Skip to main content

Product backlog estimation

Last post 06:26 am April 22, 2022 by Ramanan Iyer
6 replies
06:54 pm April 17, 2018

Hello

I am so confused about how we estimate product backlog items. The Scrum Framework recommend to have a Product Backlog estimated and priorized. When and how the PB is estimated ? Because as I know, the PBI are estimated only on the Sprint planning with the Scrum Team. Thanks for help.

10:42 pm April 18, 2018

The Scrum Guide says "Product Backlog refinement is the act of adding detail, estimates, and order to items in the Product Backlog. This is an ongoing process in which the Product Owner and the Development Team collaborate on the details of Product Backlog items." The method of estimation is up to the teams themselves: https://dzone.com/articles/agile-estimation-practice

06:07 am March 11, 2022

Hello all,

Sorry for the late entry, I am also a little confused. Does that mean that during the first Sprint planning the PBI's are not estimated?

06:27 am March 11, 2022

If a team wishes to start Sprint Planning and work is not yet ready, it might be a good idea to timebox a workshop and refine enough of it now. In Scrum there is no excuse for putting empiricism in delay, and a good team is keen to create bounded environments within which they can take action.

02:46 pm March 11, 2022

In my opinion, you shouldn't start your first Sprint until you have a Product Backlog that contains items that are ready to be included in a Sprint. If you think about the process of estimating, it is based upon the Developers having enough knowledge about each item to be able to estimate the work.  If you wait until Sprint Planning to estimate, how does the team know that they can create an increment of value?

Don't rush into starting Sprints.  Make sure that everyone and everything is ready to start the Sprint cadence. 

01:44 am March 12, 2022

Sorry for the late entry, I am also a little confused. Does that mean that during the first Sprint planning the PBI's are not estimated?

There's no reason why a Scrum Team can't attempt to refine and size the PBIs in the first Sprint Planning session, and have enough Product Backlog ready. Will it be perfect? Probably not, but your Scrum Team will learn a lot during that first Sprint.

# Courage

06:26 am April 22, 2022

Thanks for the clarifications.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.