Skip to main content

Agile Leadership Assessment - Question about Sprint Goal

Last post 10:27 pm January 15, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
12:54 am January 15, 2019

I want to ask about a question in the Agile Leadership Assessment.

The question states "Consistent achievement of Sprint Goals is a good indication that a Scum Team is performing well".  Apparently the answer is True.

What is the Sprint Goal is crafted poorly or is too simple.  Doesn't the calibre of the Sprint Goal play into this question?  Or am I reading too much into it?

Thoughts?

12:56 am January 15, 2019

Sorry I meant to say "What if"...not "What is"

06:33 pm January 15, 2019

A few quotes from Scrum Guide to help support my answer.

Each Sprint has a goal of what is to be built, a design and flexible plan that will guide building it, the work, and the resultant product increment.

The Product Owner discusses the objective that the Sprint should achieve and the Product Backlog items that, if completed in the Sprint, would achieve the Sprint Goal. 

During Sprint Planning the Scrum Team also crafts a Sprint Goal. The Sprint Goal is an objective that will be met within the Sprint through the implementation of the Product Backlog, and it provides guidance to the Development Team on why it is building the Increment.

The Sprint Goal is an objective set for the Sprint that can be met through the implementation of Product Backlog. It provides guidance to the Development Team on why it is building the Increment.

The selected Product Backlog items deliver one coherent function, which can be the Sprint Goal.

The Sprint Backlog makes visible all the work that the Development Team identifies as necessary to meet the Sprint Goal.

I chose those because they all lead to a common theme.  The Goal is agreed upon by the entire Scrum Team. It guides the work that is done in each sprint towards delivering a potentially releasable increment. The increment is determined to provide value for the stakeholders.  Delivery of value on incremental basis is a goal of Scrum.  

The question states "Consistent achievement of Sprint Goals is a good indication that a Scum Team is performing well".  Apparently the answer is True.

Why wouldn't this be True?  

10:27 pm January 15, 2019

Doesn't the calibre of the Sprint Goal play into this question?

Yes, hence the consistent achievement of Sprint Goals is a good indication that a Scum Team is performing well. It does not constitute proof, which is better evidenced by the consistent delivery of value.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.