Skip to main content

do we gather ALL requirements at the project start?

Last post 04:55 pm February 21, 2019 by Al Suabiee
14 replies
09:12 am February 20, 2019

Hi Dears

What I understood from SCRUM is that we will gather ALL the product HIGH-LEVEL requirements in form of Features arranged within Themes

Then in stage 3(Release planning), we decompose ALL the features in form of user stories & epic User stories...

BUT, do we make all the plans of ALL the product’s releases during stage3? Or just the highest feature ONE, and after developing that release we plan the next highest one?

If we make all the plans of ALL the product’s releases during stage3 , then DO WE make ALL sprint planning for ALL product’s sprints?

Finally, in scrum, do we gather ALL the requirements at the project start, and then the releasing includes only the development?

09:16 am February 20, 2019

How certain are you that a planning like this will stay the same across time?

10:01 am February 20, 2019

What I understood from SCRUM is that we will gather ALL the product HIGH-LEVEL requirements in form of Features arranged within Themes

Then in stage 3(Release planning), we decompose ALL the features in form of user stories & epic User stories...

Where did you gain this understanding from? What are you using as your reference?

04:37 pm February 20, 2019

Hi Sander Dur & Ian Mitchell

Excuse me, I’ll clarify me question:

Suppose that we have a product roadmap that has the following:

Features F1, F2, and F3 that are under Theme TH1

Features F4, F5, and F6 that are under Theme TH2

Features F7, F8, and F9 that are under Theme TH3

Ok?

Now when come to stage3, we are to make the release plan & sprint plan.

Should we plan all the releases one by one before developing them as S.W.? Or we plan R1 then plan the sprints, then develop.. Till it became ready for the market?

Also, I think Release can ONLY have Features from the same theme, is it right?

06:05 pm February 20, 2019

I just did a search of the Scrum Guide (https://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html) for the word "stage".  It appears exactly ZERO times.  So, as @Ian asked, where are you getting this information because it isn't Scrum.  I am not even familiar with that approach in any of the scaled versions of Scrum (SAFe, LeSS, Nexus).  If you want to understand Scrum, go to the guide. 

06:15 pm February 20, 2019

That's what I understood from the book of "Agile Project Management for Dummies"

2nd Edition

and the author mentioned at the start of the book that he will use SCRUM, so that I said SCRUM in my question

07:48 pm February 20, 2019

Got it.  One thing to point out is that "Agile Project Management" is what I would consider an oxymoron. But I won't go into that right now.

I admit that I started looking at the book once while I was in a bookstore waiting on my son to find a book he needed for school.  I read about 10 pages and put it back on the shelf. It did not take me long to realize that he was very loosely referencing Scrum. 

My advice is that you go the the Scrum Guide (https://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html), read it multiple times.  Each time you will uncover something that you missed the first time. Go to the sections of this site that provide reference material for the PSM certifications.  Read that material.  Go to www.scrumalliance.org and read some of their reference material.  Those three sites will provide the best insights into the what/how of Scrum since they are owned/maintained by the founders of Scrum. 

07:52 pm February 20, 2019

So, considering that the guide dosn't speak about acceptance criteria, is correct to say that the PO must not define and specify the acceptance criteria?

If a Product Owner defined acceptance criteria, do you think it would actually contradict the Scrum Guide and make an implementation of the Scrum Framework invalid? If so, why?

07:57 pm February 20, 2019

Apologies, I mis-posted the above which was intended for another thread.

03:25 am February 21, 2019

Daniel Wilhite

Many thanks for your answer and advices

best wishes

10:49 am February 21, 2019

Ok

Now the the old book consumed my time and confused me

I want to buy the following book from amazone: IS IT GOOD TO START FROM IT?

Nexus Framework for Scaling Scrum, The: Continuously Delivering an Integrated Product with Multiple Scrum Teams 1st Edition

11:13 am February 21, 2019

May I suggest you don't buy it - yet? Evidence (your posts on the forum) would suggest your Scrum understanding can be improved, so I'd recommend you put efforts towards expanding your knowledge. Then perhaps follow up with the PSM I certification?

In the absence of (solid, I'd argue) Scrum experience, I'm of opinion one can't really build towards Nexus.

03:56 pm February 21, 2019

I'm with @Eugene.  Nexus requires solid understanding of Scrum because it is based entirely on Scrum.  Take the time to learn Scrum as I suggested then, and only then, start looking at scaled versions. 

I will even go as far as to say that you would benefit from learning other Agile practices before looking at any of the scaling frameworks.  The more you know and understand about basic Agile and Scrum, the easier it will be for you to fully understand the scaled versions.

04:21 pm February 21, 2019

Rippleman,

To put the above thread into an analogy, you started by saying that you wanted to learn running, so you began by asking how to do so while underwater.   When others pointed out that you may not understand what running actually is, you then asked about running a half-marathon.

Please take the advice given and learn what running is before trying to run.   Read the Scrum Guide.   Take the assessment quizzes.   Look up the recommended Scrum reading from this web site.

Good luck.

04:55 pm February 21, 2019

Many thanks for your replies and your advices...

I'll print the guide and read it as much as I can till I understand it

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.