Professional Scrum Product Owner™ III Certification
Certify Your Distinguished level of Product Ownership Expertise
The Professional Scrum Product Owner™ III (PSPO III) certification validates your ability to apply the Scrum framework to solve complex problems and deliver valuable products in the real world. Anyone attempting the PSPO III should have extensive Scrum and Product Owner experience. Earning PSPO III requires a very high level of Scrum knowledge and extensive experience maximizing value as a Product Owner.
Attending a course is neither required nor sufficient for this certification. However, attending Professional Scrum Product Owner and Professional Scrum Product Owner - Advanced training is recommended. Similarly, possessing a PSPO I and PSPO II certification is not required, but it is strongly recommended. Evidence shows it is important to pass the PSPO I and PSPO II to get a good baseline of your level of knowledge. Anyone scoring below 90% on the PSPO I and PSPO II will find earning the PSPO III very difficult.
Preparing for PSPO III
PSPO III questions ask you to know the content of and understand the context of the Scrum Guide and apply your own Product Ownership experience. While the Scrum Competencies are similar to those of the PSPO I and PSPO II, you will be required to move beyond simple knowledge. You will be asked to describe how you would respond to different scenarios while remaining true to Scrum.
PSPO III draws broadly from the following Professional Scrum Competencies and Focus Areas;
- Understanding and Applying the Scrum Framework:
- Empiricism, Scrum Values, Scrum Team, Events, Artifacts, Done
- Developing People and Teams:
- Self-Managing Teams, Facilitation
- Managing Products with Agility:
- Forecasting & Release Planning, Product Vision, Product Value, Product Backlog Management, Business Strategy, Stakeholders & Customers
- Evolving the Agile Organization:
- Portfolio Planning, Evidence Based Management™
While experience is most important, reviewing material about how to prepare for PSPO I and PSPO II may also be helpful. Familiarity with the changes to the 2020 Scrum Guide will also be beneficial as the use of outdated terminology from prior versions of the Scrum Guide will count against you.
Many people successfully use the Google Translate Plugin to take the test in their native language. If you plan to use the Google Translate Plugin you MUST follow these instructions for using the Google Translate Plugin. We cannot guarantee the quality of the translation, however feedback has been quite good.
Accommodations for Physical or Intellectual Disabilities
We take these considerations very seriously and examine each case individually. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org regarding your circumstances and we can advise you on next steps.
Ready to Take the Next Step?
- $500 USD per attempt
- Scoring: Pass/Did Not Pass
- Language for questions and responses: English
- Responses are scored by a team of Scrum experts using a common grading guide. Each response is evaluated to determine if it meets, exceeds, or does not meet the grading expectations. After all questions are scored, the entire test is reviewed to determine whether a passing score was earned.
- Time limit: 2.5 hours (150 minutes)
- Number of Questions: 24
- Format: Essay questions only. All responses must be typed - no pasting of prepared responses. Please review the Standard of Conduct for more information.
- Grading takes approximately 4 weeks. The score is emailed as soon as grading is complete.
- Difficulty: Expert
- Free Credly digital credential included
- Recommended courses: Professional Scrum Product Owner, Professional Scrum Product Owner - Advanced
- Recommended certifications: PSPO I, PSPO II
- Practice assessments: Scrum Open, Product Owner Open, Evidence-Based Management Open, Agile Leadership Open
- Passwords have no expiration date, but are valid for one attempt only
- Lifetime certification - no annual renewal fee required
Unlike other Scrum certifications that are awarded for attendance in a class, earning a Scrum.org certification requires proof of knowledge and understanding by passing the certification test. You can take the Professional Scrum certification test whether you have attended a Scrum.org class or not, though each Scrum.org training class is a great learning experience and includes a free attempt at the associated certification.
Protecting the integrity of the certification process is very important to us. By taking a test with Scrum.org you agree to abide by our Standard of Conduct. You will not receive information about the specific questions that were answered correctly or incorrectly, however you will receive a breakdown of your performance based on the Professional Scrum Competencies.
Find out more about what makes Scrum.org different.
Professional Scrum Product Owner™ Training
In the Professional Scrum Product Owner course, explore and learn to apply the accountabilities of the Product Owner and the principles of Professional Scrum. Gain an understanding of the pivotal role the Product Owner plays in bridging strategy and agile product management in order to help the Scrum Team create valuable products.
Professional Scrum Product Owner™ - Advanced Training
In the Professional Scrum Product Owner - Advanced course, dive deeper into the accountabilities of the Product Owner and agile product management. This course focuses on helping experienced Product Owners expand their ability to establish a vision, validate their hypotheses and ultimately deliver more value through gaining entrepreneurial product leadership skills and practices.