Skip to main content

How to measure outcome produced by scrum teams in empirical environment?

Last post 08:38 pm March 11, 2019 by Ian Mitchell
6 replies
10:31 am March 10, 2019

Hi Practitioners,

I am interested in knowing recommendations on practices to inspect and adapt the outcome produced by scrum team members to serve as information radars for the leadership team to help them further towards improving value delivery while using Scrum Framework and also how to reward the team members in the empirical environment.

Thanks,

Umar

12:32 pm March 11, 2019

I think it would be valuable to measure based on what is important for your team to develop on and what the company values. For instance, if the company values speed it would be interesting to see the time from a story's birth untill it is actually usable in production. If a team would like to work together more, it would be interesting to measure how they work together somehow. So it all depends on the goal you would like to achieve.

12:47 pm March 11, 2019

I have been learning now a days that the inspection and adaption, if it is restricted and left towards end of sprint for Sprint Review it is being called LATE. Inspection and Adaption is a continuous process as long as it does not come in as an overhead for development team. 

Leadership team are key stakeholders, I always challenge and question myself about "should they see a static information or should they work as closely as possible and make decisions" and I incline to show working peace. This way not only your dev team is moving towards Agility.... you take leadership team along.

As we say a highly matured team take accountability for any failure instead pointing figures, Great scrum master should enable team members to recognize among themselves high performer and find who made difference...

this are just my thoughts, happy to learn from other innovative thoughts...

02:34 pm March 11, 2019

Have you seen the key value areas and measures described in the Scrum.org EBM Guide? Might they be useful?

03:31 pm March 11, 2019

I'm going to do this and I really hope that @Ian doesn't get upset.  I was looking for the EBM guide he mentioned and found this recent blog post by him.  IT IS FANTASTIC!!! And it is really relevant to the question asked above. I am sending it out to all of the management and Scrum practitioners at my current company.  I'm also going to get it into the hands of my outside contacts. 

@Ian, thank you for posting this!!!

https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/becoming-agile-evidence-based-mana…

06:40 pm March 11, 2019

Hello Ian,

Yes, I have gone through the EBM framework recommended by you but I am curious to understand how to begin with EBM framework using the measures associated with the Key Values visualized as radar chart in your blog with axis measures 0,5,10 if possible can you share some more information on the same.

Thanks,

Umar

08:38 pm March 11, 2019

Some measures (e.g. cycle time) can be obtained via tools or worked out arithmetically, while others (e.g. employee satisfaction) may require focus sessions or surveys.

You could start with an axis calibrated from 0% to 100%, with an initial baseline of 50% for each measure. Then you might assess the percentage change of each one at every inspection. If the result is too fine grained you could perhaps recalibrate to some other scale, as in the illustration.

Metrics can be gathered per product or service being worked on. For a portfolio or enterprise performance indicator, the data may be aggregated up.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.