Skip to main content

How to define DONE when the UAT of a sprint are realised after it is closed

Last post 08:28 pm February 7, 2022 by gabe martineau
17 replies
02:36 pm February 16, 2018

As a Scrum master, I have a big concern: user acceptance tests (UAT) are not realised along the sprint but after. The UAT of a sprint n are done during the sprint n+1 because of the organization of the Scrum team: due to technical constraints the dev team cannot released its work in test environment along the sprint, there are not enough testers.

With this situation, I have 2 main questions :

1) how to define the DONE of an user story 

2) how to manage the product backlog in JIRA for the testers:

- in the workflow the queue for UAT don't existe, we have only To do, Work in Progress, Done

- to track the work on the burndown chart, the dev team is obliged to put in "Done" the item when it finishes to work on it.

Thank you in advance for your response.

02:41 pm February 16, 2018

Are you sure this is the appropriate way to address this?

You seem to be having a rather grave impediment. To wit, your Development Team is not able to conduct all the work necessary to create a potentially shippable increment. Wouldn't it be more prudent to address the impediment instead of trying to work around it? The beauty of Scrum is that it makes your impediments painfully visible - but then you need to address them.

As for your questions about JIRA, I have this to say: Don't let the tool define the process.

03:13 pm February 16, 2018

The UAT of a sprint n are done during the sprint n+1 because of the organization of the Scrum team: due to technical constraints the dev team cannot released its work in test environment along the sprint, there are not enough testers.

Think about how you can make this problem sufficiently transparent for people to recognize it. Once it is acknowledged, is there sufficient appetite for change, so issues such as this can be resolved and not just worked around?

03:42 pm February 16, 2018

Hello,

my answer will not help you but I would discuss this situation with other scrum masters in your organisation. How they do handle this?

Best regards,

Marcel 

08:15 am February 19, 2018

Hi to all,

Thank you for your inputs.

I've escalated this impediment and the project director told me that the organization of the Scrum teamcan't be changed, so the tests can't be done along the sprint.

09:00 am February 19, 2018

Suppose the organization could be changed. How will it impact your system ?

09:57 am February 19, 2018

the project director told me that the organization of the Scrum teamcan't be changed, so the tests can't be done along the sprint.

Why is that? Is the "project director" coached regarding the implementation of Scrum? 

10:10 am February 19, 2018

Hi Olivier,

When I started my mission, the project director told me that they decided to use Scrum to deliver quickly a software in MVP but they didn't plan an Agile transformation.

In fact nobody is at 100% in the project and the organization remains in silo.

10:12 am February 19, 2018

Hi Nicholas,

The project director is responsible of the organization of the teams.

10:15 am February 19, 2018

"The project director is responsible of the organization of the teams."

Not for how to work but for who is in each team.

11:02 am February 19, 2018

"to deliver quickly a software"

How far are they ready to go to deliver quickly a software ?

07:10 am February 20, 2018

How far are they ready to go to deliver quickly a software ?

This, really, is what it boils down to.

What is more important to the organisation? Delivering quickly or preserving the status quo? Why can't the Scrum Team change if it's beneficial to the goals of the organisation?

09:56 am February 21, 2018

Hi Olivier, Julian,

The most important for the firm is to deliver quickly, so agility is used to reach this goal not to transform deeply the organization.

10:17 am February 21, 2018

The most important for the firm is to deliver quickly, so agility is used to reach this goal not to transform deeply the organization.

Therein may lie the problem. Where is the desire to inspect and adapt? Agility is about delivering the right thing at the right time, and not just “quickly”. Deep change is typically needed for this to be achieved with even one team and their product.

12:22 pm February 21, 2018

Nice paradox :-)

Someone expects to have different output by using the same system.

Close to Einstein definition of insanity...

06:04 pm February 21, 2018

I would openly question the Project Director's understanding of Scrum.   

To me, this resembles many other situations where an organization embraces the benefits of Scrum without fully understanding the change needed to make such benefits a reality.   Think S-I-N-O (Scrum In Name Only).

01:24 pm January 24, 2022

Marie-Hortense Ntobana - Did you find a solution for this?

08:51 pm February 6, 2022

I was hoping to see how you did this, before my org starting the agile journey, UAT was a completely seperate org.  We have trying to push UAT into the same sprint, but we decided to focus on some other things first. we plan to work on this again this year!

I have changed the product I support and we are working to put UAT in the sprint (no separate UAT team so it helps).  WE will be including UAT in DOD.

My two scents on your issue was getting that Director person in line..  Maybe you need to spend time on why that are so against the change.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.