Forums

By posting to our forums you are agreeing to the Forum terms of use.
Relative complexity
Last Post 19 Dec 2013 01:17 AM by Joshua Partogi. 6 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
P.Ross
P.Ross

--
15 Dec 2013 02:31 AM
    Hi all,

I wondering how your teams deals with User Points.
    We based our User Points purely on complexity (relative complexity of course) not time as our Sprint is a timebox already.

We do this because of the following reasons:
    - no expliciet exact time planning.
    - much easier and faster to estimate.
    - time can be a personal related factor.

I must say that the team is getting better and better but i cant help to think about the following points:

1) what about simple items that takes a long time. In theory the team can give this item a 1 but it takes 5 days. And perhaps there are items that are more complex but takes 2days.

2) do you change points during the Sprint? I don't mean all the time but only when the team did a totally wrong estimation?

Cheers,
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    15 Dec 2013 03:55 AM
    > what about simple items that takes a long time

That's the problem with estimating by complexity. Mundane tasks may not be complex, but they can absorb much of a Sprint. Why not estimate by effort instead?

P.Ross
    P.Ross

--
    15 Dec 2013 07:00 AM

Posted By Ian Mitchell on 15 Dec 2013 04:55 AM
    > what about simple items that takes a long time

That's the problem with estimating by complexity. Mundane tasks may not be complex, but they can absorb much of a Sprint. Why not estimate by effort instead?

There are 2 reasons which I can think of right now:

1) effort is a relative word. For a senior developer it may take 8hrs while for another less experience developer it can take up to 16hrs or more. The moment we start using effort (time) the estimation process takes a much longer time because they want to get more exact.

2) when the client figure out effort is equal to time, deadlines will be created and before you know it, were doing Scrum in a waterfall environment. I want to keep a strict line between "how long will it take" and "how complex is this gonna be"
    Olivier Ledru
    Olivier Ledru

--
    16 Dec 2013 02:14 AM
    We do estimate by "effort" also. It is a way for us to estimate "everything" : dev effort ; test effort ; doc effort...
    It is very common to have something easy to dev and difficult to test or the opposite.

The estimates don't nedd to be accurate, and we don't re-estimate after the sprint is over because we don't have the need to do that.
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    16 Dec 2013 04:47 AM
    > We do estimate by "effort" also. It is a way for us to estimate "everything" :
    > dev effort ; test effort ; doc effort...
    > It is very common to have something easy to dev and difficult to test or the opposite.

The work an agile team does is indeed varied, and some of it can be unusually demanding, even if it is not particularly time consuming. Effort doesn't really correlate to time.
    P.Ross
    P.Ross

--
    16 Dec 2013 04:57 AM

It is very common to have something easy to dev and difficult to test or the opposite.

So overall it would be a complex item no?

The estimates don't nedd to be accurate, and we don't re-estimate after the sprint is over because we don't have the need to do that.

We also never changed our estimate after the Sprint. What we do do is re-estimate (after the Sprint) if it's needed.

Joshua Partogi
    Joshua Partogi

--
    19 Dec 2013 01:17 AM
    Our teams based story points based on Effort instead of Complexity. :-)
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback