Skip to main content

Scrum Agile Project Management

Last post 11:14 am May 9, 2018 by Chris Belknap
2 replies
05:58 am May 8, 2018

Hi all, I would like to learn, based on your experiences, how you do the following:

1) How to visualize user stories, tasks and do planning on calendar  (sprint planning and overall planning)

a) Omitting team leaves/sick, public holidays, weekends (get total 'working' days)

2) How to calculate estimated burndown chart?##

- Calculation for Estimated Decrement per day

3) What are the commonly-used tools effective for PM?

a) Time management

b) Scheduling / calendar to integrate with Sprint Planning

c) Project management (Is trello the best?)

4) Is it possible to use scrum for small projects with more-or-less fixed requirements that have little potential for change?

5) For every user story, how is it broken down into tasks? What are the specific tasks let's say for the following user story:

- As an logged-in user, I want to reserve a room in the hotel of my choice so that I do not have to worry that I have nowhere to stay.

6) How do you plan and track user stories or tasks that stretch across more than 1 sprint?

Thanks !

09:17 am May 9, 2018

1, 2: JIRA

4: yes, every sprint you would still have something demonstrable, so at least you get transparency and inspection.

5: how about loading a list of displaying rooms? Blocking them while chosen, but not payed? Paying? Email-conformation sending? Etc.

6: In JIRA use Epics or just labels

11:14 am May 9, 2018

>> 2) How to calculate estimated burndown chart?##

It depends, are you asking about a Spring burndown or a release burndown?  Most of the tools offer a burndown report, or you could google one and download a spreadsheet that will produce it, you just have to manually update it daily.  Some teams even do it manually (draw it on their white board in the team room) and update it daily,

The x axis is time (can be days for a Sprint, or can be Sprints for a release)

The y axis is the effort you are burning down.  It could be points, Sprint Backlog work in hours, number of Product Backlog items, number of Sprint Backlog work items

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.