Professional Scrum Master Live Virtual Class, Nov 8-11, 2021
Learn Professional Scrum and How to be a Better Scrum Master
Professional Scrum Master™ (PSM) is an interactive, activity-based course where students gain a strong understanding of Professional Scrum and the role of the Scrum Master. Through a combination of discussion and exercises, students develop a deep understanding of the underlying principles of Scrum and the Agile mindset while learning the practices applied by successful Scrum Teams.
The course also includes a free attempt at the globally recognized Professional Scrum Master I(PSM I) certification exam.
In this 4 day class students are challenged to explore the Agile and Scrum principles so they can better understand what to do when applying Scrum to support their teams and organizations.
The course, developed by Scrum.org, uses a combination of instructor-led and activity-based learning where students work together in teams. Professional Scrum Trainers (PSTs) bring their own Scrum Master experiences and stories to the class and use their skills as professional trainers to deliver the material using their own unique delivery style. The result is an engaging, enjoyable learning experience where students gain a deep understanding of Scrum theory and principles, the Scrum Master accountabilities and why each element of the Scrum framework is important.
Students leave this course with an appreciation for Professional Scrum, the agile mindset and how to deal with common myths and impediments to agility. They gain the knowledge and understanding about how to choose and apply the appropriate practices and techniques that will be most beneficial for their Scrum Teams.
View the different Focus Areas covered within this class and others.
Course Learning Objectives
- Help Scrum Teams deliver value to their organization
- Understand the theory and principles behind Scrum and empiricism
- Understand how each part of the Scrum framework ties back to the principles and theory
- Understand uncertainty and complexity in product delivery
- Understand the meaning and importance of the Scrum values
- Learn what Done means and why it is crucial to transparency
- Know how to use the Product Backlog to plan with agility
- Understand the importance of self-managing teams, interpersonal skills needed, and the Scrum Master role
- Clarify the leadership role a Scrum Master play on the team
- Learn the skills and traits and behavior shifts required to be a Scrum Master
Professional Scrum Certification
All participants completing the Professional Scrum Master course will receive a password to attempt the Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) assessment. The industry-recognized PSM I certification requires a minimum passing score of 85%. PSM class participants who attempt the PSM I assessment within 14 days of receiving their free password and do not score at least 85% will be granted a 2nd attempt at no additional cost.
You are also entitled to a discount on the PSM II assessment once passing PSM I
PMI PDU Credits
Students of Scrum.org courses are able to claim Project Management Institute (PMI) PDU credit: 14 PDUs after attending a two-day Professional Scrum Master (PSM) course. Please note that PMI PDUs are earned for course attendance and not for passing a Scrum.org assessment. Students can claim PDUs under PMI's "Education courses provided by other third party providers” category. You can claim your PDUs online at https://ccrs.pmi.org. Find instructions here.
Pricing excludes UK VAT. UK VAT only applies for orders from the UK, VAT does not apply outside the UK. To request a manual invoice simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "manual invoice" -- payment would then be made via an electronic transfer, a Paypal transaction, or an over the phone card payment. Without exception, all seats for a booking must be prepaid to confirm that booking.
General Admission: 695 GBP
Price: GBP 695
Profile of the trainer
John Coleman is an active practitioner with 15+ years of experience in growing sustainable agility. Learn from John's breadth & depth of current case studies with the "old reliable", the latest trends and some leading & not yet well-known patterns.
Why John Coleman?
Every PST has his/her own strengths. John Coleman is one of the few LeSS-Friendly Scrum Trainers. He regularly interviews leading lights on his YouTube channel. His podcast, XAgility™ consists of wisdom from some of the most famous faces in the agile world. John is a prolific blogger on advanced topics, and he leads on content creation for Scrum, Lean UX, measurement, Kanban, scaling, de-scaling, Executives, people & change. John teaches Marshall Goldsmith's techniques at all of his workshops in a #payitforward fashion. All of John's workshops feature Liberating Structures. John Coleman offers a number of practice tests where they are needed. John's client base consists mainly of non-native English speakers (English is the 3rd/4th language) in continental Europe. John's clients give rave reviews on Trustpilot, Google and VocalReferences, and they get great results as long as they also put the effort in.
