Forums

By posting to our forums you are agreeing to the Forum terms of use.
How to measure productivity of my Scrum Team?
Last Post 11 Jan 2014 10:03 AM by Ian Mitchell. 7 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
Ashurai
Ashurai

--
27 Dec 2013 12:15 AM
    How to measure productivity of my Scrum Team?
    Example:
    Starting from Sprint 1 team assumes some velocity for them self
    Team test their strength in couple of Sprints
    Team found their Sprint Velocity
    Let’s say my teams Velocity is 40 Story points per sprint
    I took a story for 8 story points in Sprint A
    I again got similar story in Sprint 5 and this time I estimated the story for 5 story points means I can accommodate 3 more story points in that sprint but eventually my teams velocity will be 40 only.
    How can I show the improvement of 3 story points in my productivity graph?
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    27 Dec 2013 02:08 AM
    In Scrum productivity is measured in terms of actual delivery, not story points. If an increment if value is produced in accordance with a Sprint Goal which satisfies the Product Owner, then success is being achieved.

Story points are for helping teams forecast how much work can be taken on in a sprint. The tracking of story point burndown is not to measure productivity, but rather to show how much work remains in a backlog.
    Joshua Partogi
    Joshua Partogi

--
    29 Dec 2013 03:52 AM
    Hi Ashurai,

Why is measuring team productivity is important to you? What problems are you trying to solve?
    Sanjay Saini
    Sanjay Saini

--
    30 Dec 2013 01:06 AM
    Hello Ashurai

Scrum is not about delivering more but delivering ONLY features which customer wants. I would recommend to use different metric to measure your team productivity -

1. Thumbs up from stakeholders to the new increment
    2. Unit test coverage
    3. Continuous Integration status
    4. Team Happiness Index
    5. How long does To-Do to Done take?
    6. Customer Reported Defects
    7. Feature Usage Index

Cheers
    Sanjay
    Sandeep Kamat
    Sandeep Kamat

--
    09 Jan 2014 02:07 PM

The last word on page 12 of the scrum guide is probably the most important one but is seldom followed. That word is "Value".

"The Product Backlog lists all features, functions, requirements, enhancements,and fixes that constitute the changes to be made to the product in future releases. Product Backlog items have the attributes of a description, order, estimate and VALUE"

I have almost never seen "VALUE" in a product backlog item. Story points are good indication from a project management perspective but from a business perspective it is the Value produced by each sprint that is probably the right indicator of productivity ...
    Daniel Racowsky
    Daniel Racowsky

--
    10 Jan 2014 10:21 AM
    Ashurai,

As Sanjay pointed out, although productivity is important, Scrum is not about delivering more.

I recommenced reading a little article, The Deadly Disease of the Focus Factor.

It might help you think about productivity in a way that better serves your team.
    https://www.scrum.org/About/All-Articles/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/801/The-Deadly-Disease-of-the-Focus-Factor

Best,
    Daniel

Fredrik Vestin
    Fredrik Vestin

--
    11 Jan 2014 09:34 AM
    Very good point Sandeep. Problem with defining value is that you have no idea of the value until your customers are using it. You can guess that feature A has twice that value as feature B, but until you have built, shipped and gathered feedback you're really guessing.

Also, the relative value is also kind defined by the order of items in the backlog. If two items are estimated the same, the one with higher value should normally be ordered first.
    Ian Mitchell
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    11 Jan 2014 10:03 AM
    The "value" attribute of a Product Backlog Item is perhaps best seen in terms of risk reduction. Using MoSCoW priority as the attribute is one way to express value and it can certainly help to inform a Sprint Plan.

Trying to anticipate value is indeed very difficult...as Fredrik says you really have to ship something first. That's why it's important to keep batch sizes small and to release frequently. In an agile way of working a product should be its own market research tool.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback