Skip to main content

Definition of "DONE" when having multiple scrum teams working on the same product

Last post 10:43 pm February 11, 2019 by Daniel Wilhite
6 replies
05:31 am February 8, 2019

Hi Experts, 

I tried to test my knowledge from simulator from some provider (name should not be disclosed). There is some doubt from that. The question is "there can be multiple Definitions of Done when multiple teams are working on the same product", is that True / False. 

As per SCRUM guide said "If there are multiple Scrum Teams working on the system or product release, the Development Teams on all the Scrum Teams must mutually define the definition of “Done.”" - page#18. Hence, my answer was "False" but, it was wrong

The explanation is that, "they can have different Definitions of Done as long as they are compatible with each other and capable of creating integrated increments. Note: it may seem that the SCRUM guide says there's only one DoD for multiple teams, but this is not the case. Having this flexibility can help, because, for example, one team may want to have extra tests. There's no harm in that, and yet, it impacts there DoD".

Of course, i personally agreed with the an example in explanation on having extra test but doubt, conceptually/principally, what the answer would be to get a marked in an exam?

Cheers,

AL

07:24 pm February 8, 2019

conceptually/principally, what the answer would be to get a marked in an exam?

Conceptually and in principle, do you think a Definition of Done ought to apply to a team or to a product?

05:20 am February 10, 2019

Which consequences are imagineable if the teams working on one product have a different Definition of Done?

01:40 pm February 10, 2019

The Scrum Teams must mutually define the definition of “Done.”

So the outcome must be a shared DOD for all teams in order to release compatible increments.

But... Teams are self organising and the maturity levels of teams can differ, etc...

So I can imagine that in order to deliver an increment that lives up to the mutual agreed DOD, some teams add extra's on top of the shared DOD.

03:19 am February 11, 2019

Thanks for the comments, however, pointing to the question, can multiple teams have mutple DoD? 

"there can be multiple Definitions of Done when multiple teams are working on the same product"

With regard to DoD, my understanding is No, as all must be the same definition but of course, they may put extra work on top of agreed DoD.  Is it right? 

09:45 pm February 11, 2019

It's always good to challenge the assertions made by third-party practice examinations.

If in doubt, I would consider the Scrum Guide a more reliable source than such exams.

There's plenty of advice out there about how Scrum should be implemented, but if something directly contradicts the Scrum Guide, then I would say that it is not Scrum.

10:43 pm February 11, 2019

I'm going to put a link to another, much older and somehow resurrected, forum post on the same topic of multiple teams definitions of done.   https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/7461/multiple-teams-definition-…;  There are some really good commentaries and examples in that thread that I think would benefit you.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.