Skip to main content

How to Get CSM?

Last post 04:46 pm May 11, 2019 by Jason Jafarian
8 replies
04:46 pm May 7, 2019

Getting my PMP soon(hopefully) I'm also taking an IT PM course at a college every Saturday for a period of 6 months. My work is project driven from server implementations to software development( I have basic language skills in Python and Bash from my Linux background. 

I need to really drill down on Agile methodologies and I think Scrum would really be beneficial so I'm thinking of getting CSM certification.   How do you go about getting certified for CSM?   Can it be online or is it in class only? Where do you take the exam?   What's the difference between Scrum Alliance and scrum.org?

Thanks

M

09:19 am May 8, 2019

I would encourage you to research more, way more. Deciding what certificate(s) to get should be an informed decision that you would only reach based on your own analysis following extensive scrutiny.

Getting my PMP soon(hopefully) I'm also taking an IT PM course at a college every Saturday for a period of 6 months.

What purpose(s) does this PM course serve, especially in light of the below? And why do you seek a Scrum Master certification (CSM) next to a PM course?

My work is project driven from server implementations to software development( I have basic language skills in Python and Bash from my Linux background. 

Perhaps get as much experience in your field rather than dedicate time, energy and resources into certifications?

I need to really drill down on Agile methodologies and I think Scrum would really be beneficial so I'm thinking of getting CSM certification.   How do you go about getting certified for CSM?   Can it be online or is it in class only? Where do you take the exam?   What's the difference between Scrum Alliance and scrum.org?

Why do you believe you need to "drill down on Agile methodologies"? Note Scrum is a framework, not a methodology, and here's the official guide.

Unlike CSM (requires a mandatory class + basic exam), scrum.org's PSM doesn't require mandatory participation in a class and its exam (PSM 1) is considerably harder.

So... research and decide.

05:12 pm May 8, 2019

I'm going to use the old "I mean no offense but" approach on my answer.

@Eugene said you really need to do a lot more research into what you are talking about. My initial reaction to your post was "wonder what he saw on Facebook to make him think about this?". Your questions doesn't imply you have an understanding of any of it. 

Here are some things I suggest you research and familiarize yourself with.

• Learn the difference between a framework and a process
  • Learn how to do project management (which you should be getting from your PMP). 
  • Learn what iterative software development means and how it is beneficial.
  • Learn some history of how the Agile Software Development evolution occurred.
  • Learn about how Scrum, Kanban, eXtreme Programming, Lean have been used in software development. It might also be useful to understand how Kanban and Lean originally came to be in the manufacturing world.

After you have done some study on those things, you should be able to arrive at your own answers to your questions.  As a Scrum Master I am going to quote a t-shirt that my kids bought me.  "I can explain it to you but I can understand it for you."   

And one parting thought.  Just getting a certification does not actually prove that you know the subject matter.  As an example I'm going to use a somewhat related example. When I was in college I took 3 different accounting courses, 2 marketing courses and a business law course.  I willing admit that if I were asked to do any of that work the results would be disastrous to anyone dependent on my work. Experience is much more beneficial than a certification.  And yes, I hold many of them but as I said in this thread (https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/29903/why-agile-community-so-hung-certifications) I pursued them for my own self edification.

05:53 pm May 9, 2019

Thanks for the replies. I agree experience over certs for sure.  I'm 20 years into IT from systems design, hardware, software, asset management and so much more.  I just did an assessment test and go %60 on first try.  Not bad for a first time.  That's all the knowledge I've accumulated over the years on agile and scrum I guess.  Also Agile is part of PMI PMBOK 6 edition so no matter what, if you do your PMP you have to learn agile.  

06:24 pm May 9, 2019

no matter what, if you do your PMP you have to learn agile

I don't intend to be contrarian, but I personally don't equate PMI as an advocate of Agile.   In my opinion, they view "agile" (small "a" intended) as a prescriptive methodology that fits into their long-standing business model (ex: PMP).   

I would personally be very interested in learning what PMI-ACP certification holders view Agile as.

06:40 pm May 9, 2019

Scrum guide is 19 pages?   PMBOK 6 edition is close to 900 pages with the Agile practice guide.   200 questions 3 hours proctored exam locked in a room with one way mirror, a built-in software calculator, 2 sheets of paper 1 pen and they keep the sheets of paper when you leave the room.   Some test centers actually have small white boards now.  

10:01 am May 10, 2019

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - attributed to Leonardo da Vinci. 

Would you rather use a browser that is fluid, fast and secure, or the exact opposite one? 

Why over-complicate things when you can have it simple?

06:23 pm May 10, 2019

I will add the browser is a small part of the internet.

The browser being______? 

The internet being ______?

Scrum is a tool in a toolbox and when that tool is needed to accomplish a task, well you use that tool!

04:46 pm May 11, 2019

I don't intend to be contrarian, but I personally don't equate PMI as an advocate of Agile.   In my opinion, they view "agile" (small "a" intended) as a prescriptive methodology that fits into their long-standing business model (ex: PMP).   

I would personally be very interested in learning what PMI-ACP certification holders view Agile as.

I'm a PMI-ACP holder.  PMI's approach to the PMI-ACP was solid.  This cert focused on the specifics of the tools and techniques rather than a "prescriptive methodology."  Many of the questions felt like they could apply to a variety of project environments.  I think this cert shows that they understand what agile is and how it should be used.

However, I don't like that they added agile to the PMP.  The way it's introduced feels like they're trying to make the certification more relevant to current industry trends, instead of focusing on what the PMBOK process is and isn't.

PMI's stance on agile would be clearer if they would stop trying to make the PMP a one-size-fits-all certification.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.