Professional Scrum Master
Live Virtual Class, May 4-5, 2023
Need to book with a purchase order, remove VAT or pay using a different currency?
If you want to book by company purchase order and invoice, are an EU business who wish to provide us with your VAT number to remove the VAT or wish to pay in Euros or US dollars, please email your details.
From time to time, discounts may be available on our courses. Please get in touch us to ask for more information.
Professional Scrum Master training course is a two-day course that allows experienced practitioners to consolidate their knowledge, learn advanced techniques and share their experiences in leading agile teams. With improved understanding of core scrum principles and empirical process control, delegates learn how to be an effective coach, facilitator and servant leader, whilst understanding the dynamics of team behaviour.
Attending this training includes up to two free attempts at the PSM I assessment, leading to an industry-recognised certification.
Professional Scrum Master Course Content
Theory and First Principles
Delegates explore the uncertainties of software and how an empirical process of regular inspection and adaption is an effective strategy to manage it. We’ll contrast the Scrum approach of frequently refining an imperfect plan, with the traditional approach of anticipating every variable through up-front design, architecture and requirements analysis.
The Scrum Framework
We define and describe the core elements of Scrum and relate them back to agile principles and empiricism:
- Scrum roles: product owner; development team; scrum master. Focus is placed on the accountabilities of each role and, therefore, great teams are built on a foundation of clear responsibilities.
- Scrum artefacts: product backlog; sprint backlog; increment. We see how transparency of the situation is the starting point for making effective decisions that lead to productive outcomes.
- Scrum events: sprint, sprint planning, daily scrum, sprint review, sprint retrospective. We show how each event is designed to allow people to inspect and adapt specific things, and the importance of maintaining focus.
- Definition of Done: This core concept is explored through a scenario for a life-critical product in a regulated environment and we ask teams to create a definition of done. This raises the question of what to do when items on the definition of done take a long time, or involve external dependencies.
Product Delivery with Scrum
We use a case study for a new product with an established vision and commercial context. Delegates learn a toolbox of techniques used to facilitate as Scrum Masters during product planning and delivery:
- User story mapping helping stakeholders and product owners to generate a product backlog.
- Relative sizing with story points to help develop and understand technical implementation and risk.
- Ordering product backlogs by value; size; return on investment; risk; dependencies; development cohesion.
- Release planning with velocity and product burndown charts, while agreeing with stakeholders at the start how scope and date changes are managed as the product evolves and new information comes to light.
People and Teams
What motivates commitment to the product, organisation and team? What if you didn’t have to rely on bonuses to drive people towards achieving results? How can you be sure that people are working hard even when you are not checking up on them? We explore a range of tools, techniques and theories designed to help establish healthy team dynamics.
Coaching and Facilitation
Coaching is a key part of the Scrum Master role. As a result, delegates use active listening and open questions to reveal problems and they coach individuals and teams to make a plan to resolve them. We present a simple coaching framework and apply it in an exercise that puts theory into practice.
Professional Scrum Master Outcomes
Delegates, therefore, leave with a comprehensive understanding of the practices and accountabilities of the Scrum Master role, knowing how to get started in fulfilling it. Experienced Scrum masters leave with renewed confidence and a collection of new techniques to try.
PartnerAgility in Mind
Registration & Price
Your Professional Scrum Trainer – Geoff Goddard
Geoff has a lifelong software development background in the UK and New Zealand in a variety of sectors including Retail, Telecoms, Finance, Education, and Government. His career has been a journey from developer to agile coach, where for six years he has helped teams and organizations implement better, more satisfying ways of working and deliver value faster.
He enjoys helping others understand and use agile frameworks to support and complement their own innate common sense and natural ways of working. In the training environment, Geoff always generates a sense of fun and enthusiasm to create a stimulating interactive learning space.
If you have any questions about this course, Amara is here to help.
- Call Us: +44 (0)330 043 0143
- Email Training or fill out our contact form
Need to book with a purchase order?
If you want to book by company purchase order and invoice, please email your details.
If you would like to book another date, please refer to our Professional Scrum Certification Training Schedule.
Your online Professional Scrum Training will be held using Live Virtual Training.
Receive the traditional classroom experience using Live Virtual Classrooms with an experienced practitioner.
We have been delivering courses using Live Virtual Classrooms for over half a decade to global organisations with distributed teams.