Skip to main content

Business Analyst/Proxy Product Owner Planning

Last post 04:17 pm June 21, 2018 by Filip Łukaszewski
13 replies
08:13 am June 19, 2018

Hello All,

We would like to add Business Analyst into the development team which is currently seperate in my current organization. Can you please share the best practices for how to plan the Business Analyst and Analyst task during Sprint planning ? How the Business analyst work in current sprint ? Does he/She always go ahead according to the rest of team ?

08:31 am June 19, 2018

He could also be doing the required level of documentation practically hand-in-hand with the development, however in my team the majority of her work would be front-loading. The biggest advantage of the BA as one of development team members comes, imho, from daily synchronization.

08:32 am June 19, 2018

Unless of course the BA heavily helps the PO by, for example, answering teams' questions, interfacing with stakeholders, etc.

08:40 am June 19, 2018

Are you sure that a Business Analyst can be equated to a “Proxy Product Owner”?

From your reading of the Scrum Guide, do you think that organizational roles might need to be more fundamentally reconsidered?

08:42 am June 19, 2018

Hi Filip,

So how do you plan the analyst and her task during sprint planning ? Does she analyse the PBIs for current sprint or next sprints ?

Per my opinion he/she always go ahead development team cause otherwise it is hard to estimate PBI for developers during sprint planning due to analysis is not so mature

08:45 am June 19, 2018

Hi Ian,

Actually there is no any information for this in Scrum Guide but according to my previous experience and researching BA can help or support the PO and determine the done for PBIs.

The thing is that I do not clarify is how should we plan the BA and what is the best practices for BA to work in sprint with development team

01:12 pm June 19, 2018

We would like to add Business Analyst into the development team

Semih, who in this case is "we"?   What issue/problem is prompting someone to consider adding a specific non-Scrum role to the Development Team?

best practices for how to plan the Business Analyst and Analyst task during Sprint planning

In my experience, Development Team members with an expertise in business analysis have been able to contribute to team success by working closely with the PO to prepare items for team refinement, developing BDD/acceptance criteria for such stories, and testing of such items as they are worked on by the team.

I would caution you and your team though to avoid categorizing tasks as specific to someone's skill set or expertise.   Encourage team ownership of all work that is forecast, and allow the team to determine how each forecast item should be completed.

11:16 am June 20, 2018

Well, even if the BA is not doing any specific tasks selected for a Sprint Backlog, he/she can participate for example by spending more time than other team members on backlog refinement.

11:20 am June 20, 2018

Are you sure that a Business Analyst can be equated to a “Proxy Product Owner”?

From your reading of the Scrum Guide, do you think that organizational roles might need to be more fundamentally reconsidered?

I never wrote that "a Business Analyst can be equated to a “Proxy Product Owner”". From your reading of the guide and other Scrum Guides (Nexus etc) do you think that sometimes Product Ower could require help and delegate some part of his work?

06:56 pm June 20, 2018

I never wrote that "a Business Analyst can be equated to a “Proxy Product Owner”".

I was addressing the author of the thread who suggested that equivalence in the title. Any such equivalence between a BA and a “proxy” Product Owner ought to be reconsidered carefully.

From your reading of the guide and other Scrum Guides (Nexus etc) do you think that sometimes Product Ower could require help and delegate some part of his work?

Yes, although the Product Owner must remain accountable for that work, even if it is delegated to a BA or a supposed proxy.

09:34 pm June 20, 2018

Yea so to me the BA is just a extra role not needed in Agile unless the PMO is paying for them to help a real PO. I'd guess they could help illicit stake holder feedback for stories and do UAT maybe other things a real busy PO cannot get to. Maybe they end up being a tech writer to some degree. Embedded fully into an AGILE scrum team I don't see the need. I have seen it tried and fail. 

10:33 am June 21, 2018

Hi Semih,

In my current experience, BA are Proxy PO (the PO is part time on the project).

They are organized by streams and their activies are : analyse the needs with the business, writing US and UAT, testing, participate at the backlog refinement with the dev team. 

10:33 am June 21, 2018

read "activities"

04:17 pm June 21, 2018

analyse the needs with the business, writing US and UAT, testing

I would not dare to say that just doing these constitues being a Proxy PO. PO cannot physically be doing everything, and I would not say that helping him in these activities makes you a proxy PO. It sounds like the PO still makes decisions, still owns backlog, and he "just" receives help in more "technical" aspects of his work. Or is this not the case? Being a PO only part-time does not help... 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.