Forums

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. If you have left the first and last name fields blank on your member profile, your email address will be displayed instead.

All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Study Tips for the PSM I
Last Post 13 Oct 2016 01:15 PM by Christopher Fraser. 133 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 5 of 6 << < 23456 > >>
Author Messages
Brindha Ravichandran
Brindha Ravichandran

--
24 Dec 2015 05:04 AM
Hello
I am planning to take PSM I certification and I find all these comments very useful. Thanks for everyone posting these comments. I am trying to take open assessments at scrum.org, but I could only find Scrum (basic knowledge), Nexus, Product Owner and Developer. Lot of people here mention an open assessment for Scrum master on this site but I am not able to find it as a free option as all the posters here have stated. Can somebody help me find this assessment?

I am using the assessments from this link:https://www.scrum.org/Assessments/Open-Assessments

Thanks
Steve Porter
Steve Porter

--
24 Dec 2015 05:10 AM
Hi Brindha,

The Scrum Master open assessment that people are referring to is the 'basic knowledge' open.

Ta.
Steve Porter
Brindha Ravichandran
Brindha Ravichandran

--
24 Dec 2015 10:12 AM
Thanks Steve.
Brindha Ravichandran
Brindha Ravichandran

--
30 Dec 2015 05:37 AM
Hello All,
I am preparing for PSM 1 exams. I haven't attended any formal training on this. I am going through Scrum Guide, Nexus Guide and Open Assessments available in Scrum.org.

1) Nexus OPen assessments does not show the right answers not does it provides a feedback. Not sure why it does that. So i am not able to figure out how to see the right answers.Any suggestions, please?
2)Are there any other website that will provide a full length PSM 1 practise test? If so, can you provide details?
3)Is reading Scrum and Nexus guide alone is sufficient to take the PSM 1 certification?
4)Does PSM 1 questions will cover questions about Nexus?
Thank you in advance for taking your time to provide feedback.
Rafael Medina
Rafael Medina

--
30 Dec 2015 06:30 AM
-Full length practice test: Try Michael's simulator. It is free with 80 questions and mostly compliant to scrum:
http://mlapshin.com/index.php/2015/...-is-ready/

-Scrum and Nexus guides are not enough unless you have several years of ground experience. Since you seem to have minimal experience, you need additional background and techniques. Try the following two books. They are terrific in their substance and compliant to scrum.

1. Scrum - A Pocket Guide http://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Pocket-...B00GY6WRTG
2. Scrum Narrative and PSM Exam Guide - https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/592973

-Nexus question
when i took the test, there were two questions on large teams and scrum term for scaling. there wont be many questions.

Go through the tips in charles bradley site: scrumcrazy.com

Important: keep away from many online tests. Most of them have less qualified people behind them and quality is poor. Sometimes that may lead to confusion and wrong selection in the test

Brindha Ravichandran
Brindha Ravichandran

--
31 Dec 2015 05:54 AM
Thanks for your response.

I will read through the books that you suggested.

I took the Nexus Open Assessment test and not sure what should be the answer for this questions:

"Management has planned for over 200 developers to plan a new, critical product. Prior to them formed into teams and beginning to develop the software , an overall architecture and integrating design is needed. WHich of the following approaches employs Scrum and Agile principles effectively?

a)form one or two teams of best developers to create a foundation that represent the non functional requirements and also several high value functions.
b)Have the best designers and developers create an appropriate design and architecture. Include design models that the rest of the developers will include while implementing features.
c)Design and instantiate an appropriate SOA before beginning feature development.Train development teams on how to consume the shared SOA in their future development. Then begin future development sprints.
d)Form a team of architects and designers. This team will serve as consultant to the other scrum teams as integration question arise during development.
Rafael Medina
Rafael Medina

--
31 Dec 2015 08:40 PM
I will try to answer this using three sources. First remember these principles and analyze the questions in their light.

1. Agile manifesto:
" The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams"

2. Scrum Guide:
" Scrum recognizes no titles for Development Team members other than Developer, regardless of the work being performed by the person; there are no exceptions to this rule "

3. Scrum Narrative and PSM Exam Guide:
" Traditional projects create upfront design: Traditionally, the entire technical design is usually created before the development begins. This design is based on the current understanding of business needs and technical solution patterns used in the past.
In Scrum, Development Teams emerge the design throughout the journey: Development Teams do not create a big upfront design before they start Sprints. Instead they evolve the design "

a)form one or two teams of best developers to create a foundation that represent the non functional requirements and also several high value functions.

This choice is not so clear in its language. But I understand it as "Start the Scrum with few self-organized teams so they evolve the foundation architecture in initial Sprints along with Product Increments. Then increase the number of the teams". This choice is in agreement with all the three principles above. Hence this is the correct choice

b)Have the best designers and developers create an appropriate design and architecture. Include design models that the rest of the developers will include while implementing features.

This choice confronts three principles above. There is apparent lack of self-organization inferred by the phrase "rest of the developers - us Vs them". There is no role called designer. There is no big-bang upfront architecture before Sprints. Hence this choice appears incorrect

c)Design and instantiate an appropriate SOA before beginning feature development.Train development teams on how to consume the shared SOA in their future development. Then begin future development sprints.

Again - There is no big-bang upfront architecture before Sprints. Also, this choice apparently suggests there is a 'design team' that will later train 'development teams.' Specific reference SOA is clumsy. Hence this choice appears incorrect

d)Form a team of architects and designers. This team will serve as consultant to the other scrum teams as integration question arise during development.

Again - There is no role called designer or architect (us Vs them). Hence this choice appears incorrect
Brindha Ravichandran
Brindha Ravichandran

--
02 Jan 2016 06:00 AM
Thank you.
Brindha Ravichandran
Brindha Ravichandran

--
03 Jan 2016 04:03 PM
Sprint Duration and Event:

1) Who decides the SPrint Duration and during which event this is decided?

My understanding is Product Owner makes the ultimate decision on how long a Sprint can be(with the help of the Sprint Team).
This decision will be made before Sprint 1 starts.
Can anyone confirm this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jakub Karol Wiszowaty
Jakub Karol Wiszowaty

--
06 Jan 2016 10:05 PM
PSM I passed on the first attempt -> 91,3% (73/80).

The way I was learning:
-reading Scrum Guide many times (in both English and my native language)
-Scrum Open tests (for SM, PO and Dev) many times until getting consistently 100%
-http://mlapshin.com/index.php/psm-q...ning-mode/ (thank you so much Mikhail!)
-decided to buy 1 week access to http://www.agileprojectmanagementtraining.com/ to check my knowledge with different questions

I was preparing for a week or a little bit longer.

In my opinion exam is much harder than Scrum Open questions. I recommend:
-paying attention to every question from Scrum Open and be sure why the answer is correct and why the others are incorrect
-use bookmarking during the exam for all questions you`re not sure about

Good luck!
Anitha Samraj
Anitha Samraj

--
15 Jan 2016 04:42 AM
Hi, I want to take the exam on Sunday. I am getting 90% in the open assessment and 67- 80% in the mock test mlapshin mock test. Should I take the test or not? please suggest.

regards,
Anitha

I want to know the answers for the following questions:
1) The project is divided into four Sprints, each Sprint is one week long, then the Sprint Planning is ...(duration)
a)8 hrs
b)2 hrs
c)4hrs
d)3 hrs

2)The project is divided into two Sprints, each Sprint is two weeks long, then ... 
a) We could schedule only one Grooming meeting
b) We could schedule Grooming as needed but the total could not exceed more than [5,10]% of the Sprint
c) We could schedule at least two Grooming meetings which each one is two hours long
d) It doesn’t make sense any Grooming meeting

3)The Sprint is two weeks long. What's true?

a)Sprint Planning is 8 hours long, Daily Meeting is 15 minutes long, Sprint Review is 2 hours long, and Sprint Retrospective is 3 hours long

b)Sprint Planning is 4 hours long, Daily Meeting is 15 minutes long, Sprint Review is 4 hours long, and Sprint Retrospective is 3 hours long

c)Sprint Planning is 4 hours long, Daily Meeting is 15 minutes long, Sprint Review is 2 hours long, and Sprint Retrospective is 90 minutes long
d)Sprint Planning is 4 hours long, Daily Meeting is 15 minutes long, Sprint Review is 2 hours long, and Sprint Retrospective is 3 hours long

The Product Backlog is divided into four Sprints, A, B, C and D. What will be delivered in the third Sprint Review?
a) A,B,C
b)C,D
c)C,
d) None
Pradip Ghosh
Pradip Ghosh

--
15 Jan 2016 05:15 AM
Hi Anitha,

I would request to practice little more before going for PSM I. Improve your score in Open Assessments to 100% & mlashpin also same.

Answers for above questions:

1- b (Sprint Planning is time-boxed to a maximum of eight hours for a one-month Sprint. For shorter Sprints, the event is usually shorter.) For 4 weeks sprint it's 8 hrs so for 1 weeks sprint it will be 2 hrs.
2- b (The Scrum Team decides how and when refinement is done. Refinement usually consumes no more than 10% of the capacity of the Development Team.). As per my understanding it is best option.
3- c (proportionately based on timeboxes for these events for a 30 days sprints)
4- I think question is not correctly articulated. As per my understanding PBIs NOT PB is divided/selected into Sprints.
Ian Mitchell
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ian Mitchell

--
15 Jan 2016 07:32 AM
> 4- I think question is not correctly articulated.

It is very poorly articulated. I think it is trying to question which sprint increments will be delivered. If so, then the answer is presumably A, since each increment is cumulative and encompasses all previous increments.
Brindha Ravichandran
Brindha Ravichandran

--
17 Jan 2016 07:19 AM
Hello,
When I register for PSM 1 certification, is there a time limit for the password? I read in a forum that it might expire within 14 days but would like to confirm before I register. Thank you in advance.
Pradip Ghosh
Pradip Ghosh

--
17 Jan 2016 07:42 AM
Hi Brindha there is no password expiration date is set for any exam of Scrum.org.
Brindha Ravichandran
Brindha Ravichandran

--
18 Jan 2016 03:39 AM
Thanks Pradip
Aamir Chanan Khan
Aamir Chanan Khan

--
08 Feb 2016 06:43 AM
Great links and tips!

Many questions come right out of Scrum Guide and Open Assessments test. Sadly, lot of questions are presented that only an experienced SM or Agile experienced person can answer.

I got 100% every time I took Open Assessment and Question bank I subscribed, yet still failed :)

Few things:

1. Getting a Cert. will not make you a great SM.
2. Experience counts a lot here.
3. Scrum Guide is a great place to start but do read online and get a couple of books.
4. Write down your knowledge and understanding on paper. Framework and Principles, you just have to memorize.
5. Well, gotta run to study for exam again. Sucks, but have to do it as industry relies on Paper not your experience and knowledge when it comes to Certifications.

6. Oh and Recruites (Head Hunters) dont know anything about Agile (Scrum, Kanban, BDD, TDD, ATDD, XP) so dont try to correct them as they are also just riding the buzzword bandwagon rather than understanding and gaining knowledge.

Scrum on!
Orlando Camargo
Orlando Camargo

--
22 Feb 2016 09:02 AM
Today i´ve become a PSM I certified with a 96% score, after a week of self-preparation, and I´d like to thank everyone of you who kept answering and filling this topic with great resources, ideas and support to all of us out here trying to attend this test. As a unexeperienced scrum master, i´ve tried to look out for the most of things i could use to my studies, but the best tips i can give you is:

Doing the PSM I open assessment and getting a 100% score as many as you can get in the minimum amount of time, as long as many of its questions appear at the real exam. PSPO is also a good test you can take;

Doing the Mock Quiz provided by Mikhail Lapshin on his website the same way as stated above. You can check it on http://mlapshin.com/index.php/psm-q...real-mode/

Reading Scrum and XP from the trenches is also a must to all of you who, like me, does not have practical experience at applying Scrum. Some of its topics are covered by the exam questions, besides is a really enjoyable reading.

Anyway, i think this is it. Again, many thank you and good luck to everyone who´s intending to become PSM I certified.
Srinivas Rao Sadhu
Srinivas Rao Sadhu

--
24 Feb 2016 12:27 PM
Today I took the PSM I exam and am certified now with 92% score.
The steps I followed :
- Scrum Guide: Wen through the guide multiple times. Every single sentence matters from the scrum guide.
- Open Assessments: Did the assessments multiple times. This was really really helpful. Can't stress enough on this.
- Mock Quiz provided by Mikhail Lapshin - This was really helpful. Thank you Mikhail for helping all of the aspirant PSMs.
- Went through the Scrum and XP from the trenches ebook - Will help in answering questions when you have to wear the scrum master hat in real life situations.

Thanks everyone for your posts as well.
Cheers !!!
Sailesh Yakkala
Sailesh Yakkala

--
22 Mar 2016 09:50 PM
Hello All,

Today , I have completed my PSM1 certification ( 93% score) in the first attempt.

For the PSM1 certification, Please go through the scrum guide thoroughly such that you should understand the complete scrum framework and their responsibilities.

Please go through the open assessments frequently such that you should score 100% atleast 3 times consecutively.

I have gone through Agile software development with SCRUM book twice.

Go through any sample/ free Demo tests that are available online..

Get some knowledge on handling multiple scrum teams/Scrum NExus too.

Dont take it easy as there are chances to have a time constraint as well. So you should be able to read the question quickly and understand it on the first attempt rather than re-reading it many times . Because we will be having just 75 seconds for each question.

Blue Garfield
Blue Garfield

--
27 Mar 2016 02:29 PM
Hello,

I have just completed my PSM1 certification (97.5% score). Two questions were wrongly answered.

--------------------------------- STUDY ---------------------------------------
As part of my preparation, I went through:

1) The Scrum Guide - 3 times (each time will discover something new)
2) Agile Product Management with Scrum - 1 time
3) Scrum Glossary - 1 time
4) Nexus Guide v1.1 - 2 times

--------------------------------- MOCKUP QUESTIONS ---------------------------------------
I didn't spend any money to buy any material, but familiarized myself with questions from:

1) Scrum.org Open Assessment (https://www.scrum.org/Assessments/Open-Assessments) - Scrum Open, Product Owner Open, Developer Open - Nexus Open does not provide really comprehensive feedback
2) http://mlapshin.com/index.php/psm-quiz/ - real good. Thanks a lot to Mikhail!! Don't forget about the "Scaled Scrum Quiz" available here!
3) http://www.bostonagiletraining.com/...tice-Exam/
4) http://mplaza.pm/product/psm-preparation-practice-test/ - search for the words "Sample PSM I Exam" and click the "Start Quiz" button

I completed all the questions many times until I could get 100% consistently.

--------------------------------- ACTUAL SCRUM EXPERIENCE ---------------------------------------
Personally, to pass the exam, I don't think practical Scrum experience would be very helpful, because actual Scrum practices tend to "contaminate" the original theories to certain level, for example, to have a Sprint 0, to have gap between Sprints etc. These may make you feel "no harm to have" therefore make you choose the wrong answer during the exam.

After passing the exam, it's of course useful how to practice it in real life. I find the following FREE stuff quite useful:
1) http://scrumtrainingseries.com/
2) http://wwwis.win.tue.nl/2R690/doc/ScrumAndXpFromTheTrenchesonline07-31.pdf

--------------------------------- "NOT SO RIGHT" REFERENCES ---------------------------------------
Last but not least, I referred to the following resources too, but found they are NOT 100% correct:

1) The-Scrum-Master-Training-Manual-Vr1.3 (it has nice useful visual aid)

Error Examples:
a) Each item in the PRODUCT BACKLOG should normally be developed/completed in a single Sprint. (it should be a Sprint Backlog)
b) Sprint Backlog items are FROZEN & DO NOT CHANGE.
c) The Sprint Backlog items and the Sprint Goal are FROZEN.
d) A SCRUM TEAM should have 2 essential characteristics - self-organized & cross-functional. (it should be Development Team)

2) http://freescrumtraining.org/assessments/ (a lot of questions here, but not all the answered provided are correct.)

Error Examples:
a) only Development Team and Scrum Master should attend the Sprint Retrospective. (The entire Scrum Team should participate)
b) Sprint Burnup chart plots the user story points or money completed against time.
c) Burndown chart tells the rate of progress in terms of money spent & value added.
d) Sprint Backlog can be prioritized by the Product Owner during a Sprint.
e) Sprint Backlog cannot be changed during a Sprint.

That's all I'd like to share. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Happy Scrumming everyone!
Imtiyaz Hussain Hirehal Mirza Hussain
Imtiyaz Hussain Hirehal Mirza Hussain

--
28 Apr 2016 07:55 AM
I completely agree with all those who have recommended the MPlaza's practice exams apart from the Open Assessments.
The practice exams are full length (80 questions and 60 minutes), and the answers provided at the end for all the questions which you can really relate and refer to the Scrum Guide.
I also like the flash cards.
ROBERT BIRKLAND
ROBERT BIRKLAND

--
05 May 2016 02:32 PM
Just passed!! 97%

Pepped by reading the Scrum Guide. Also purchased the practice exams from http://mplaza.pm

Passed all 3 practice assessments, then a day later took the real test and past. Recommend the practice exams as going into the test I was 100% confident of passing.

Benjamin d'Eusanio
Benjamin d'Eusanio

--
06 May 2016 10:45 AM
Hi,

I'm not here to say what's good or not.
My advises are the next ones:
Read the scrum guide,
Read the Agile Manifesto,
Pass the open assessments (PO, Scrum Open, Developper),
You'll find on http://mlapshin.com few tests to improve yourself with good explanations.

You can also spend some time on the forum, reading some threads.

Have a nice day
Pankaj Bisht
Pankaj Bisht

--
10 Aug 2016 11:47 AM
Thanks everyone for your amazing inputs. It helped me a lot. Cleared the exam with 92%
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 5 of 6 << < 23456 > >>

Feedback