Review & Ratings for John Coleman of Orderly Disruption on Google, VocalReferences & Trustpilot
Reviews & Ratings for all of John Coleman's workshops are available on:
- Google (based from 54+ reviews) - http://bit.ly/GoogleJohnC
- TrustPilot (from 100+ reviews) - https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.ace.works
- Vocal References (from 140+ reviews) - http://bit.ly/VocalRJohnC
It's not just about Reviews & Ratings
Reviews & ratings are limited by nature. John needs to understand if the learning made a real difference back in the office. So, John checks in up to 12-18 months later. He sees a pattern of improvement and regularly gets pleasant vibes from successful agility inspired by ideas on the workshops. For example, see this experience report.
John Coleman is a Professional Scrum Trainer, a candidate LeSS trainer / LeSS Friendly Scrum Trainer, organizer of ELNA (Executive Leadership Network for Adaptiveness), co-author of Kanban Guide, and author of Kanban for Complexity™ aka Kanplexity™ with lots of attribution to Dave Snowden & Cognitive Edge for Cynefin and related theory. See https://kanbanguides.org.
John did one of the most comprehensive comparisons/contrast of the scaling/descaling frameworks at https://valueglide.com/blog and https://orderlydisruption.com/blogs/grow-agility-for-your-why/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall-preamble-to-1-of-4 ("Mirror Mirror" series). John Coleman's blog posts on executives, Scrum, Kanban, Nexus Vs. LeSS, are available at https://bit.ly/JohnColemanBlog. John blogs prolifically at orderlydisruption.com, valueglide.com, Medium, CIO Water Cooler, and The Digital Transformation People.
Practicing what he preaches, except he doesn't preach -- he doesn't sell, huh?
John helps teams, managers, leaders, change agents, and execs. He can answer all sorts of up to date questions with ease. John coaches, teaches, consults for sustainable growth of agility in non-software as well as software. He created Broad and Deep agility (BaDa) on top of the shoulders of existing theory & practice. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUen2CeyTDk. John himself is broad & deep from the points of view of agility, people & change.
Standing on the shoulders of giants
John is a systems thinker who happens to be a huge fan of Cynefin and sees the benefits of both, erring on the side of Cynefin where they clash. Most importantly, John takes an independent view. John is also a people & change thinker; he uses Spiral Dynamics Integral (certified to level 2) and other models; even if they are criticized in some quarters as pseudoscience, John finds aspects of Spiral Dynamics helpful in structuring better conversations with people.
More proof he knows what he's talking about, and has done what he talks about
John's Scrum+Kanban Nexus+ case studies can be found (international payments company, European bank) at https://www.valueglide.com/blog/nexus-nexus-and-scrum.org-certifications.
John is grateful to be part of Marshall Goldsmith's #payitforward campaign and, in so doing, offers free coaching/mentoring/co-training to a selection of potential agility chefs. John is a member of the #MarshallGoldsmithLead60 group, a cohort from the 16,000+ #MarshallGoldsmith100CoachesApplicants. It was a privilege for John to be one of a lucky group of 60 people; Marshall Goldsmith himself taught that group in Salt Lake City in February 2018. All of John's workshops #payitforward Marshall Goldsmith content, including Marshall's advice to John himself.
John typically practiced with many of his clients for 18+ months. He is switching to shorter-term engagements. John's client list (directly or indirectly) includes Japanese Tobacco International, Shell, Barclaycard, Vocalink Mastercard, Centrica / British Gas, the Musgrave Group, RR Donnelley, DELL, Nordic Aviation Services, 84.51, Intralinks, PaySafe, Vodafone, Ericsson, NASA, Sky and BP.
Assessment preparation tends not to be covered in the workshop. The workshop focuses on attendees getting ready to apply new skills back at work immediately after the workshop. There is an expectation that attendees will attend some free post-workshop Zoom calls and watch recordings of their own group (or previous groups) doing tough practice tests, sometimes including John Coleman's own practice tests which address the same learning outcomes, albeit from a different angle. John has an expectation that attendees will attend the calls, as assessment preparation does not scale on a 1:1 basis. Signing up to this workshop is effectively signing up to attend these calls.
Sometimes, John Coleman will have a co-trainer, someone who is already qualified or who is building up experience. Please let John Coleman know in advance if you need him to bring an assistant trainer who speaks your language via email@example.com; economics will hopefully be in our favor to allow that if there is enough demand.
- Each segment is 60-75 mins long with 15-30 min breaks. Attendees have the choice of spreading the workshop over several days if advertized or if other attendees are ok with that —no recording of the workshop to improve openness. The workshop size is limited to 20 attendees.
- Workshop attendees will use Zoom/Teams, Mural, Slack, StoriesOnBoard, Strategyzer, Kanbanize/SwiftKanban, and John's physical flipcharts.
- Learning online is almost as effective as face to face. The critical difference is working together online; it takes longer to do things. A "funnel" gets added to the Kanban Board for optional best efforts additions to the official curriculum. Most questions will get answered to the satisfaction of the attendees, one way or the other.
Rules to follow:
- cameras on
- mics on - let's avoid delayed interventions
- be on time for every segment
- no meetings/phone-calls/emails during the active segments
- be self-aware and conscious of the needs of others to have their say
- no hijacking of the agenda; a free coach session is on offer per attendee, use that instead.
A Scrum Reset is often needed in the workshop
If the class attendees demonstrate additional ability, bonus content may get covered. However, the class pace can get set to a slower pace by even one attendee who has not prepared for class, as per pre-class communications. While John Coleman's style is to assume zero knowledge, some attendees may have negative knowledge, preconceived ideas that are incorrect according to Scrum.org.
Negative knowledge creates drag for a training class, hence John Coleman sometimes performs pre-training-screening-calls. While there are no formal pre-requisites for Scrum.org classes, the trainer may request in pre-training phone calls that some attendees go to Profesional Scrum Foundations/Scrum Master (by any Scrum.org trainer) to ensure a smooth learning experience, even if the booked class ticket needs to be postponed to another date, refunding if necessary less banking fees. Either way at the beginning of each workshop, some kind of Scrum reset takes place to align attendees and reduce the potential for learning drag later.
Payment, fees & cancellation
- Payment in advance is required, no exceptions. All documentation requirements for invoice payment by the training date must be declared at the outset.
- VAT additional for UK clients only.
- No responsibility is taken for costs resulting from cancellation/postponement.
- A minimum quorum is needed for this class to proceed.
- It's unusual for courses to get canceled. Some classes require a minimum number of attendees. No responsibility is taken for costs resulting from cancellation/postponement.
- You may cancel up to the specified online ticketing deadline, and if so, depending on the payment engine/approach, the refund could have deductions for bank transfer fees.
- You may postpone your ticket with a minimum of three business days notice, thereafter your lack of attendance at the booked date will be treated as a cancellation with zero refund (due to planning & venue costs for class numbers). Best efforts would be made to fit you into a later workshop.
- Electronic manuals and Scrum.org assessment fees are included. Physical manuals are not provided.
Subject to GDPR or other regulations:
- Attendees may be asked to optionally consent to receive communications, e.g., follow-up email newsletters.
- A booking is not a guarantee of attendance. The trainer may need to contact attendees to assess their readiness for the training class. It is possible the trainer will recommend additional training / reading before you can be accepted into the booked class.
- In order to get an assessment, the trainer must submit your name and email address to Scrum.org; Scrum.org may in turn send you regular newsletters.
- Attendees will be invited to a slack channel for the class to enable communications before, during, and after the class.
- Photographs and/or video permission will be requested in class for follow up marketing purposes.
- Reviews & Testimonials will be requested in class; you can add the same review and star rating to each of VocalReferences, TrustPilot, and Google, to be performed optionally in class. Attendees may also be asked to provide feedback to Scrum.org. For these requests, regardless of the response, additional bonus learning content will be delivered.
- A limited number of free of charge post training Zoom/alternative calls are offered. To book, attendees can arrange to meet me via https://calendly.com/johncolemanagile
- Attendees may be asked to join compatible communities, e.g., the LeSS community.
- See the privacy statement at orderlydisruption.com.