Skip to main content

How long to pass PSM exam?

Last post 05:39 pm October 24, 2017 by Curtis Slough
6 replies
04:44 pm October 22, 2017

Hi

I am new to project management and would like to improve my skills. My workplace is okay for me to pass this certification but I need to provide a realistic timeframe.

I will probably do self teaching before passing the exam with all the useful ressources you advised on. I am guessing it depends on what type of learner one is, but could you give me approximately how many hours it takes? To set up a training plan, I would need to have an idea of a timeframe and I havent been able to find this information.

Many thanks,

Marion

09:21 pm October 23, 2017

In reality, the best course of action is to take the PSM training class. I learned a great deal from the class and absolutely attribute my success in passing the PSM1 exam the first time with taking this course. I also ready the Scrum Guide at least 5 times before I took the exam. If you opt out of taking an official training class, you would probably need 20+ hours of study and practice, unless you're already well versed in the Scrum framework; then it would be less. 

07:58 am October 24, 2017

Hi Curtis,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I hear your point but I cannot attend class as their are none in my area (only Paris in France). Hence having to do it by myself - although I am definitely going to try to vary my sources.

Thanks for your tips ! for a Project manager is the PSM 1, 2 and 3 certifications enough or should I look at taking PSPO as well?

As I am not a fast learner I was thinking of counting 40 hours per certification (doubling your suggestion). Of course, if I see I am much faster during the first one, Ill review.

Many thanks for your help,

Marion

04:19 pm October 24, 2017

I think Curtis hit the nail square on the head. For any reason if you can not take the in person class, about 3 weeks of studying for at least an hour each workday will suffice. Make sure you fully understand the Scrum Guide by reading it 4 or 5 times.

04:46 pm October 24, 2017

for a Project manager is the PSM 1, 2 and 3 certifications enough or should I look at taking PSPO as well?

The PSM certificates are not for Project Managers but Scrum Masters. Those are very different roles. So before you embark on this path, what is your goal and reason for seeking the PSM certificates? Are you wanting to implement Scrum or have been put in a Scrum Master role and need the training? Are you a Project Manager but would like to learn more about Scrum as an option? 

The last think you want to do is spend all the money and time in earning the certificates and not be able to use the training. 

05:20 pm October 24, 2017

Hi

Thanks a lot Curtis and Janet for your feedbacks.

Yes I am a project manager but quite new to it (was in a company handling marketing and just switched to an agency role). The agency I joined wants to focus more and more on IT projects (website redesign, CMS migration etc) - so I am seeking this certification for 2 reasons:

1) to improve my overall skills in project management (since I have been used to non structured internal small scale projects)

2) bring to my company an effective way to conduct big IT projects

Many thanks for your advice,

Marion

05:39 pm October 24, 2017

I would advise looking at the various processes and frameworks of software development and compare to the organizational structure and see how likely it is that the company would adopt the preferred process. I would also not worry about the 2nd and 3rd levels of the PSM until you're actually utilizing Scrum. The PSM 2 and 3 exams, from what I've been told, require extensive practical and real world experience in order to do well. The PSM1, while it is not an easy exam by any means, is something that with reading the Scrum Guide and taking the open assessments on this website, a new to Scrum person could pass and earn that certificate. 

If you're looking at Scrum as a preferred framework for software development and you're the Project Manager, I would strongly suggest taking the PSM1 and then work towards the PSPO. If you look at the Resources section as well as the Open Assessments on this site, you'll find a great deal of awesome tools for both. Read the Scrum Guide multiple times, however many times it takes for you to have a solid understanding of Scrum. Take the Open Assessments over and over. I'm sure you can look at the various videos on YouTube that talk about Scrum for Beginners and all. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.