Forums

By posting to our forums you are agreeing to the Forum terms of use.
engineering tools and infrastructure incompletely
Last Post 05 Apr 2014 10:59 AM by GZ. 10 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Cologne_Woman
Cologne_Woman

--
04 Dec 2013 08:20 AM
    Hi,

could you please help me with the following question?

Which two things does a Scrum Master do if the Development Team doesn’t have the engineering tools and infrastructure to completely finish any Product Backlog Items? (choose 2)

1. Declares the Development Team not ready for Scrum.
    2. Ask the development Team to spend as many Sprints as necessary to prepare the engineering tools and infrastructure so any Product Backlog item it selects is potentially shippable at Sprint end.
    3. Asks the Development Team to do the best it can on each Product Backlog item it selects.
    4. Has the Development Team Define “Done” and do the same work for all Product Backlog items it selects.
    5. Has the Development Team improves its skills, tools and infrastructure over time and adjust the definition of “Done” accordingly.

Thanks in advance :-)
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    04 Dec 2013 09:18 AM
    1. Declares the Development Team not ready for Scrum.

A lack of tools and infrastructure does not mean that the Development Tam itself is not ready for Scrum. Moreover, such a declaration is unhelpful and would not provide a way forward. Therefore this option can be ruled out.

2. Ask the development Team to spend as many Sprints as necessary to prepare the engineering tools and infrastructure so any Product Backlog item it selects is potentially shippable at Sprint end.

Using Sprints for preparation work will not result in potentially releasable increments of value. This option can therefore be ruled out.

3. Asks the Development Team to do the best it can on each Product Backlog item it selects.

Proceeding on best efforts will not assure the quality of the deliverables that contribute to an incremental release. Therefore this option can also be ruled out.

4. Has the Development Team Define “Done” and do the same work for all Product Backlog items it selects.

The team should indeed have a Definition of Done that establishes a known level of quality of all PBI's selected and worked on. This is therefore a good option.

5. Has the Development Team improves its skills, tools and infrastructure over time and adjust the definition of “Done” accordingly.

Iterative and incremental improvement to a team's process (known as "kaizen"), including skills, tools, infrastructure and the Definition of Done, is very much part of an agile way of working. This is therefore another good option.

So, 4 and 5 look like the best ones to choose.
    Cologne_Woman
    Cologne_Woman

--
    04 Dec 2013 09:29 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply :-)
    Nitin Khanna
    Nitin Khanna

--
    04 Dec 2013 09:44 AM
    Assuming a DOD is in place, I would select 3 & 5.

Work undone goes into the definition of a potentially releasable increment & can be discussed at the Reteospective.
    Rajalakshmi Sundararaj
    Rajalakshmi Sundararaj

--
    17 Mar 2014 11:45 AM
    what is the correct answer for it?

4&5 or 3&5 ?
    Ludwig
    Ludwig

--
    18 Mar 2014 06:42 AM
    The best answer (in my opinion and in the assessment) is 4&5 for the reasons mentioned by Ian.
    Nitin, maybe you want to share your reasons with us?
    The question can easily be misunderstood, as I know from the first time I read it.
    The Team doesn’t have the engineering tools and infrastructure to completely finish *any* Product Backlog Items, so there will be no potentially shippable increment.
    This is different to the situation where the Team does not have the time to finish *all* Product Backlog items planned for the current sprint.
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    18 Mar 2014 08:33 AM
    Nitin is assuming a DoD was in place. I'm not making that assumption, because one of the available options infers that it is not.

If the DoD *is* in place then I would agree with Nitin and plump for 3 and 5.
    Ludwig
    Ludwig

--
    18 Mar 2014 08:51 AM
    OK, assuming there is a DoD. The development team is not able (due to tools, infrastructure, skills) to fulfill it for any PBI. Now you would switch to best effort?
    I think in this case the SM should work with the team to adjust the DoD, so the team is able to fulfill it. Then he should remove the impediments step by step, and with every impediment removed they can make the DoD more stringent.
    So I would still go for 4&5.
    For me it does not make a big difference if a DoD exists. At least it existst implicitly, which is indicated by the phrase "completely finish any Product Backlog Items".
    In one case you have to create an explicit DoD, in the other you have to rewrite it, which is both "define done".
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    18 Mar 2014 09:18 AM
    > For me it does not make a big difference if a DoD exists. At least it existst implicitly,
    > which is indicated by the phrase "completely finish any Product Backlog Items".

I don't read that implication into those words. A team that is without a Definition of Done, even an implicit one, can still find that they are unable to "completely finish any Product Backlog Items". For example, they might set up a team board with Backlog, WIP, and Done columns. They might then observe that they have an unclear boundary between WIP and Done and that WIP grows all of the time. They know that a state of Done exists but they don't have any sort of DoD which helps them to achieve it. Incidentally this isn't a theoretical picture I am painting, it's quite common to find this situation in real life.
    Ludwig
    Ludwig

--
    18 Mar 2014 10:20 AM
    OK, I agree with you that it makes a difference if you have a DoD or not.
    I meant for the answer of this particular question it does not make a big difference.
    If there is one, you have to rewrite it. If not, you have to write it from the scratch.
    GZ
    GZ

--
    05 Apr 2014 10:59 AM
    Pardon me, but isn'it not the responsibility of everybody the scrum team (therefore, including the product owner) to describe a definition of done ?

The answer 4th, tells the dev team will do it on its own, because they met an impediment and the scrum master told them to do so.

it's a kind of trick we find sometimes in the Assessement ... But i guess i'm wrong because i don't see another good answer,.. :(
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback