Forums

By posting to our forums you are agreeing to the Forum terms of use.
Questions for PSM I
Last Post 28 Dec 2013 08:21 AM by Om Prakash Bang. 10 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Resolved
Douglas
Douglas

--
03 Aug 2013 02:24 PM
    Hi,

I have few questions:

1) Can one person be a Development Team member and Scrum Master at the same time?

2) Can one person be a Development Team member and Product Owner at the same time?

3) Who is "self-organization" and "cross-functionality"? The entire Scrum Team or the Development Team?

Thank you!
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    04 Aug 2013 05:57 AM
    A Development Team member can also be a Scrum Master or a Product Owner for that team. However, no-one can be a Product Owner and a Scrum Master for the same team at the same time.

Both the Development Team and the Scrum Team at large are expected to self-organize. However, only the Development Team is expected to be cross-functional, in so far as no further role specializations are allowed within it.
    Mini Sreedhar Nair
    Mini Sreedhar Nair

--
    04 Aug 2013 07:32 AM
    hi i have one question. Is release planning ,sprint review, sprint retrospective ,daily scrum feedback loops in scrum
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    04 Aug 2013 02:04 PM
    A Sprint Review, Sprint Retrospective, and the Daily Scrum all provide feedback loops.

Scrum does not have an event called Release Planning.
    Douglas
    Douglas

--
    05 Aug 2013 05:38 PM
    Passed with 93%!
    Thank you all!
    Iman
    Iman

--
    24 Aug 2013 09:32 AM
    Hey Ian,

Can advise why 'no-one can be a Product Owner and a Scrum Master for the same team at the same time' ?
    I understand after reading the Scrum Guide that the Product Owner or Scrum Master can be a Development Team. But it doesn't mention that Product Owner can be a Scrum Master.

I'm imagining it's possible.

Posted By Ian Mitchell on 04 Aug 2013 06:57 AM
    A Development Team member can also be a Scrum Master or a Product Owner for that team. However, no-one can be a Product Owner and a Scrum Master for the same team at the same time.

Both the Development Team and the Scrum Team at large are expected to self-organize. However, only the Development Team is expected to be cross-functional, in so far as no further role specializations are allowed within it.

Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    24 Aug 2013 12:29 PM
    Hi Iman

The Scrum Master owes a separate duty of service to the Product Owner and the Development Team. The Development Team should have no less than 3 members, which means that at least one of them is neither the PO or the SM. Hence there would be a potential conflict of interest in having an SM on that team who is also the PO.
    Iman
    Iman

--
    24 Aug 2013 01:12 PM
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for your quick reply!
    Please bear with me since I'm still in the beginning of learning Scrum.

I understand that Scrum Master has separate duties with P.O. or D.T. It's clearly categorized in the guide.
    But still, I don't get why S.M. can't be the same as P.O.

D.T. can't be less than 3 members. But how about the case if there are 3 members of D.T. and 1 P.O. / S.M. so in total, there are 4 members in the team?

Comparing with PO that can also be DT (or SM also a DT), the decision they made could be 2 different point of view. And it seems it rarely conflicted each other.

The same thing if I imagine my self as PO / SM. I can still wear a different hat when having scrum events. And the decision I will make, doesn't seems going to be conflicted each other.
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    24 Aug 2013 01:51 PM
    You are right that the Scrum Guide does not expressly forbid it. Therefore, if there is no possibility of a conflict of interest that would affect other DT members, then the PO and the SM could indeed be the same person.

I'll leave it to you and your team to decide how realistic that situation is.

One other thing to consider: what you are suggesting is no more or less permissible than conflating (say) Scrum events together. Scrum roles, events, and artifacts are enumerated separately in the Guide, and for good reason.
    Iman
    Iman

--
    24 Aug 2013 06:29 PM
    hi Ian,

Thanks for your time discussing this. My self never tried this thing either.

Most of the time I'm acting as product owner in the team. Then, since I am interested with the PSM, there could be someday this case happens.

Hope it really does not have a conflict.

Cheers!
    Om Prakash Bang
    Om Prakash Bang

--
    28 Dec 2013 08:21 AM
    3 Roles in scrum are having distinct roles and responsibility. One person assuming more than ONE role might have adverse effect. Scrum Team size is 3 to 9 excluding PO and SM.

Product Owner should not be from Development Team.
    Scrum Master can be from Development Team, however he should be very clear and express what role is he is playing at given point of time. He should manage time so that he can effectively participate in development team. It's good if scrum master provides his services to more than one scrum team instead of being part of development team.
    Scrum Master / development team can help product owner in refining user stories, however accountability lies with Product Owner.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback