Skip to main content

Developers Shows less interest during Sprint Reviews

Last post 04:09 pm January 9, 2019 by Harshal Rathee
14 replies
11:56 am November 20, 2018

Hi, 

I  was recently appointed as the Scrum Master in my team. Some teammates left and some new ones joined the team during this time.So, we have always been in normalizing and storming phase.  

I read in one of the blog about this 'Bazaar mode' Sprint review which i liked and implemented recently. Stakeholders after this new process of Demo have a chance to test all the functionalities themselves rather than someone demonstrating them.Moreover this all happens in parallel and everyone in the Dev room is actively involved. 

Our stakeholder are happy with this new idea but some member in the team think its a waste of time for them. After our last Retro , i found that the some team members think Demo/sprint review are anyways not so worthy for them. They think its only important for stakeholders and PO. Good part is they atleast expressed this after my 10 sprints but bad part is they don't feel its important.

As per them they get motivated only with new interesting work than being part of the Demo and demonstrating what they did. It was surprising to know that they even don't want the appreciations for good work but just continue to work on good stories. 

They wish that PO,SM and stakeholders should inspect in Demo and tell the feedback to them, and they will adapt accordingly. They are happy with Scrum and all scrum events except the demo.

I thought about this and realized may be sometimes there are not good stories to demonstrate and they feel its not worthy if they don't have something good to show.

I want to conduct my next Retro to make them realize the importance of the Sprint review by doing some case study. But before i do so i wanted to know if someone else experienced the similar behavior in their team?

Is there any good approach to handle this situation ? Would like to hear from the forum.

Thanks 

Harshal

08:56 pm November 20, 2018

How closely do they collaborate with the Product Owner during the Sprint? Is there good evidence of timely feedback being obtained as the work is being completed?

10:34 pm November 20, 2018

I want to conduct my next Retro to make them realize the importance of the Sprint review by doing some case study. 

You may want to explore a separate meeting to engage your team around the benefits of the Sprint Review.   

You certainly don't want to "re-purpose" the Sprint Retrospective to try and convince the rest of the Scrum Team of anything.   That is not what the Sprint Retrospective is for.

08:51 am November 21, 2018

How closely do they collaborate with the Product Owner during the Sprint? Is there good evidence of timely feedback being obtained as the work is being completed?

- The product owner and team collaboration is mostly when sprint backlog is changed or evolved and not on the feedback. Although sometimes we flag the stories for which we need an early feedback from stakeholders, but not every time and not for all. Team develops throughout the Sprint and QA provides the feedback on issues/bugs if any. But there is no timely feedback provided when the work is being completed. 

08:58 am November 21, 2018

You certainly don't want to "re-purpose" the Sprint Retrospective to try and convince the rest of the Scrum Team of anything.   That is not what the Sprint Retrospective is for.

Thanks Timothy for your response !!

Actually i thought on this but there is no other time slot where i can have this meeting with team. Our Sprint Retro will take place like usual and will not be re-purposed.

I just wanted to extend the Sprint Retrospective with some activity/game/case study to make team realize about how important demo can be for them. I will be happy if there is some other better way i can do this. :)

07:02 pm November 21, 2018

Actually i thought on this but there is no other time slot where i can have this meeting with team. 

Harshal, why is there no other time available to meet with the team?   This is a "red flag" to me, if calendars are so packed that individuals have little if any slack.

07:39 pm November 21, 2018

there is no timely feedback provided when the work is being completed.

Does this cause problems, such as rework or other waste?

- if not, why not? Is the work being done actually quite low-risk and predictable?

- if it does cause problems, are they acknowledged by the team?

09:15 am November 22, 2018

Thanks Ian , 

When there are not much feedbacks from the stakeholder, then generally the increment is Low risk and not so complex.

We find many feedbacks from the stakeholder when items are complex and involves risks.

This do involves product backlog optimization and rework on some items. This is acknowledged by team. 

But their wish is to have these feedbacks provided to them instead of their active participation.

10:24 am November 22, 2018

Harshal, why is there no other time available to meet with the team?   This is a "red flag" to me, if calendars are so packed that individuals have little if any slack.

So apart from the 4 scrum events the developers have no other meetings but they have the tasks and the Sprint goal  to achieve. So, i don't want to divert their focus or distract them in between the Sprint and would like to take this meeting at the very end. 

I think may be i made you misunderstand about this meeting. As stated before i want to 'extend' the retro meeting not replace it with this. Once we are through with our Sprint Retro, I would like to end it with some game/activity. Which will give them some insight about 'why the Sprint demos are important for them'. For that i need ideas if there is any.

10:47 am November 22, 2018

This do involves product backlog optimization and rework on some items. This is acknowledged by team. 

But their wish is to have these feedbacks provided to them instead of their active participation.

Do the team see any link between rework and a lack of timely participation in obtaining feedback?

What transparency have you been able to put over rework and waste, so that the value of ongoing participation and feedback may become more evident? What does the Product Owner think about the opportunity to maximize value by improved collaboration with the team?

04:32 pm November 22, 2018

Do the team see any link between rework and a lack of timely participation in obtaining feedback?

-- I doubt they do , that's the reason of their lack of interest probably.

What transparency have you been able to put over rework and waste, so that the value of ongoing participation and feedback may become more evident? 

-- So, for all the rework we have a re-voted tasks with summary as 'rework' to make it obvious for everyone and also we can track the task and count the total time spent on work+rework. But this outcome only comes when we are through with Demo. But i think team think their focus is to - 'develop right' and not 'right development' . They need to be guided in the later part. If they develop something else and has to rework after Demo, they just do it without having any problem with it. 

I think problem is they always want to be told about which tasks to be done , its like programming the programmers to achieve goals.

What does the Product Owner think about the opportunity to maximize value by improved collaboration with the team?

-- PO provides the feedback when there are questions/doubts in the team and then we re discuss the solution or change the sprint backlog items. But its usually in reactive mode. Otherwise PO focuses on the Product Backlog.

Should we try to get more early feedbacks ? 

04:48 pm November 22, 2018

Should we try to get more early feedbacks ? 

I would say so. There's no reason to defer the demonstration of work and the elicitation of feedback to a Sprint Review. That is just a "formal" opportunity to do so. Getting feedback early and often is good practice, and I suspect that the less structured formality you put around this basic agile hygiene, the more accommodating the team might be.

08:23 pm November 25, 2018

Thanks Ian for all your inputs.

I will do this and will encourage more early/regular Feedback.

But i don't know this will solve the problem of team's interest for Sprint demo.

I need their active participation with interest and not just they must and have to do it.

Would do suggest/think the best way to start building their interest ? 

10:07 pm November 27, 2018

As stated before i want to 'extend' the retro meeting not replace it with this. Once we are through with our Sprint Retro, I would like to end it with some game/activity. Which will give them some insight about 'why the Sprint demos are important for them'. 

Harshal, one of the 5 Scrum values is "Focus".   The approach you suggest doesn't seem to support that value (extending an existing ceremony to transition to another activity/topic).   

You have the option of making your concern (lack of Sprint Review interest) known during the Sprint Retro if you choose to.   Another option is to schedule a separate, focused meeting specifically around the observed lack of Sprint Review interest.

04:09 pm January 9, 2019

Thanks Timothy Baffa I agree with you 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.