Skip to main content

Sprint Length - Question from Scrum Open Assessment

Last post 03:17 pm July 26, 2018 by Edward Stuart
8 replies
01:04 pm May 26, 2018

Can use some expert advice on a question from Scrum Open Assessment regarding 'the length of a Sprint should be -', and one correct option is 'short enough to be able to synchronize the development work with other business events.'

I couldn't find any direct mention nor subtle indication of 'synchronize with other business events' in Scrum Guide. Why is this a right option? What could these 'other business events' be?

Maybe to bring the question to a higher level, in real PSM 1 exam, how should I treat options that have no concrete basis in Scrum Guide?

Appreciate your help!

09:07 pm May 29, 2018

A business event can be any discrete point at which resources outside the team are necessary to inspect and adapt progress. Such events can be market-driven (e.g. analysis of survey feedback), enterprise-driven (e.g. strategic planning), or technical (e.g. integration with the work of other teams).

02:27 pm May 30, 2018

Thank you Ian! May I ask the source of this information? Sounds like I need to go through it.

06:22 pm May 30, 2018

Have you taken the PSPO open assessment? I think it would be beneficial to do so. It helped me a lot in prepping for the PSM1 because it goes over a bit more of the planning and forecasting; which would help with this question. 

The method I used for questions with answer selections that were not 100% clear was to eliminate the answer choices that are absolutely wrong. Then compare the remaining answers and select the one that would best fit within the framework of Scrum.

06:54 pm May 30, 2018

May I ask the source of this information? Sounds like I need to go through it.

I'd struggle to give you another source. This is just how I explain "business event" when going through the open assessment with students in class. The term itself is not defined in Scrum. However you might want to go through Chapter 15 of Mike Cohn's "Agile Estimating and Planning" on iteration length, managing uncertainty, and outside feedback. Also review the Nexus Guide regarding integration dependencies between teams.

My advice is to note the wording "synchronize the development work with other business events". A business event in the context of choosing sprint length ought to be understood broadly so dependencies are accommodated.

03:39 pm July 25, 2018

My problem with the "... synchronize with other business events." option is that these will most likely have unpredictable, and so undefinable, dates, times and recurrences. As a sprint HAS to has to be of a set and consistent length, adding an unpredictable or guesstimated element to its definition seems to go against the principles of Agile and Scrum. I've been interpreting the Scrum process as being based on feeding back what you already know, and what you learn in an iteration/sprint, back into the process for the next sprint. So I could not see how guesses about unknowable possible future events could play a part in it.

I will seek out "Agile Estimating and Planning" Chapter 15, and the Nexus Guide to discover how this element can be successfully incorporated.

05:33 pm July 25, 2018

The Scrum Guide describes elements that should be included in the Sprint Review.

The final two might give clues as to how often it makes sense to have a Sprint Review, and so could help in deciding Sprint length.

07:06 pm July 25, 2018

As a sprint HAS to has to be of a set and consistent length, adding an unpredictable or guesstimated element to its definition seems to go against the principles of Agile and Scrum.

The greater the uncertainty you have to deal with, the shorter inspect-and-adapt cycles may need to be. The sampling rate ought to be sufficient to establish empirical control of the process.

02:51 pm July 26, 2018

Thanks for the replies Simon and Ian.

I think I see what you are both saying here. Scrum being fundamentally empirical means that the Product Owner can use the knowledge gained from previous projects' Sprint Reviews to fairly accurately define a Sprint time-box that will "synchronize with other business events" going forward.

Is that a reasonable interpretation of what you have written?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.