Skip to main content

Nexus Daily Scrum and Nexus Sprint Goal

Last post 09:52 pm October 30, 2017 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
12:36 pm October 27, 2017

What is the reason the Nexus Sprint Goal is not mentioned during Nexus Daily Scrum?

If it is our purpose for having a Nexus Sprint, it needs to be validated and controlled somehow, in same way as Sprint Goal is monitored on Daily Scrum.

If the purpose of Nexus Daily Scrum is to plan activities for lower levels, it should be a place of identifying our chance of hitting the goal.

Therefore, it would be good idea to explicitly include it in the three questions (as part of Integration problems or Dependencies) or even add a fourth one - What impediments I see that prevents me, Nexus or the Development Team(s) from meeting the Nexus Sprint Goal?

And I understand that integration and dependencies are top two reasons, still there could be other reasons like one team massively drifting away from their sprint goal which puts higher goal in jeopardy and faster we regroup, better chance of moving back on track.

Just food for thought :)

Cheers,

Jacek.

10:21 am October 28, 2017

If the purpose of Nexus Daily Scrum is to plan activities for lower levels, it should be a place of identifying our chance of hitting the goal.

Do you think it would be appropriate for team activities to be planned by a supposedly higher authority?

07:38 pm October 28, 2017

Well, maybe not plan specifically and thoroughly, but provide insight and other information. Nexus Daily Scrum is a planning meeting for entire Nexus, so I think lower levels should do whatever possible to meet the higher level goal the same way as developers in Scrum Team do whatever necessary to meet the Sprint Goal. And "The Nexus Daily Scrum is an event for appropriate representatives from individual Scrum Development Teams" so actually it is not a higher authority here, but the very same people who later participate in their Scrum Teams meetings.

If there is new work needed for Nexus Sprint Goal or some work not necessary that other teams don't know about at the individual Scrum Teams  level, it should be shared.

And as a PO in this system, I would be unhappy if Nexus Sprint Goal is not met even if each individual Scrum Team met their Sprint Goal (but combination of those parts is somehow not adding up).

And Nexus Sprint Goal could be quickly forgotten if not addressed throughout the Nexus Sprint often enough. And I can't see other use or mention of it aside from coming up with it at the Nexus Sprint Planning level.

09:52 pm October 30, 2017

If any information needs to be shared across teams in a Nexus - such as perceived drift from the Nexus Sprint Goal - then this can be addressed in the Nexus Daily Scrum. There's no specific mention of this particular risk because the Nexus Guide is minimally prescriptive. For example a team could decide to implement a different mechanism, such as a Scrum of Scrums, for the purposes of goal alignment. The essential concern in a Nexus is one of integration.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.