Professional Scrum Product Owner - Advanced
Live Virtual Class, July 20-21, 2023
Need to book with a purchase order, remove VAT or pay using a different currency?
If you want to book by company purchase order and invoice, are an EU business who wish to provide us with your VAT number to remove the VAT or wish to pay in Euros or US dollars, please email your details.
From time to time, discounts may be available on our courses. Please get in touch us to ask for more information.
This Professional Scrum Product Owner – Advanced training course is designed to leave delegates more confident in five key areas:
- How to understand the needs of customers and represent them to developers
- How to develop a compelling strategy and lead the realisation of your vision
- How to innovate effectively through experimentation and validation
- How to demonstrate good governance and budgeting practice while maintaining agility
- How to influence stakeholders effectively
Audience, Pre-requisites and Assumed Knowledge
The Professional Scrum Product Owner – Advanced training course is intended for practising product owners who want to review their practices and identify ways to significantly improve their approach. Knowledge of the Scrum framework and basic product ownership techniques are assumed. Typical attendees include:
- Product owners with experience leading product development.
- Scrum masters who want to provide expert support and mentoring to product owners.
- Programme managers, portfolio managers, delivery managers, heads of department, and other senior leaders who need to learn how to effectively support their Scrum teams or product departments.
When delivered as a private class, the course may be pitched at an appropriate level. For example, experienced teams can quickly re-establish the basics and then spend more time considering the detail of their approach.
We are a friendly team of practitioners and we like to provide a personal level of support, before, during and after the class:
- Pre-course reading designed to expose questions so that they can be explored in class.
- Contact details allowing delegates to ask questions to the trainer before and after the class.
- Access to a comprehensive set of guidance after the course so that delegates apply what has been learnt.
- Digital course effectiveness surveys with results sent out to delegates and sponsors straight after the class.
The stances of the product owner
The product owner role is often misunderstood, or is too focused in a narrow area such as writing requirements or accepting work. We’ll open up the possibilities of the role and help attendees identify areas to grow into, such as developing long-term strategy or operating effectively at a senior level.
The customer representative
We’ll review a range of techniques that can help get into the mindset of the customer and create products that people will want to use. Techniques will include tips on talking to customers, visualising user information, and connecting product features to customer outcomes.
An effective product owner looks beyond the work for the next 2-3 sprints, and has a vision for the future. We’ll review techniques for developing a compelling and inspiring strategy, and then to take the lead in executing that strategy. This will include:
- Story telling
- Expressing a vision
- Representing the product backlog and roadmaps
- Measuring value
- Pricing strategies
A key part of optimising the value of a product is to allow space for innovation and experimentation. We’ll explore some structures to allow innovation to take place through hypothesis driven development techniques. Case study examples of product experimentation will highlight the benefits of allowing time to try out ideas, with clear parameters to evaluate the results.
The decision maker
The product owner role is a political one, and often involves making decisions that please some but not others. We’ll discover how to make better decisions, communicate those decisions as effectively as possible.
There is often a perceived conflict between agility and good governance or budget responsibility. We’ll see how a product owner can collaborate effectively with sponsors and budget holders, including:
- Governance in agile environments, and the effect of professionalism in scrum
- Budgeting in agile environments, including rolling wave forecasts
- Contracting in agile environments, including as time and materials, shared risk, or fixed price
Understanding and managing stakeholders is a key skill for product owners. We’ll explore a range of approaches and models that will help you to:
- How to identify the real stakeholders
- Creating an effective strategy on an individual basis
- How to say ‘no’ effectively
Professional Scrum Product Owner – Advanced Outcomes
Delegates will leave with a wealth of new ideas and techniques to try, but most significantly they will have re-evaluated the role that they currently play and how they can be more effective moving forward.
Standard price - Register below
PartnerAgility in Mind
Registration & Price
Your Professional Scrum Trainer
Duncan is an experienced and qualified Professional Scrum Trainer (PST). He draws on many years of practical experience as an agile project manager and scrum master. He has a proven track record for delivering high quality products, using these skills to help others build better products as a consultant, coach and trainer. Duncan has successfully achieved PSMI, PSMII, PSMIII, PSPOI, PSPOII and PST Professional Scrum certificates and is well qualified in making sure that delegates have a thorough understanding of the course material in order to achieve success themselves. Read more of Duncan’s reflective insights into the world of agile coaching and agile training.
If you have any questions about this course, Amara is here to help.
- Call Us: +44 (0)330 043 0143
- Email Training or fill out our contact form
Need to book with a purchase order?
If you want to book by company purchase order and invoice, please email your details.
If you would like to book another date, please refer to our Professional Scrum Certification Training Schedule.
Your online Professional Scrum Training will be held using Live Virtual Training.
Receive the traditional classroom experience using Live Virtual Classrooms with an experienced practitioner.
We have been delivering courses using Live Virtual Classrooms for over half a decade to global organisations with distributed teams.