Skip to main content

Clarification on responsibilities of Product Owner and Scrum Master

Last post 04:49 am May 19, 2019 by Mein Sin Tan
3 replies
04:08 pm May 15, 2019

Hello,

I am attending a Prince2 Agile training in Germany and the Scrum Guide is one of the topic. The trainer has insisted on the following, which I totally disagree.

1. Product Owner - Formuliert das Sprint Ziel (formulates the sprint goal)

To my understanding from the Scrum Guide and as a PSM, the Scrum Team crafts the Sprint goal during Sprint Planning. However, his argument is that Product Owner formulates it according to the priorities of the Product Backlog Items. 

2. Scrum Master - Optimiert den Wert der Arbeit des Entwicklungsteam. (Optimizes the value of the work of the development team)

My understanding and argument is that this is done by the Product Owner, NOT Scrum Master. I have found the following statement under Product Owner in the Scrum Guide: 

• Optimizing the value of the work the Development Team performs

Am I mistaken from my learning and understanding of the Scrum Guide ?

Does Scrum.org actual validate the knowledge of these training centres in Germany ?

Best regards,

Mein Sin Tan

06:37 pm May 15, 2019

1. Product Owner - Formuliert das Sprint Ziel (formulates the sprint goal)

You are correct in your interpretation of the Scrum Guide.  But remember that the Product Owner is part of the Scrum Team and is responsible for the contents/definition of the Product Backlog.  As such their contribution to the Sprint Goal would focus on the value of the items chosen from the Product Backlog.  The Development Team creates the Sprint Backlog by selecting items from the Product Backlog but no one can tell them how to work. The Sprint Goal should be focused on the Sprint Backlog, not the Product Backlog so their explanation is flawed in my opinion.

2. Scrum Master - Optimiert den Wert der Arbeit des Entwicklungsteam. (Optimizes the value of the work of the development team)

Again, your interpretation of the Scrum Guide is correct.  Again, I will add that according to the Scrum Guide, the Scrum Master provides these services to the Development Team:

• Coaching the Development Team in self-organization and cross-functionality;
  • Helping the Development Team to create high-value products;

So the Scrum Master does play a part in the value of work the Development Team does but ultimately it is up to the Product Owner to ensure the items the Development Team work on optimizes the value to the stakeholders.

I applaud your interpretation of the Scrum Guide. 

04:13 am May 16, 2019

the Scrum Guide is one of the topic

Is the Scrum Guide actually being read?

04:49 am May 19, 2019

@Daniel, thank you for the clarification. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.