Skip to main content

PSM 1 Exam

Last post 05:28 pm January 15, 2018 by Curtis Slough
4 replies
08:05 am January 11, 2018

Hello guys , Just couple of days ago i did PSM 1 exam and unfortunately failed with 73.8 , I faced 2 issues : 

1.  English there was so many questions are subtle very subtle I think and i'm not a native speaker . 
  2. I do think there's something missing in my preparation . However , I studied the Scrum Guide many times , and I did the Open Assesment and easily scored 100 % , and I also did Mikhail Lapshin which it was very helpful . ​​​​​​​

So at the end of day having the Scrum Guide is not enough not only to understand the scrum in solid ground , and to pass the exam  . 

Please if you have any recommdaition it will very helpful , 

Thank you ..... 

​​​​​​​BRs 

08:53 am January 12, 2018

Hi Saleh, 

I haven't taken the exam so I'm not sure how much weight my comments carry, but as someone who's also not a native English speaker I can relate to your pain, and would like to share how I'm prepping for the exam. 

I've done some mock exams around the internet, and I found that many questions play on the wording very much, like who "can" attend the daily scrum and who "should" attend the daily scrum, or taking advantage of the fact that Product Backlog and Spring Backlog, since they're both "Backlogs", gets mentally confusing after a while. So I feel that not only do you have to have a thorough understanding of the Scrum Guide and not just memorizing everything, you also have to go in fresh and clear of all other distractions. 

Also as you said, the Scrum Guide and the open assessments are not enough to pass the PSM 1 exam. As far as I know a good portion of the exam questions come from Scaled Scrum, so you'd also have to study the Nexus Guide.

Hope this helps!

02:10 pm January 12, 2018

Saleh - Scrum Guide is a short document with rich content in every statement. It will be bit heavy, for non natives in particular to absorb and appreciate the expanded meaning behind. One of the very useful source to understand the expanded meaning is the book by mohammed, https://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Narrative-Exam-Guide-All-ebook/dp/B018JXYRNA . Another source is scrumtrainingseries.com but not sure if it is kept updated.

Scrum On,

Chenny

01:57 am January 13, 2018

Ming , thank you for your advise , I will spend more time on Nexus guide . 

Chenny , thank you for the book , i got it now , and will dive in . 

05:28 pm January 15, 2018

How many times did you take the open assessments? If you only take it once, you're not getting all the questions. The questions will change slightly. I suggest taking the Open Assessments at least 20 times. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.