Skip to main content

What is the difference CSM and PSM

Last post 10:10 am January 29, 2019 by Eugene M
3 replies
05:12 am January 25, 2019

Hello everyone,

Can someone please explain to me the difference between CSM and PSM in terms of the certification.  My exam as a CSM is next week.  Also would you advice that I take both exams if so which of the exams is more difficult.  Thank you.

01:29 am January 26, 2019

Both the PSM I and CSM are first level certifications.  Up until recently it was almost impossible to fail the CSM, but they have made some changes to the exam.  The PSM is still preferred by serious Scrum practitioners, and is more respected and credible.  As someone who interviews a lot of Scrum Masters at a Fortune 75, I am always more impressed by candidates with a PSM.  You can always try the Scrum open test here on the site for free to get an idea for the PSM.

Here are some differences:

• PSM is from the Scrum.org, and CSM is from Scrum Alliance
  • PSM is yours for life, there is never a renewal fee.  CSM has a renewal fee every 2 years ($100).
  • The PSM is more difficult. 
  • PSM passing grade is 85%.  CSM passing grade is 74%.
  • Time limit for both is 60 minutes.
  • PSM has 80 multiple choice and True/False Questions.  CSM has 50 multiple choice questions.
  • PSM does not require a course.  CSM does require the course.

Hope this helps.  Good luck with your testing.

02:56 am January 26, 2019

Thanks Chris for your timely response.  Would taking both exams be necessary and will it help my resume?

10:10 am January 29, 2019

No, I don't think it's necessary (IMO). The money you'd spend on a CSM course would be better used on a PSM 2 course, followed by a PSM 2 exam.

At the end of the day, it's all about what you want really.

• Are you interested in expanding your knowledge? Go for PSM 1, a possible PSM 2 course, and PSM 2 exam
  • Are you interested in displaying as many certifications as possible on your resume? Go for PSM 1 and CSM

Note however that theoretical knowledge is not enough, and if you don't have any real experience right now, you'll have a rather tought time finding an entry level SM position, regardless of the number of certifications you may hold. It is therefore in your best interest to study hard and advance your knowledge (PSM 1, then PSM 2) rather than collect certifications just for the sake of having it displayed on your resume. At least that's how I see it

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.