Forums

By posting to our forums you are agreeing to the Forum terms of use.
PSM versus CSM
Last Post 24 Jan 2014 03:22 PM by Olivier Ledru. 5 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
apitcher
apitcher

--
17 Oct 2013 12:09 AM
    Evening all, I am brand spanking new to Scrum.org but after doing some poking around and what not believe this is where I want/need to be. I apologize if this question has been asked but I can't seem to find it so am throwing it out there.

Can anyone give me some insight as to the difference between CMS vs PSM. How they are perceived, are they equal? One better? Pros/Cons?

I am finding it more important to have some kind of "backing" to support that I know what I know and was pleased to find I could take the test without having to sit through the two day CSM training (plus I don't have that kind of cash laying around at the moment).

Is the PSM well received? Recognized? It seems to be more real world - in practice and less proof of training, but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Any information would be greatly appreciated and helpful.

Thanks
    Adam
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    17 Oct 2013 05:52 AM
    Many of us have certified under both schemes. I'm not going to get into the politics as to which is better, since much depends upon individual needs at a given moment in their career, but I'll assert that PSM is certainly *no less* respected than CSM.

Also, it is possible to sit PSM Level 1 a number of times for the price of a course.
    Prabhu Missier
    Prabhu Missier

--
    25 Oct 2013 03:32 AM
    Having done both I can safely say that there really is no difference between the two. After all Scrum is the same whatever be the organization certifying you.

In general certifications still aren't foolproof enough to weed out success via rote memorization and both the CSM and PSM1 certifications are no exception

At the end of the day a certification places you at the starting blocks. How you run the race after that is entirely upto you.
    Joshua Partogi
    Joshua Partogi

--
    15 Jan 2014 07:06 AM
    I wouldn't say they are the same. They are different and PSM is better. Not because I said it but because many people who has got both certificates have said so. I have summarised it here: http://blog.leanagile.in/post/54764...rum-master
    Illya Pavlichenko
    Illya Pavlichenko

--
    15 Jan 2014 07:17 AM
    Prabhu, unfortunately Scrum is not the same everywhere. I would love to see 100% the World referring to Scrum Guide. But that's not the case now (soon will be :)) If you look at the Scrum Core (Scrum Alliance) and Scrum Guide (Scrum.org) - they're quite different. We consider Scrum Guide is the primary source of knowledge as it was created and sustained by creators of Scrum: Ken Schwaber and Jeff Sutherland. Regarding the certifications - CSM is just a weak shadow of PSMI. CSM can be compared with PSF (Professiona Scrum Foundations). PSM course is more advanced level. Also it's very hard not to pass CSM 'exam' and it's really hard to pass PSMI.
    Olivier Ledru
    Olivier Ledru

--
    24 Jan 2014 03:22 PM
    I will add that PSM II is much more difficult and interesting than CSP.

PSM II also give me a lot of very valuable feedback and helped me to improve my understanding of Scrum.

CSP (as a proctored exam) is still "just" a multiple-choice test, without any feedback but your score. The phrasing was also very poor, which make the test difficult for no-english native people.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback