Forums

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. If you have left the first and last name fields blank on your member profile, your email address will be displayed instead.

All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

PO participation at Daily Scrum?
Last Post 10 Apr 2014 11:04 AM by michael. 7 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
Frank Wöhrle
Frank Wöhrle

--
07 Apr 2014 07:09 AM
    Hello,

I found the following question in the Scrum Master Training Manual:

The Scrum Master realizes that Product Owner attends all Daily Scrums and asks Team
    Members about their tasks and gives them directions for the following day. What
    should the Scrum Master do?

A. It’s wrong, the Product Owner should not attend Daily Scrum

B. It’s wrong, the Product Owner should not speak in Daily Scrum

C. It’s OK, the Product Owner can do this

D. It’s OK, it’s recommended for the Product Owner to give direction

According to the Training Manual the correct Answer is B.

But the Scrum Guide states on page 10:
    "The Scrum Master enforces the rule that only Development Team members participate in the Daily Scrum."

So am I right that the right answer is A.?
    What do you think?

Best regards,
    Frank
    Ludwig Harsch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ludwig  Harsch

--
    07 Apr 2014 07:26 AM
    I am no native english speaker, but I think there is a difference between the words "attend" and "participate", and the PO is allowed to attend the Daily Scrum.
    I think the correct answer is E: The Scrum Master should teach the Product Owner about his role and the purpose of the Daily Scrum.
    Given the answers above, we can rule out C and D because it is clearly not the PO's role to microcontrol the team.
    I think answer B is better than A, because the PO has nothing to say in Daily Scrum if you think about the 3 questions. He will quickly see that he isn't much help in the meeting and stay away from it voluntarily.
    Ian Mitchell
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    09 Apr 2014 07:04 AM
    None of the answers A, B, C, or D are right. The Product Owner might be a member of the Development Team. That's a perfectly viable situation and under such circumstances the PO can of course attend and fully participate in the Daily Scrum. Finding out whether or not that is the case is the first thing the Scrum Master should do.
    Ludwig Harsch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ludwig  Harsch

--
    09 Apr 2014 07:50 AM
    Hi Ian,
    I think you mean the same person can be in the role PO and Dev Team member at the same time.
    In this case, the person would participate at the daily Scrum in the role Dev Team member, but not in the role PO. So the PO (as role) does not participate.
    Ian Mitchell
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    09 Apr 2014 09:26 AM
    > I think you mean the same person can be in the role PO and Dev Team member at the same time.

That's right

> In this case, the person would participate at the daily Scrum in the role Dev Team member, but
    > not in the role PO. So the PO (as role) does not participate.

Regardless of the capacity in which the individual is attending, they shouldn't be giving directions to the other team members, as that would stop the Daily Scrum from being a collaborative activity. That's the core problem which we need to address. However, the *way* we address it should be shaped whether or not the PO is also on the Development Team. As Scrum Masters we can't assume that everyone knows their roles and the capacity in which they should attend Scrum events. If their roles are clarified we can then coach them accordingly.
    Charles Bradley
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Charles Bradley

--
    09 Apr 2014 10:58 AM
    Frank,

> Scrum Master Training Manual:

Can you point me to this manual? (link?)
    Frank Wöhrle
    Frank Wöhrle

--
    10 Apr 2014 03:01 AM
    Dear Charles,

the question is out of the Scrum Master Training Manual you can download under
    http://mgmtplaza.com/downloads/Scru...Manual.pdf

It is question Q24 on page 67 that I am refering.

Regards,
    Frank
    michael
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    michael

--
    10 Apr 2014 11:04 AM
    Q24
    The Scrum Master realizes that Product Owner attends all Daily Scrums
    and asks Team Members about their tasks and gives them directions
    for the following day. What should the Scrum Master do?

A.It’s wrong,the Product Owner should not attend Daily Scrum
    B.It’s wrong,the Product Owner should not speak in Daily Scrum
    C.It’s OK,the Product Owner can do this
    D.It’s OK, it’s recommended for the Product Owner to give direction

Scrum guide:
    The Scrum Master enforces the rule that only Development Team
    members participate in the Daily Scrum.

The clue is in the fact the question says "PO attends the daily scrum and gives them directions for the next day",
    This would mean the PO is attending as PO, not a member of the dev team, even if they were both roles.
    PO cannot participate only dev team if we expand the guide without giving the answer away.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback