Forums

By posting to our forums you are agreeing to the Forum terms of use.
Release burndown chart
Last Post 29 Oct 2013 07:33 AM by Ian Mitchell. 2 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
Izabela
Izabela

--
29 Oct 2013 04:24 AM
    Hi,

I am working as a Product Owner and I would like to introduce Release burndown chart to my product. On web side: http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com...e-burndown I found that Scrum Master is responsible for it. "The release burndown chart is updated at the end of each sprint by the ScrumMaster."
    I did not find anything in Scrum Guide about Release burndown chart.
    So my question is:
    Who is responsible for updating release burndown chart?
    Thank you :).
    Joerg Keller
    Joerg Keller

--
    29 Oct 2013 07:08 AM
    Hi Izabela

The release burn-down / burn-up was part of earlier Scrum Guides but has been removed. See an article explaining about that: https://www.scrum.org/About/All-Articles/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/17/Gone-are-Release-Planning-and-the-Release-Burndown.

Even if not required, the chart is still a good tool to track progress and provide visibility. So if you as a PO want to introduce it, do it yourself or ask the team to provide it. Maybe they have a kind of Sprint-DoD to update the chart. If so, you make it the responsibility of the team.
    The Scrum Master may help the team to create the chart or to setup the rules for updating it, but I wouldn't say that it is his/her responsibility to draw it.

BTW, I much prefer Release Burn-Ups to Burn-Downs because it allows to see the total of all planned items for the release in addition to the progress.

Regards, Jörg.
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    29 Oct 2013 07:33 AM
    > Who is responsible for updating release burndown chart?

In an agile or lean way of working, a burndown chart should be updated by the first team member who sees that this needs doing.

This principle of "going to where the work is" holds for updating information radiators as well as for expediting work in the value stream.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback