Forums

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. If you have left the first and last name fields blank on your member profile, your email address will be displayed instead.

All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Confuse about a point related to Sprint.
Last Post 03 Jul 2014 06:18 AM by Garin Reyneke. 6 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Bui Tuan Ninh
Bui Tuan Ninh

--
03 Jul 2014 03:34 AM
    Hello,

I have a question about Sprint as below:

In Scum-Guide (Version July 2013, page 7) , there is description about Sprint:

"During the Sprint:

.Scope may be clarified and re-negotiated between the Product Owner and Development Team as more is learned."

Could you help to explain what does "Scope" mean here ? I am confusing because there was some where say that: The number of work is not allowed change during a Sprint.

Thank you.
    Ian Mitchell
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    03 Jul 2014 03:41 AM
    In this context, "scope" means the requirements that have been planned for actioning in the current Sprint.

These requirements are never frozen, but are revised and replanned as needed in order to meet the Sprint Goal.

If you have read somewhere that the scope of the current Sprint is not allowed to change, then the material containing that information is incorrect.
    Bui Tuan Ninh
    Bui Tuan Ninh

--
    03 Jul 2014 04:20 AM
    Thank Lan for your help explain to me

Now i am clear about this.

The doc: "Scrum Training Manual" of mgmtplaza.com said that "The Sprint Backlog is frozen after the Sprint Planning".
    Now i kow that it is wrong.

Again, thank you alot.
    Bui Tuan Ninh
    Bui Tuan Ninh

--
    03 Jul 2014 04:58 AM
    Hello there,

I have another question related Sprint, it is about Sprint planing meeting.

In Scrum-Guide, i found 2 activity occur in same time: "End of this meeting"

1."Work planned for the first days of the Sprint by the Development Team is decomposed by the end of this meeting, often to units of one day or less."

2. "By the end of the Sprint Planning, the Development Team should be able to explain to the Product Owner and Scrum Master how it intends to work.... "

Could you help to clearify my confuse ?

Thanks
    Ludwig Harsch
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ludwig  Harsch

--
    03 Jul 2014 05:18 AM
    Hi,
    the planning has 2 main purposes:
    A) select PBIs for next sprint
    B) create a plan for how to get them done
    The two points mentioned by you both refer to the second purpose. 1. is a suggested way to create the plan, and 2. is a way to validate this plan exists.
    Bui Tuan Ninh
    Bui Tuan Ninh

--
    03 Jul 2014 05:20 AM
    I am cleared.

Thank you
    Garin Reyneke
    Garin Reyneke

--
    03 Jul 2014 06:18 AM
    just be careful of where you study if you're prepping for the PSM exams ... often some scrum sources will describe the items taken from product backlog and then planned into the sprint planning, where the team commits to how much work they can complete and add it to the sprint backlog, THE SPRINT BACKLOG IS FROZEN AND DOES NOT CHANGE DURING THE SPRINT IS WRONG !!
    The Sprint Goal doesn't change , if the team realises it has too much work , work that could have been discovered during the sprint from a backlog item, they should raise the issue with product owner, and discuss the issue - then negotiate "the scope" of the sprint ... remember what the scrum guide says , each Sprint can be considered a mini project. Any project scope , by either parties should be negotiable ... unless it makes the project (or sprint in this case) pointless to do or finish.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback