Forums

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. If you have left the first and last name fields blank on your member profile, your email address will be displayed instead.

All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Incomplete Transparency
Last Post 03 Nov 2015 03:16 AM by Ruud Rietveld. 6 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
Ilia Pavlichenko
Ilia Pavlichenko

--
01 Nov 2013 01:50 AM
    Hello All,

it's interesting what practices you (as Scrum Masters) use for coping with incomplete transparency of the artifacts - Product Backlog, Sprint Backlog, Increment. And what does it mean for you this quote from the Scrum Guide: "A Scrum Master can detect incomplete transparency by inspecting the artifacts, sensing patterns, listening closely to what is being said, and detecting differences between expected and real results. "
    Ian Mitchell
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    01 Nov 2013 03:21 AM
    I consider transparency to be the first step in any agile transformation. I usually set up a task or kanban board on the first day of an engagement. If there happens to be one already, I'll get the team to challenge how much is *really* in progress, how they know "done" work is done, where the impediments lie and what dependencies exist, and who determines the backlog and what the priorities are. I think it's important to do this before any attempts are made to change the client's process. The first action is just to throw a window over current practices, such that stakeholders have a shared view of their own reality.

So to address your point, as a Scrum Master I don't actually "cope" with incomplete transparency at all. Gaining an appropriate level of transparency is the most important and the most immediate challenge. Coaching stakeholders to value that transparency, and to handle the issues that are exposed, is the tricky part. Once you get that co-operation actual process improvements can begin.
    Joshua Partogi
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Joshua Partogi

--
    01 Nov 2013 03:44 AM
    Hi Illya,

Why do you cope with it instead of fixing it?
    Ilia Pavlichenko
    Ilia Pavlichenko

--
    01 Nov 2013 05:23 AM
    @Joshua I just quoted a Scrum Guide. It talks about "coping with incomplete transparency". I guess it's a question to Ken :)

@Ian Thumbs Up! This is just the same thing I do when approach a new team - visualizing, using Kanban/Scrum boards.
    Personally I am a big fan of the concept called "total visualization". Big information radiators include Scrum boards, Impediments Board, Burndown/BurnUp Charts, Working Agreements, Team Values, Definition of Done etc.
    It gives a big picture of what is going on, group memory and more engagement. There's no more place where to hide the problems.
    Prabhu Missier
    Prabhu Missier

--
    03 Nov 2013 01:44 AM
    Institutionalizing a framework is sometimes made easier by using tools. In my case I found that choosing the right set of continuous integration and reporting tools which scale well with team size and project size, training the team and promoting its use also helps in ensuring transparency
    Ilia Pavlichenko
    Ilia Pavlichenko

--
    03 Nov 2013 06:02 AM
    @Prabhu
    Nice, you're talking about transparency of Increment? What about Sprint Backlog and Product Backlog transparency? How do you handle it?
    Ruud Rietveld
    Ruud Rietveld

--
    03 Nov 2015 03:16 AM
    I understand 'coping' with incomplete transparency as something you have to do in the transition period.

Yes, you want to fix it as soon as possible, and making the three artifacts very visible is a good way, and still you will encounter that work will be done which is not in the Sprint Backlog, so more awareness and visualisation is needed, and during Sprint Planning a whole new top-priority PBI can pop-up, etc.

So everything is visual and transparent, but the world changes and then the visualisation is outdated. Making everyone aware of this and teaching them to update timely, is coping as well...

I guess that is what Ken & Jeff meant with the statement.

Cheers,
    Ruud
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback