Forums

By posting to our forums you are agreeing to the Forum terms of use.
Incomplete Transparency
Last Post 03 Nov 2013 10:02 AM by Illya Pavlichenko. 5 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
Illya Pavlichenko
Illya Pavlichenko

--
01 Nov 2013 05:50 AM
    Hello All,

it's interesting what practices you (as Scrum Masters) use for coping with incomplete transparency of the artifacts - Product Backlog, Sprint Backlog, Increment. And what does it mean for you this quote from the Scrum Guide: "A Scrum Master can detect incomplete transparency by inspecting the artifacts, sensing patterns, listening closely to what is being said, and detecting differences between expected and real results. "
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    01 Nov 2013 07:21 AM
    I consider transparency to be the first step in any agile transformation. I usually set up a task or kanban board on the first day of an engagement. If there happens to be one already, I'll get the team to challenge how much is *really* in progress, how they know "done" work is done, where the impediments lie and what dependencies exist, and who determines the backlog and what the priorities are. I think it's important to do this before any attempts are made to change the client's process. The first action is just to throw a window over current practices, such that stakeholders have a shared view of their own reality.

So to address your point, as a Scrum Master I don't actually "cope" with incomplete transparency at all. Gaining an appropriate level of transparency is the most important and the most immediate challenge. Coaching stakeholders to value that transparency, and to handle the issues that are exposed, is the tricky part. Once you get that co-operation actual process improvements can begin.
    Joshua Partogi
    Joshua Partogi

--
    01 Nov 2013 07:44 AM
    Hi Illya,

Why do you cope with it instead of fixing it?
    Illya Pavlichenko
    Illya Pavlichenko

--
    01 Nov 2013 09:23 AM
    @Joshua I just quoted a Scrum Guide. It talks about "coping with incomplete transparency". I guess it's a question to Ken :)

@Ian Thumbs Up! This is just the same thing I do when approach a new team - visualizing, using Kanban/Scrum boards.
    Personally I am a big fan of the concept called "total visualization". Big information radiators include Scrum boards, Impediments Board, Burndown/BurnUp Charts, Working Agreements, Team Values, Definition of Done etc.
    It gives a big picture of what is going on, group memory and more engagement. There's no more place where to hide the problems.
    Prabhu Missier
    Prabhu Missier

--
    03 Nov 2013 05:44 AM
    Institutionalizing a framework is sometimes made easier by using tools. In my case I found that choosing the right set of continuous integration and reporting tools which scale well with team size and project size, training the team and promoting its use also helps in ensuring transparency
    Illya Pavlichenko
    Illya Pavlichenko

--
    03 Nov 2013 10:02 AM
    @Prabhu
    Nice, you're talking about transparency of Increment? What about Sprint Backlog and Product Backlog transparency? How do you handle it?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback