Forums

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. If you have left the first and last name fields blank on your member profile, your email address will be displayed instead.

All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

The Sprit Goal is selected BEFORE or AFTER the Sprint Backlog is created
Last Post 10 May 2016 11:54 PM by Peter binderup Hansen. 15 Replies.
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Bui Tuan Ninh
Bui Tuan Ninh

--
10 Jul 2014 06:16 PM
    Hi all,

The Sprit Goal is selected BEFORE or AFTER the Sprint Backlog is created ?

Thanks
    Bui Tuan Ninh
    Bui Tuan Ninh

--
    10 Jul 2014 07:28 PM
    Hello, Can anyone help on this question ?

Thanks a lot.
    Ilia Pavlichenko
    Ilia Pavlichenko

--
    10 Jul 2014 09:26 PM
    Scrum Guide is quite clear about that. "After the Development Team forecasts the Product Backlog items it will deliver in the Sprint, the Scrum Team crafts a Sprint Goal.". This happends when team's answering the Topic One question What can be Done in the Sprint?
    Bui Tuan Ninh
    Bui Tuan Ninh

--
    10 Jul 2014 09:40 PM
    I agree with you that: After the Development Team forecasts the Product Backlog items it will deliver in the Sprint, the Scrum Team crafts a Sprint Goal.

My confuse is: The activity " forecasts the Product Backlog items " and "create the Sprint Backlog" are SAME or NOT ?

Can i understand that the flow as below ?
    forecasts the Product Backlog items -> **create Sprint Goal ** -> **create the Sprint Backlog ** !

Thanks.
    Ilia Pavlichenko
    Ilia Pavlichenko

--
    10 Jul 2014 09:44 PM
    No, it's not the same. Forecast is about PBI only, "The Product Backlog items selected for this Sprint plus the plan for delivering them is called the Sprint Backlog." Thus Sprint Goal is created before.
    Bui Tuan Ninh
    Bui Tuan Ninh

--
    10 Jul 2014 09:46 PM
    In addition, as the defination of "Sprint Backlog" :
    = Selected Product Backlog item + **Plan to "done" them ***

That may mean: Sprint Backlog is made at the end of the first session of Sprint Planning meeting, after done some prior activities (including make its Goal)

Can anyone help to clearify about this ?
    Bui Tuan Ninh
    Bui Tuan Ninh

--
    10 Jul 2014 09:48 PM
    Thanks Illya.

So final answer is "Sprint Goal is create BEFORE Sprint Backlog ?
    Ilia Pavlichenko
    Ilia Pavlichenko

--
    10 Jul 2014 09:52 PM
    Sprint Backlog is the output of the "How?" topic of the planning, Sprint Goal is crafted during "What?" part which comes first.
    Bui Tuan Ninh
    Bui Tuan Ninh

--
    10 Jul 2014 09:56 PM
    I clear, thanks so much.
    Ian Mitchell
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    11 Jul 2014 05:45 AM
    > So final answer is "Sprint Goal is create BEFORE Sprint Backlog ?

Be careful when you talk about the Sprint Backlog being "created". The Sprint Backlog serves the purpose of meeting the Sprint Goal, and its ability to do so must be improved at every opportunity during the Sprint.
    Ilia Pavlichenko
    Ilia Pavlichenko

--
    11 Jul 2014 05:50 AM
    Well, as I remember Ken saying about that Scrint Backlog is like human - born during the Sprint Planning, emerging and evolving through the Sprint as a human being walking throughout the life.
    nikos batsios
    nikos batsios

--
    24 Jul 2014 07:43 AM
    agree!
    when you have the sprint backlog created you are ready to start working for the next few days. it would be obselete at that point of time to formulate your sprint goal! goal should be set prior actions...and under that context sprint goal should be defined before your sprint backlog has been created!...
    Rich Hill
    Rich Hill

--
    08 Jun 2015 11:14 AM
    The Scrum Guide states "After the Development Team forecasts the Product Backlog items it will deliver in the Sprint, the Scrum Team crafts a Sprint Goal"
    Elisia Getts
    Elisia Getts

--
    11 Jun 2015 05:43 AM
    I was confused by this as well when I was first learning about Scrum. I think the product owner should have an idea of what the sprint goal or objective is before sprint planning (Scrum Guide p. 9 "The Product Owner discusses the objective that the sprint should achieve..."). This aids the product owner in preselecting the PBIs to bring to the team for consideration for the sprint (in addition to their value, etc.). It also aids the team in creating the formal sprint goal at the end of the sprint planning session.
    Ian Mitchell
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Ian Mitchell

--
    11 Jun 2015 08:29 PM
    > I think the product owner should have an idea
    > of what the sprint goal or objective is before
    > sprint planning 

The PO should be able to enter Sprint Planning sufficiently prepared to negotiate an increment of value. This could mean having deas of what a Sprint Goal might reasonably be. It should not be an assumption or pre-condition as to what the Goal actually will be.
    Peter binderup Hansen
    Peter binderup Hansen

--
    10 May 2016 11:54 PM
    before
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Feedback