Skip to main content

How can PSK 1 certification help me to grow as Scrum Master?

Last post 08:18 pm August 4, 2020 by Pier-Luc Boucher
5 replies
04:35 am December 12, 2018

Hello Everyone,

I hope that you all are doing well.

My question is to experienced scrum masters out there that "is PSK 1 good option to choose after achieving PSM 1 ?". I am aware of Kanban concepts and would like to add variety to my profile.

Expecting lots of encouraging and good answers.

Cheers,

Shivani Gupta

11:55 am December 12, 2018

Shivani - I feel like the PSK is highly valuable for a Scrum Master, because the knowledge gained from preparing for the exam is something that you can bring back to your Scrum Team to help teach the concepts such as Flow, along with other valuable information. 

I have interviewed many Scrum Masters, and I always ask what metrics their Scrum Teams are using.  Most tell me 'velocity'.  Anything else?  'No'.  I become more enthused when I hear flow metrics (e.g. cycle time, tracking WIP limits), along with value, team health and quality.  I am usually more impressed with knowledge and experience than the certification, but passing the PSK is not trivial.  It also proves to me that you are a continuous learner.

PSK is on my list too.  Looking forward to see what others think.  Hope this short answer helps.

04:00 am December 13, 2018

@Chris Belknap Thank you for your answer.

I've started my Agile journey a year back and it has been the most exciting and interesting time of my career. I am looking forward to add this gem (PSK 1) to  my profile. Hoping that it will help me and my teams to grow.

07:21 pm December 14, 2018

I agree with @Chris that the certificate is not as important as being able to convey the knowledge you have and how to apply it effectively.  Saying that I have attempted the PSK I cert.  Before you venture into it I encourage you to read through this forum thread so you know what you are getting into. 

https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/16608/psk-i-difficulty

I encourage you to continue to study and learn all of the agile principles and practices across all frameworks/processes.  The more you know, the better you will be able to help teams.  And just as that certification proves, the Scrum framework can easily incorporate other agile practices as they all provide benefits and are often better when combined with others.

Good luck on your journey.

12:11 am July 19, 2020

I passed PSK 1 certification today. I have also cleared PSM1, PSPO1 and SPS certifications. But I must say that this certification was the hardest one to pass. 

06:35 pm August 4, 2020

Hello

I don't have the PSK certification but I have 2 certifications for Kanban (leankanban)

I would say that I prefer to have a certification from the creator of Kanban than principles for scrum only. I think it's a more complete approach

That's my opinion!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.