Forums

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. If you have left the first and last name fields blank on your member profile, your email address will be displayed instead.

All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Scrum PSM1 Questions
Last Post 16 Jul 2014 06:36 AM by Ilia Pavlichenko. 9 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Lalit Chugh
Lalit Chugh

--
23 Sep 2013 10:21 AM
    Hello,

I am preparing for Scrum PSM 1 and need some advice regrading below questions...

1) Latest Scrum guide has removed grooming keyword and introduced refinement keyword. If there is a question on grooming in exam with options say, a) grooming b) none of these. Shall i still be selecting "grooming" as right answer OR follow Scrum guide and opt for "none of these".

2) Every Scrum team must have a dedicated product owner and Scrum Master OR they can also be PO/SM for other teams?

3) What if dev team not having all required tools and infra to completely finish any PB's items? Should they redefine "Done" and do the same work for PB items And also improve its skills, tools etc over time and adjust DOD accordingly? Or, some other approach need to be followed here.

4) Can a development team deliver a single document at the end of Sprint, if PO asked for it?

5) Can a development team deliver a working software with minor known bugs in it?

6) Development teams are working in different physical locations and having logistic issues before the Daily Scrum. Should the SM tell team how to do it OR let the DT self-manage and determine what to do?

7) What a sprint backlog can include - User Stories, Tasks, use cases, tests OR any of these being a decomposition of selected PB items.? As per Scrum guide 2010 - Sprint backlog is a list of tasks and user stories, use cases and tests are part of PB.

Thankyou
    LC
    Nitin Khanna
    Nitin Khanna

--
    23 Sep 2013 04:04 PM
    Hello Lalit,

Allow me to share some insights, without necessarily giving away some answers. I hope this doesn't frustrate you or anyone else reading, but rather raise some questions to try and reinforce some concepts.

(2) Think about whether the question is asking whether there can be multiple Product Owners or Scrum Masters' for the same team, or something else?

(3) Think about whether this realization comes during a Sprint, or raised later, say at a Retrospective? Should the team do the best it can? Is it acceptable to have the DoD evolve? Is it the tools, or the skill-set in question?

(4) Should the Dev Team take on the risk and/or burden of challenging the PO in what is to be delivered?

(5) Appears to go against the spirit of a potentially shippable / releasable increment.

(6) Review the section "Scrum Master Service to the Development Team" -- also, what is "self-manage" implying?

(7) In the Feb. 2010 Guide, this is listed under the "Tip" section on the right hand side. i.e. Its not mandatory to use these alone....

Hope some of this helps.
    Ian Mitchell
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    24 Sep 2013 12:11 AM
    1) Latest Scrum guide has removed grooming keyword and introduced refinement keyword. If there is a question on grooming in exam with options say, a) grooming b) none of these. Shall i still be selecting "grooming" as right answer OR follow Scrum guide and opt for "none of these".

Answer: I'd be inclined to still select "grooming". It's unlikely the questions in the test engine will have been falsified on the basis of this change in terminology.

2) Every Scrum team must have a dedicated product owner and Scrum Master OR they can also be PO/SM for other teams?

Answer: I think we need to be careful with the wording here. They should be dedicated in the sense that they can fulfil their roles without compromise. That isn't necessarily the same thing as being 100% allocated to a team.

3) What if dev team not having all required tools and infra to completely finish any PB's items? Should they redefine "Done" and do the same work for PB items And also improve its skills, tools etc over time and adjust DOD accordingly? Or, some other approach need to be followed here.

Answer: The Definition of Done should always express what is realistically achievable. If a Development Team do not own their own process, and cannot take a backlog item through to completion by themselves, then their DoD should reflect that. They should then improve their skills, tools etc. as you suggest and bring their DoD closer to release-level quality.

4) Can a development team deliver a single document at the end of Sprint, if PO asked for it?

Answer: Yes. It can be negotiated into the Sprint during Sprint Planning. It's up to the PO to determine its priority and business value.

5) Can a development team deliver a working software with minor known bugs in it?

Answer: Yes. In fact they can deliver working software with major bugs in it, not just minor ones. What matters is that the defects are understood by the PO so he or she can make an informed release decision.

6) Development teams are working in different physical locations and having logistic issues before the Daily Scrum. Should the SM tell team how to do it OR let the DT self-manage and determine what to do?

Answer: The SM should encourage the Development Team to self-manage, and be prepared to assist and coach them, in order to ensure that the Daily Scrum happens and that the rules are followed.

7) What a sprint backlog can include - User Stories, Tasks, use cases, tests OR any of these being a decomposition of selected PB items.? As per Scrum guide 2010 - Sprint backlog is a list of tasks and user stories, use cases and tests are part of PB.

Answer: A Sprint Backlog is the Development Team's plan for delivering selected Product Backlog Items in order to meet a Sprint Goal. As such, it should contain whatever the team think is needed for the job. The contents might be tasks, the stories themselves, spike activities, a reminder to bring in doughnuts and coffee, or any combination of such things.
    Lalit Chugh
    Lalit Chugh

--
    25 Sep 2013 03:53 PM
    Thanks guys. I cleared PSM 1 in first attempt with 94% score.
    ayan samanta
    ayan samanta

--
    30 Sep 2013 07:07 AM
    Congrats Lalit!!!!

Can you pl let me know what all things i need to study as preparation for the PSM-1 exam.. Things I have already done :
    1. Read the scrum guide
    2. Read the book - Agile Project Management with Scrum
    3. Practiced the Open assessment tests more than once.

Please let me know what all stuff i need to from my end to successfully pass the exam in a single try, considering i have not managed any scrum project or worked in the same earlier...
    Ilia Pavlichenko
    Ilia Pavlichenko

--
    27 Oct 2013 09:03 AM
    Regarding the 4th question:
    Can a development team deliver a single document at the end of Sprint, if PO asked for it?

I think it's not possible, because the Development Team should create at least some piece of functionality by the end of every Sprint in conformance to DoD. I don't think it's possible with only single document.
    SUDHA CHAITANYA KALLURU
    SUDHA CHAITANYA KALLURU

--
    14 Jul 2014 07:43 PM
    Hi,

I have attempted PSM1 three (3) times so far. got 68%, 77%, 77% so far. very dis-heartened and dis appointed. I read scrum guide, took several Open assesments (always got 100%), ...................anyone please advise what am I missing and how can I bridge the gap ?

Score breakown on 3rd attempt:-
    ------------------------------
    Scrum Framework - 90%
    Theory & Principles - 75 %
    Cross-Functional, Self Organizing - 58%
    Coaching & Facilitation - 57%

please let me know what books or materials should I read and whatever it takes me to complete the Test with Success, please advice.......

Thank You
    Chaitu
    michael
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    michael

--
    15 Jul 2014 06:18 AM

Sudha,

Have you asked for the feedback from scrum.org on each attempt you have made?
    If you have the password mails you can request feedback on each one of the three so far.
    This may turn up a common theme in areas within scrum inside the topic.
    You wont be given the exact questions you failed on, what you will get is areas that you are needing study in.
    This would be my foundation if your looking to adapt and inspect what you have achieved so far.
    Its an achievement, not a failure and you are progressing with your studies, thats a good thing.
    Disheartened moving from 66% to a 77% means you are almost there with it, thats a real positive.
    Take the positive and push it further and am sure you will get to your goal.

Michael
    Byron Middleton
    Byron Middleton

--
    16 Jul 2014 12:54 AM

Posted By SUDHA CHAITANYA on 15 Jul 2014 12:43 AM
    Hi,

I have attempted PSM1 three (3) times so far. got 68%, 77%, 77% so far. very dis-heartened and dis appointed. I read scrum guide, took several Open assesments (always got 100%), ...................anyone please advise what am I missing and how can I bridge the gap ?

Score breakown on 3rd attempt:-
    ------------------------------
    Scrum Framework - 90%
    Theory & Principles - 75 %
    Cross-Functional, Self Organizing - 58%
    Coaching & Facilitation - 57%

please let me know what books or materials should I read and whatever it takes me to complete the Test with Success, please advice.......

Thank You
    Chaitu

Do you work in an Agile environment ? Are you trying to relate the questions to what you do rather than what you should do ?

Have you read the discussions in the forum ?

Self Organizing teams was something which I had to learn on my PSM II for both attempts and the feedback I received was

"A Scrum Master's role is that of a coach and a teacher. Their primary responsibility is to teach Scrum's theory, practices and rules. If the question asks how would you respond as a Scrum Master, don’t only focus on what you would do to solve the problem, but instead include in your answer that your primary function is guiding the team to solve their own problems by using the three pillars of empiricism. It’s too easy to fall back on our natural inclination to use our wisdom to solve other’s problems, but that does not encourage self-organization. A Scrum Master is not serving a team when they do something that the team could do themselves. This does not encourage self-organization."

and

"The only place where you lost any fairly sizable number of points was in your description of what parts of Scrum help with self organization. Scrum, being a framework, doesn't mandate a number of the practices you included in your answer."

I found it easier (having not a lot of scrum experience) trying to relate Scrum to what we've done in the past... eg our projects that we used to laugh about and design on the back of our Cigarette boxes.

Initial goal for project, broken down into what were main objectives and parts, decompose one object and do that. Every morning look at what we had done, and think of what we were doing next (plan for the day approach), see any problems and come up with plan of what we were going to do. At the end of that section, when it was complete, integrate that and pick a new piece of work and start again. The downside of our technique, used to be if we had a complicated project, we need a bigger cigarette box, so we used to draw it on the whiteboard.

But being serious, are you concentrating on the scrum exam too much and being too formal, rather than thinking about what you have to do to get a product out and then reading the scrum guide and tying it in to what you need to get done.

It's like at work at the minute, we have an approach of developers doing what they want... they code and to hell with everything else. They took agile and bent it into something else, anything which doesn't involve code is a no no to them.

They each write their own code and then dump it on QA team, so when it falls over, it's because it wasn't tested (not their problem). Quality is none existent and the QA team is snowed under. Back to basics, when does testing begin and who is responsible for quality.

They do a token standup every morning, when the developers have no idea of what the goal of the sprint is or what each other are working on. They have managed to silo themselves not only into a team of only developers, but ones which don't understand each others work. The standup to them is not checking the plan and adjusting as necessary, its an opportunity to answer 3 questions with no meaning to them.

Now given that scenario, read the guide, apply the framework and you can see straight away how it would work.

Add a good dose of XP, pair programming, test driven development, story boarding etc,

From there, the exam will probably make far more sense

Ilia Pavlichenko
    Ilia Pavlichenko

--
    16 Jul 2014 06:36 AM
    Read Scrum Pocket Guide by Gunter Verheyen. Anyway the best preparation is attending one of PSM classes. Find the one next to you.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback