Forums

By posting to our forums you are agreeing to the Forum terms of use.
Scrum PSM1 Questions
Last Post 27 Oct 2013 01:03 PM by Illya Pavlichenko. 5 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
LC
LC

--
23 Sep 2013 02:21 PM
    Hello,

I am preparing for Scrum PSM 1 and need some advice regrading below questions...

1) Latest Scrum guide has removed grooming keyword and introduced refinement keyword. If there is a question on grooming in exam with options say, a) grooming b) none of these. Shall i still be selecting "grooming" as right answer OR follow Scrum guide and opt for "none of these".

2) Every Scrum team must have a dedicated product owner and Scrum Master OR they can also be PO/SM for other teams?

3) What if dev team not having all required tools and infra to completely finish any PB's items? Should they redefine "Done" and do the same work for PB items And also improve its skills, tools etc over time and adjust DOD accordingly? Or, some other approach need to be followed here.

4) Can a development team deliver a single document at the end of Sprint, if PO asked for it?

5) Can a development team deliver a working software with minor known bugs in it?

6) Development teams are working in different physical locations and having logistic issues before the Daily Scrum. Should the SM tell team how to do it OR let the DT self-manage and determine what to do?

7) What a sprint backlog can include - User Stories, Tasks, use cases, tests OR any of these being a decomposition of selected PB items.? As per Scrum guide 2010 - Sprint backlog is a list of tasks and user stories, use cases and tests are part of PB.

Thankyou
    LC
    Nitin Khanna
    Nitin Khanna

--
    23 Sep 2013 08:04 PM
    Hello Lalit,

Allow me to share some insights, without necessarily giving away some answers. I hope this doesn't frustrate you or anyone else reading, but rather raise some questions to try and reinforce some concepts.

(2) Think about whether the question is asking whether there can be multiple Product Owners or Scrum Masters' for the same team, or something else?

(3) Think about whether this realization comes during a Sprint, or raised later, say at a Retrospective? Should the team do the best it can? Is it acceptable to have the DoD evolve? Is it the tools, or the skill-set in question?

(4) Should the Dev Team take on the risk and/or burden of challenging the PO in what is to be delivered?

(5) Appears to go against the spirit of a potentially shippable / releasable increment.

(6) Review the section "Scrum Master Service to the Development Team" -- also, what is "self-manage" implying?

(7) In the Feb. 2010 Guide, this is listed under the "Tip" section on the right hand side. i.e. Its not mandatory to use these alone....

Hope some of this helps.
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    24 Sep 2013 04:11 AM
    1) Latest Scrum guide has removed grooming keyword and introduced refinement keyword. If there is a question on grooming in exam with options say, a) grooming b) none of these. Shall i still be selecting "grooming" as right answer OR follow Scrum guide and opt for "none of these".

Answer: I'd be inclined to still select "grooming". It's unlikely the questions in the test engine will have been falsified on the basis of this change in terminology.

2) Every Scrum team must have a dedicated product owner and Scrum Master OR they can also be PO/SM for other teams?

Answer: I think we need to be careful with the wording here. They should be dedicated in the sense that they can fulfil their roles without compromise. That isn't necessarily the same thing as being 100% allocated to a team.

3) What if dev team not having all required tools and infra to completely finish any PB's items? Should they redefine "Done" and do the same work for PB items And also improve its skills, tools etc over time and adjust DOD accordingly? Or, some other approach need to be followed here.

Answer: The Definition of Done should always express what is realistically achievable. If a Development Team do not own their own process, and cannot take a backlog item through to completion by themselves, then their DoD should reflect that. They should then improve their skills, tools etc. as you suggest and bring their DoD closer to release-level quality.

4) Can a development team deliver a single document at the end of Sprint, if PO asked for it?

Answer: Yes. It can be negotiated into the Sprint during Sprint Planning. It's up to the PO to determine its priority and business value.

5) Can a development team deliver a working software with minor known bugs in it?

Answer: Yes. In fact they can deliver working software with major bugs in it, not just minor ones. What matters is that the defects are understood by the PO so he or she can make an informed release decision.

6) Development teams are working in different physical locations and having logistic issues before the Daily Scrum. Should the SM tell team how to do it OR let the DT self-manage and determine what to do?

Answer: The SM should encourage the Development Team to self-manage, and be prepared to assist and coach them, in order to ensure that the Daily Scrum happens and that the rules are followed.

7) What a sprint backlog can include - User Stories, Tasks, use cases, tests OR any of these being a decomposition of selected PB items.? As per Scrum guide 2010 - Sprint backlog is a list of tasks and user stories, use cases and tests are part of PB.

Answer: A Sprint Backlog is the Development Team's plan for delivering selected Product Backlog Items in order to meet a Sprint Goal. As such, it should contain whatever the team think is needed for the job. The contents might be tasks, the stories themselves, spike activities, a reminder to bring in doughnuts and coffee, or any combination of such things.
    LC
    LC

--
    25 Sep 2013 07:53 PM
    Thanks guys. I cleared PSM 1 in first attempt with 94% score.
    Ayan Kumar Samanta
    Ayan Kumar Samanta

--
    30 Sep 2013 11:07 AM
    Congrats Lalit!!!!

Can you pl let me know what all things i need to study as preparation for the PSM-1 exam.. Things I have already done :
    1. Read the scrum guide
    2. Read the book - Agile Project Management with Scrum
    3. Practiced the Open assessment tests more than once.

Please let me know what all stuff i need to from my end to successfully pass the exam in a single try, considering i have not managed any scrum project or worked in the same earlier...
    Illya Pavlichenko
    Illya Pavlichenko

--
    27 Oct 2013 01:03 PM
    Regarding the 4th question:
    Can a development team deliver a single document at the end of Sprint, if PO asked for it?

I think it's not possible, because the Development Team should create at least some piece of functionality by the end of every Sprint in conformance to DoD. I don't think it's possible with only single document.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback