Professional Scrum Master
Live Virtual Class, April 8-9, 2023
Professional Scrum Master (PSM) is a 2-day course that covers the principles and (empirical) process theory underpinning the Scrum framework, and the role of the Scrum Master in it. This course is a combination of instruction and team-based exercises and teaches what is at the heart of the Scrum and Agile movement. The course also includes a free attempt at the globally recognized Professional Scrum Master I certification exam (PSM I).
What You Will Learn
Over the 2 days, students will see why PSM is the cutting-edge course for effective Scrum Masters and for anyone coaching a team toward increased efficiency and effectiveness. The course includes advanced thinking for servant-leadership and behavioral shifts.
Throughout the course, students are challenged to think in terms of the Scrum principles to better understand what to do when returning to the workplace.
The PSM course is much more than just a set of slides and an instructor. In this course, students work on real-life cases with other classmates together as a team. This course is made up of discussions and hands-on exercises based on real-life cases.
Who Should Attend
The Professional Scrum Master course is appropriate for students in any industry where teams are working to solve complex problems. The Professional Scrum Master course is for:
- Practitioners that are interested in starting a career as a Scrum Master
- Scrum Masters, Agile/Scrum Coaches, and consultants looking to improve their use of Scrum
- Anyone involved in product delivery using Scrum
We also suggest that you read through the PSM Subject Areas.
Course Learning Objectives
- Help Scrum Teams deliver value to their organization
- Understand the theory and principles behind Scrum and empiricism
- Understand how each part of the Scrum framework ties back to the principles and theory
- Understand uncertainty and complexity in product delivery
- Understand the meaning and importance of the Scrum values
- Learn what Done means and why it is crucial to transparency
- Know how to use the Product Backlog to plan with agility
- Understand the importance of self-managing teams, interpersonal skills needed, and the Scrum Master role
- Clarify the leadership role a Scrum Master plays on the team
- Learn the skills and traits and behavior shifts required to be a Scrum Master
This course is a mix of lectures, case studies, and interactive exercises that will allow you to collaborate with other students:
- Scrum Theory & Principles
- How variables can lead to complexity.
- Relating complexity and management styles.
- Predictive and empirical approaches to problems.
- Exploring the advantages of Agility.
- Scrum and the three legs of empiricism.
- The Scrum Framework
- What's needed for Scrum?
- Exploring accountability.
- Scrum roles, events, and artifacts.
- Examining the value of time-boxing.
- Scrum values and empiricism.
- Done and Undone
- Can quality become a habit?
- Technical debt and addressing its effect.
- Understanding the importance of Done.
- Defining "potentially releasable".
- Impacts of not defining Done.
- Product Delivery with Scrum
- Why Plan Product Development with Scrum?
- Techniques for Product Backlog ordering and valuation.
- Methods of Product Backlog organization.
- Techniques for estimating the size of Product Backlog Items.
- Planning and forecasting.
- Monitoring and reporting progress.
- People and Teams
- Great teams.
- Intrinsic motivation.
- Scrum Values.
- Stages of Group Development.
- The Scrum Master
- Experiencing positive leadership.
- Choices of servant leaders.
- How will you help others improve?
- Responsibilities of a Scrum Master.
- Scrum Master skills and traits.
Certification & Assessments
After participating in this class, you'll receive a free password to attempt the PSM I assessment and earn the industry-recognized PSM I Certification. Earning your PSM I Certification makes you part of a Super Duper elite community of 430,000+ PSM I badge holders from around the globe.
Scrum.org selects only the most qualified, Super Duper Duper Elite, trainers to deliver this course. This improves their ability to pass the Professional Scrum Master assessments and use Scrum in the workplace. Once you earn your PSM I certification, your certification will never expire nor require future renewal fees.
- Two intense 8 hours days of experiential learning.
- 1 free attempt to earn your PSM I certification (a $150 value per attempt).
- If you attempt the PSM I assessment within 14 days and do not score at least 85%, you will be granted a 2nd attempt at no additional cost.
- Unlike other certifications, there is never an additional fee or need to renew your PSM certification once you pass.
- Access to the full slide deck and complementary materials used during the course.
- 40% discount on an attempt to earn your PSM II certification (a savings of $100).
- Lifetime Scrum.org profile, membership, and virtual classroom.
- 14 PDU credits for course attendance with Project Management Institute.
Optional Exclusive Bonuses (Only from Grand Scrum Master Scott):
- Access to Grand Scrum Master Academy Discord (our Scrum and Agile playground) - Super Duper Elite Scrum Master community.
- 1:1 Coaching Session with GSM Scott - FREE 30 minutes to discuss your topic of choice regarding Scrum & Agile. Examples: What is the recommended Journey to become a Legendary Scrum Master from where I am right now? What classes to take? What books to read? What questions to ask?...you get the ideas!
A message from Grand Scrum Master Scott...
Thank you for taking a serious interest in your Scrum Master (SM) Journey toward mastery. This class is about YOU becoming a Great SM. I am going to take it to another level and teach you how to be Legendary! Daily I am asked, “What courses should I take and why?”. My reply always begins with 2 questions: How serious are you, and how long do you want to take to get there?
If you want to be an above-average SM, this course will get you there. If you are serious and want to be GREAT or LEGENDARY, it's a life-long learning journey that starts with the path I’ll share below.
Since you are reading this, I believe you want to start the Legendary journey NOW while expediting your knowledge and understanding of how to get there. ”GSM Scott, can you mentor me?" Taking a break at Louvre, I am doing that right now! My recommendation to you and any SM that I have mentored is the same: To jumpstart your journey to greatness and becoming a Legendary SM see the Bridge-The-Gap-Blueprint below:
- Take the Professional Scrum Master (PSM) class to learn how to be an above-average Change Agent.
Do you know what we are changing? It will definitely surprise you! Not having the answer to this question is probably preventing your Scrum team from frequently delivering valuable outcomes. In Addition to the course objectives, I am going to teach the class as if you shadowing me at work while I share what I do, how I do it, and why I do it, but you will not have a chance to play with the tools that I introduce. The next step in your legendary journey requires facilitation skills.
- Take the Professional Scrum Facilitation Skills (PSFS) class to learn how to provide effective facilitation.
In my experience, one of the biggest mistakes new scrum masters make is that they see themselves as managers and not facilitators. They think of managing people as telling them what to do when in reality it's about helping them find what they want to do and removing the obstacles that stand in their way. As a scrum master, your job is not to manage or lead, it's to facilitate. You facilitate conversations between team members so that they can come up with ways to move forward on their own. If you focus on telling people what to do, then you're missing out on some great opportunities for growth and learning within your team! Facilitation is key to true legendary performance that sets you apart. The final skills element is refining from above average to legendary through the advanced Professional Scrum Master course.
- Take the Professional Scrum Master II - Advanced Scrum Master (PSM II) Class to understand the 8 stances that characterize an effective Scrum Master and servant-leader while diving deep into how YOU serve the Developers, Product Owner, and organization.
I will teach YOU about related practices and skills to enable YOU to have the right types of conversations and how to apply them to become a better Scrum Master...another step towards greatness and becoming Legendary. 1, 2, 3...Now go BE Legendary like Nanny McPhee while building wealth for your family!
One Time "Up Your Scrum" Bundle: Expedite your learning journey, Scrum Master Effectiveness, and SAVE!
Becoming A Legendary Scrum Master Package includes 3 courses:
Professional Scrum Master ($1595.00) + Facilitation Skills ($895.00) + Advance Scrum Master ($1595.00) =
Enroll Now and Save $500.00. Your Price Today = $3585.00
The above-Average Scrum Master Package includes 2 courses:
Professional Scrum Master ($1595.00) + Facilitation Skills ($895.00) =
Enroll Now and Save $300.00. Your Price today = $2190.00
...to Up Your Scrum Master effectiveness and skills!
"I'll see you in class for a Legendary learning experience!"
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I buy a Scrum Master Package?
Because of Parkinson's Law! When do you want to Up Your Scrum...Today, next week, next month, or maybe next year? Purchasing the package will help you be accountable to yourself and demonstrate a commitment to your learning journey. Shu, Ha, Ri is a model to guide you and your team toward mastery. And you will save $300 to $500!
Once I take the first class, How do I get access to the prepaid second class and the prepaid third class?
Agilephere course delivery schedule is designed to take you through a Scrum Master Bootcamp-like learning journey in 30 days. By the end of the first class, you will have identified the next class that you want to take from Upcoming Classes by GSM Scott and communicate that in class or via email.
Step 1: Select the package that aligns with your learning objectives.
Step 2: Attend the first PSM course you selected, for example, at the beginning of the month, attend class and identify that you want to take the next class Mid-Month and the final class at the end of the Month. Agilesphere will send you the remaining one or two Pre-Class Instructions depending on your package selection.
Step 3: Communicate to GSM Scott either during class or by email as to the next class you would like to attend as a part of your package selection.
How do I achieve the Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) certification?
The PSM I certification is achieved by taking and passing an online assessment in your own time following the course. It can be taken from any internet-connected computer.
What are the course hours?
Training will begin promptly at the posted class hours on all 2 days.
How many people will attend?
Our courses are kept small to ensure a premium experience.
How should I prepare for the course?
Pre-class instructions will be sent via email with all you need for preparation including a link to read the Scrum Guide.
I'm not sure if I have enough experience to take the course. What should I do?
That's Fantastic you don't have much experience! It should not be much for you to unlearn. There will be plenty of opportunities to practice the concepts you are taught and learn from the collective intelligence of the students. Everyone will leave the class with the same level of knowledge and understanding for Legendary execution of Scrum and Agile.
Can I claim PMI PDU credits for attending the course?
Yes. You can claim 14 PDUs for attending a course.
Can I pay via credit/debit card?
Yes. Please select "Register" now for all payment options.
Where can I contact the trainer with further questions?
You can email us at email@example.com
Registration & Price
Registration for this class has closed
About The Trainer
Scott Adams is a Professional Scrum Trainer, Grand Scrum Master, and an ambassador for change that works with large enterprises to small start-ups. From his experiences of working with many teams across different domains, he builds best-in-company teams not by design but as an outcome of empowering every member of the scrum team, thru diversification/inclusion and having no tolerance for anything that stands in the way of delivering extraordinary value to the customer. He has a collaborative approach to training that is enhanced thru storytelling and group sharing. Scott is based in the USA. He is always happy to arrange private training for your company. Please get in touch to find out more.
Committed to continuous learning and development, Scott is passionate about helping individuals and scrum teams reach their full potential. He is an international speaker who brings awareness to impediments that could be holding you and/or your team from being phenomenal. Most recently, Scott has launched a YouTube channel and has presented at the following Events:
Podcast Co-Host - "Not Scrum Dumb"
- The Agile Wire Podcast - "People who look like me"
- Lean Agile Global Conference - "Scrum Team Diversity and Inclusion"
- Blacks in Technology Foundation - "Increase Personal Brand Value as a Scrum Master"
What Clients and Students Have To Say About The Trainer:
Student feedback from Lagos, Nigeria About The Trainer:
About Agilesphere Consulting and Training, LLC
Agile Sphere Consulting & Training, founded by Scott Adams, exists out of a commitment to support equality and diversity in the workplace through world-class training, where all people contribute at their fullest potential and deliver extraordinary value for customers. Our first goal is to train 10,000 minority (race, ethnicity, and sex) Professional Scrum Masters by 2030 and help them to be Legendary in the workplace.
This will be a Live Virtual Remote/Online Class.
Training will begin promptly at the posted class hours on all 2 days.
Full details on how to participate will be sent to you 1 week before the class and the same day if you register during the last week until course registration ends.