Forums

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. If you have left the first and last name fields blank on your member profile, your email address will be displayed instead.

All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

PSM Test Failed
Last Post 14 Aug 2016 07:50 PM by elhem Ben Yahia. 23 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Mary Kuster
Mary Kuster

--
14 Jan 2014 06:36 AM
    I'm so depressed, I studied and studied, and work as a Scrum Master. Both times I got an 83% on the test.

What am I doing wrong?
    Ian Mitchell
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    14 Jan 2014 10:46 AM
    You may need to spend some time with other Scrum Masters who can challenge your perspective. A training course might help, as might going through the content of these forums.
    Charles Bradley
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Charles Bradley

--
    14 Jan 2014 11:46 AM
    Cece,

Did you follow all the tips here?
    https://www.scrum.org/Forums/aft/264
    michael
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    michael

--
    14 Jan 2014 12:30 PM
    Hi Cece, first off lets not be too harsh here.

Two attempts and at 83% means your almost there with it and yes I know how your feeling.
    Have you attended a course recently as for sure its time away from the environment, real study time?
    This helped me as I was in the zone with people so as Ian points out, its that challenge that may be missing.
    Don't give up on this now at this stage would be my advice, the exam is not easy even for people with experience.

This was my journey to PSM1 so know how you feel and how to make some progress from now.
    https://www.scrum.org/Forums/aft/602

michael
    Mary Kuster
    Mary Kuster

--
    15 Jan 2014 05:59 AM
    Hi Ian: I did take a Professional Scrum Master training class (certified by Scrum.Org) in July, and studied from that training class, and studied the Srum Guide (a lot), and took my first test inJuly and scored 83%. I also studied and reviewed everything I could and took it the second time yesterday, and scored the same 83%.
    Ludwig Harsch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ludwig Harsch

--
    15 Jan 2014 06:11 AM
    Hi Cece,
    did you do the open assessment in advance? It really helps to do it before the real assessment, at least until you score 100%.
    Best, Ludwig
    Mary Kuster
    Mary Kuster

--
    15 Jan 2014 06:19 AM
    Thanks Michael: I will follow your advice and try even harder and read the forums. I took practice test many times and scored 100% and studied the practice questions and Scrum.Org guide. I thinks its the subjective quetions I maybe missing.

I will keep trying...thanks for the support.
    VS Chandra Mouli Seelaboyina
    VS Chandra Mouli Seelaboyina

--
    16 Jan 2014 07:34 PM
    You have taken training , studied and studied , practiced and experienced as SM still you have not reached the required score in PSM1.

It's not that you are not having knowledge on scrum. It's the confidence you need to have to crack the exam, it comes only by practicing in a simulated exam environment.

My suggestion to you is practice rigorously

Nitin Khanna
    Nitin Khanna

--
    17 Jan 2014 04:01 AM
    Allow me to share my thoughts as well....

A) I would suggest writing to support@scrum.org and asking for feedback to where you could improve.
    (I do not think this is automatically provided at he end if the assessment)

B) I would reach hit to the Instuctor for further guidance

C) Continue interacting with peers

Good luck in your journey and I hope some of this helps.

I truly believe you're almost there.
    Xuefeng Qian
    Xuefeng Qian

--
    21 Jan 2014 07:23 PM
    Dont worry, my advise is to build a frame work about the knowledge since the scrum itself is a framework, there are so many little pieces around about scrum, but after you summarize them and put them into the framework, you will pass it; one method I used is to write down all the open assessment down in a paper, and do them again and again until I know why the wrong options are wrong and why the right ones are right, then you will gain a higher level in understanding the scrum.
    Rajalakshmi Sundararaj
    Rajalakshmi Sundararaj

--
    19 Mar 2014 03:42 AM
    HI Cece

Did you succeed?
    Daniel Tousignant
    Daniel Tousignant

--
    13 Feb 2015 10:28 AM
    Hi Cece:

I had the same problem, and I had even taken the PSM class from Ken. My solution was to create a bunch of study questions and study the Scrum Guide and I passed it the second time easily. I then took my notes and created an online practice exam. I have been told it is very helpful. It is very affordable ($9.99 for one-week) and there are also some free practice questions. Fee free to check it out: http://www.bostonagiletraining.com/..._Exam.html
    Good Luck
    Dan
    Wen Hao Hung
    Wen Hao Hung

--
    13 Nov 2015 07:23 AM
    I totally understand how you feel. I took the test 3 times this week. The result is around 79%~82%. I don't have actual scrum working experience but I did study scrum guide and took open assessments. I got 100% correct on all the assessments. I mean some questions in the exam are more difficult than the open assessments. I just think It will be nice if the result can show us which question that we did wrong so we can concentrate on those particular questions.
    Mohammed Musthafa Soukath Ali

--
    14 Nov 2015 07:32 PM
    It is more likely for many of those prepare for PSM, to read through Scrum Guide and feel content that they "got" it.
    Unless they challenge their understanding with plenty of questions, they will have superficial understanding on some areas such as Product Ownership, Work Ownership, Self Organization Vs Impediments that originate because that is out of their influence, Flexibility of Scrum Vs Optional techniques, and many more.

The Scrum Guide is very dense within those 16 pages with rich insightful content. Unfortunately, one needs the context, correlations, and thought provoking questions to "get" that.

Going through these forums on discussions, and looking for explanations from the experts such an ian mitchel, charles, and few more will bring lot of insights that are not just helpful with PSM but also will aid your job skills.

Currenlty, I am almost at the point of releasing a book that reveals Scrum with context and correlations using Active Learning technique. It is all-in-one guidance for Professional Scrum Master, PSM 1 aspirants, with comprehensive Scrum material, tips, and 250+ practice questions. It is out in next three weeks
    Ben Zeelen
    Ben Zeelen

--
    18 Jan 2016 11:41 PM
    Where can I find your book?

--
    19 Jan 2016 08:15 PM
    Dear Ben,

If you have enough knowledge of "Authentic" Scrum already, you only need to get familiar with test format and question. Scrum Open is the best mock exam for that.
    So, you may not need the book.
    As an additional checkpoint , please go through the tips on "How to pass PSM 1" here:
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-pass-psm-first-attempt-five-steps-get-most-scrum-soukath-ali

After going through that, if you are convinced that you do need a book to prepare for PSM 1, please check it out at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/592973 for a pdf version. Also available in other retailers in other formats
    Pedro Alejandro Hernández Badillo
    Pedro Alejandro Hernández Badillo

--
    28 Jan 2016 08:29 AM
    Hi friends,
    I also did the test and got 83%, actually commented that the test has nothing to do with the open assesments, the questions are very confusing and even have to select up to three choices on several questions of the tests, that found in 15 assesment if similar questions come much, the other 65 questions are very confusing, realy is not easy the exam, I don´t understan how many here approve whith100%, please help us.
    Jigyasa NFN
    Jigyasa NFN

--
    13 Apr 2016 05:16 PM
    Did anyone ever clear in 1st attemp. I got 83% too. 83 seems to be the number where everyone gets stuck!!
    Benjamin d'Eusanio
    Benjamin d'Eusanio

--
    15 Apr 2016 12:32 PM
    Hi,
    I passed the test at the first attempt.
    My advise is to read some books and blogs.
    PSM I was my second certification, I've begun with PSPO which was more difficult (I think)...
    I failed that one because I didn't know how the assessment will be.

This fail helped me to prepare myself and make another attempt. This one was the good.
    A fail is never simple to manage, i was very angry about me.
    Just reharse, learn, read, talk, move forward.
    Emmanuel Herrera Ríos
    Emmanuel Herrera Ríos

--
    04 May 2016 12:22 AM
    Hi folks

I just passed the test at first try.

This was my self study process:

1. I read the Scrum Guide 4 times carefully (3 english, 1 my native language)
    2. I read several books:

- A Guide to the Scrum Body of Knowledge (free). I think this is useful if you know the PMBOK and you are trying to "adapt" your knowledge to Scrum, but have some "wrong or off-dated practices " (e.g. says 6 weeks max, for Sprint) (http://www.scrumstudy.com/overview-...sbok.asp).

- The Scrum Master Training Manual (free). Short but practial book I liked it, but also have a wrong approach about "Done" definition; says that you can use a different definitions of "Done" for several Deveopment Teams working on a single project ( http://mplaza.pm/ ).

- Software in 30 Days. Book by the all mighty Scrum creators.

3. I bought the Manament Plaza PSM I Simulated Exams, only the exams with no courses, I don't work for them in any shape or form, ok? I think this was very good practice for me, but they are based on their The Scrum Master Training Manual (mentioned free boo.k), therefore they are wrong about diferent definitions of "Done" for several Development Teams related questions, but still very useful.

4. In the M. Plaza simulated exams, I started with 80%, after 3 rounds of 250 questions aprox, I finished with 95%+ for each simulation.

5. I took the open test like 6 or 7 times for SM, PO and I got 100% every time (I guess my previous steps worked), I took the devoleper open exam too, getting around 70%-75% (I've been a developer).

6. I studied my wrong answers (with mentionded books, the official guide, and other internet sources)

This was a 1 month process, around 5 hours dedicated every day.

Excuse my English, good luck!

daniel stanley
    daniel stanley

--
    09 Aug 2016 09:20 AM
    Took my PSM today fairly disappointed.

Overall I scored an 81.3% with the following breakdown:

Scrum Framework - 85%
    Scrum Theory and Principle - 60%
    Cross Functional and Self Organizing Teams - 92%
    Coaching and Facilitation-100%

My preparation included a 3 days course offered by my employer which I found to be very helpful, along with reading the scrum guide and taking about 6-8 open assessments where I scored in the mid 90's consistently.

I don't recall much material covering principle in theory, and to me that reads as "situational dependency". Any recommendations on how to focus my are of study for those questions, or for that matter a couple of examples of what those questions actually are? The frustrating part is that it's not as though the questions are denoted as being a part of one section or another so it makes it much more difficult to focus on what is an obvious deficiency in my knowledge base.

Sameh Zeid
    Sameh Zeid

--
    09 Aug 2016 09:48 AM
    I would you recommend that you re-read Scrum Guide as best source to describe Framework and Theory.
    Karthick Ammasi Krishnaswamy
    Karthick Ammasi Krishnaswamy

--
    10 Aug 2016 07:55 PM
    Sorry to hear that. I cleared the test in first attempt.
    Open tests are good but not sufficient.
    Repeat the tests like this until you pass consistently
    http://greenmirage.com/posts/scrum-...mock-exam/

Refer to other threads for more tips. Good luck!
    elhem Ben Yahia
    elhem Ben Yahia

--
    14 Aug 2016 07:50 PM
    Hello i have passed Scrum psm1 certificate

and this is all the materials i used:

1- Scrum Guide ( 16 page) i read it 3 or 4 times , take your time while reading it.
    2- Srcum book 341 pages i read it and summurized parts of it , since i am french i had to double efforts.
    3-i bought 3 exams ( 240 quesitons and those questions made me pass the exam), from management plaza and i paid 55$.
    4- I took open assement scrum.org ( 6o 7 times and i scored 100%).

i passed with 93% ..

Good luck for everyone .

hope this can help you .
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback