Skip to main content

who tracks the total work remaining to achive sprint goal ? dev team or PO

Last post 03:33 pm April 18, 2022 by Daniel Wilhite
7 replies
07:22 am May 19, 2019

Who is responsible for tracking the total work remaining in the Sprint Backlog to project the likelihood of achieving the Sprint Goal?

04:29 am May 20, 2019

Perhaps, in a self-organizing team, it could be the first team member who notices that the projection needs updating. Then again, they might decide on some other arrangement. There’s little advantage in constraining a team’s options.

07:33 am May 20, 2019

Who is responsible for achieving the Sprint Goal? Is that either the PO, dev team, SM or the entire Scrum Team?

11:48 am May 20, 2019

According to the Scrum Guide, "The Development Team tracks this total work remaining at least for every Daily Scrum to project the likelihood of achieving the Sprint Goal".

08:09 am June 21, 2019

The sprint goal tracking is by Dev team , while the goal at the product level will be tracked by the PO during sprint review. Chek Scrum guide for the below two topics .

Monitoring Progress Toward Goals

Monitoring Sprint Progress

06:36 pm October 30, 2019

I agree, with the statement quoted by Vishwanathan,

"The sprint goal tracking is by Development team , while the goal at the product level will be tracked by the PO during sprint review."

Cheers

10:39 pm April 16, 2022

What if the question was not only about tracking (administration), but also about taking action when the projection indicates the Sprint Goal will not be met? 

What if the Developers do not react in a case the Sprint is most likely to fail? 

03:33 pm April 18, 2022

It is still the Developers responsibility to manage the work contained in the Sprint Backlog. 

What if the Developers do not react in a case the Sprint is most likely to fail? 

I don't understand what you mean by fail.  My feelings are that the only failure is when you do not learn. So if Developers were not able to reach the Sprint Goal, I would see that as a failure if there was no discussion on why it occurred and nothing learned to prevent from happening in the future.  

I will also add that in my experience, the few times that the Sprint Goal was missed it was still possible to realize a workable increment of value. It might be less value than originally targeted but it was still valuable and delivered progress.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.