledge ?
    In test most of question ask in so strange way which even confuse the english native speaker. Moreover you did no get any feedback of the exam which is wrong and right answer.

I have go the question and did not understand what is the 100% correct answer. Question was don't remember options correctly but.

How is management external to the scrum team involved in the daily scrum?
    1- Product owner represent management.
    2- Scrum master talk on behalf of management.
    3- The development team is self managed and is the only management required in DS. All other cant attend (Tricky part).
    4- management gives overview in beginning of DS.

I have chosen 3 as others not suitable to DS. Scrum guide is not talking a word even about external management and their role but as I studied in different articles and books external management can attend but they don't have any role and they will talk because DS is only for Dev Team to discuss their impediment and progress for current and last day.
    So if I do percentage 3 will win but it is also half incorrect according to other literature of Scrum.

Its seems you are clashing with our own knowledge during the test and just best IQ can make it . :(

Please answer which is correct ?

Thanks!
    Wab
    Wab

--
    11 Jan 2013 05:14 AM
    Hi,

I also choose option 3. But if that choise was correct...?

I found another tricky question.

Is scrummaster a management position. It think NOT, but I know the awnser must be YES.
    Philipp Eisbacher
    Philipp Eisbacher

--
    11 Jan 2013 06:02 AM
    @both: When you try the open assessment you get feedback on the questions afterwards.

@Qasim Sarfraz: The answer is in the description of the meeting in the scrumguide: Page 11"The Scrum Master enforces the rule that only Development Team members participate in the
    Daily Scrum. The Daily Scrum is not a status meeting, and is for the people transforming the
    Product Backlog items into an Increment."

There is no need for any external management in the daily scrum. what to do is planned and commited and how is on the development team. They only figure out what they do today, and if the need anyone else in the team to complete it.

If there is any problem in the sprint, so the sprinttarget can't be reached, this will show up at the daily scrum and must be reported immediatly after the daily scrum to the PO. So the Meeting is just for the team but can lead to insights that are relevant for external management

@Wap: The answer is yes. You don't be the manager of the team, but you need a position where you can drive change and remove impediments effective. And those are the impediments the scrumteam cannot solve on their own. So you need influence.

Br,
    Philipp
    Dominik Maximini
    Dominik Maximini

--
    11 Jan 2013 08:40 AM
    Hi Philipp,

I like your hint toward the Scrumguide. It's perfect.

However, your answer to Wab lacks some evidence - and I personally are not happy with it. It sounds a bit like "you only can be an effective Scrum Master if you are a functional manager" - which is of course wrong and I'm sure you didn't intend it to sound that way. I am sure you can back up your claim that the Scrum Master is a management position better!

Looking forward to your answer

Dominik
    Philipp Eisbacher
    Philipp Eisbacher

--
    11 Jan 2013 01:38 PM
    Hi Dominik.

Tanks vor the Feedback, I try to geht ist more clear:

Scrummaster is a Manager --> the Manager of the Scrumprocess, who ensures that scrum is done and can be done. He does not manage the Team.

You can see this in the way the SM acts. If there are any Problems with the product, the SM does not bing them up, or even worse, solves them or tells the Team how to solve it.
    Philipp Eisbacher
    Philipp Eisbacher

--
    11 Jan 2013 01:44 PM
    Sorry, this was not the komplette answer:

The SM doeS active Intervention wen there is something wrong in tue Prozess. Ehen daily standups geh missed vor example.

So if the question would be: Iss the SM a Manager in for the Developmentteam? Then the answer would be no but as ist is only the question "Management Position" ist is clearly yes

Br
    Dominik Maximini
    Dominik Maximini

--
    11 Jan 2013 02:10 PM
    There you go.
    However, I wouldn't go so far as to say that he isn't allowed to bring problems with the product up / make them transparent. If he spots them, he has to point them out. Otherwise he would hinder the progress of the team.
    Otherwise, you are completely right! :-)
    Patricia Kong
    Patricia Kong

--
    11 Jan 2013 04:12 PM
    Hi Qasim,
    It's great that you are getting help and feedback from the Scrum.org community in our forum! If you have specific questions from the PSM I test, feel free to email support@scrum.org, otherwise, please continue to share topical questions on the forum. We want to avoid other people having direct question and answers from the test. ;)
    Also, we are looking for better ways to provide feedback to our students after they take an assessment. Currently, the process is manual because our system doesn't allow general feedback, and we cannot offer detailed answers like we do in the Scrum Open.
    Good luck in your studies!
    Patricia
    Qasim Sarfraz
    Qasim Sarfraz

--
    12 Jan 2013 04:37 AM
    Hi Patricia,

Thanks for feedback I can understand your point of you and I respect that. I will take care of that next time. But there should be proper feedback after exam. So anyone can know where he/she did wrong and which area weak.
    Joshua Partogi
    Joshua Partogi

--
    14 Jan 2013 05:35 AM
    I am not trying to be commercial, but to answer PSM I you need the proper mindset instead of memorizing the answers. Maybe you can get a PSM Training near you. The trainers will help you get the proper mindset during the training. It helped me a lot.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback