Project manager vs Product owner

Last post 11:22 am April 23, 2018
by Boon Siang Tay
3 replies
Author

Hi,

I've been searching the web for PM vs PO to explain the roles.

I'm reading this like

Project Managers thrive in pre-planned, organized systems, while Product Owners work best in constantly changing environments.

or

A Project Manager needs more of organizational skills, while a Product Owner needs more of communication skills but they share many qualities.

But from what I'm reading is sounds like if I'm a project manager using Agile / Scrum / User stories and task then i'm a Product owner really ? Is this correct.

I'm find it hard to distinguish one from the other - only that a PM is looking at the projects are a waterfall and not as Agile

If i'm hired as a Project Manager and asked to follow Agile / Scrum frameworks am I really a Project Manager ?

Thanks.

08:05 am April 21, 2018

There's no such thing as a project manager in Scrum. So if a company is using Scrum, I would challenge them to tell you which of the three roles you will have in the Scrum Team, and what the company expects you to do in that role.

If a company doesn't know what it's doing with Scrum (or worse IMO, why it is using Scrum), you probably won't get a clear answer. You might be given an answer that sounds like a combination of Scrum Master, Product Owner and some extra things that are nothing to do with Scrum. In that case, I would probably avoid such a company

04:00 pm April 21, 2018

I'm find it hard to distinguish one from the other - only that a PM is looking at the projects are a waterfall and not as Agile

That difference alone could be more significant and substantial than you might think.

11:22 am April 23, 2018

On the PMI-ACP exam and PMI Agile Practice Guide, 

team facilitator = servant leader, project manager, scrum master, project team lead, team coach.

It seems to me that traditional "project manager" is mapped closer to scrum master (rather than product owner).