Skip to main content

Best Self Study for PSM II Certification.

Last post 09:47 pm June 5, 2019 by Daniel Wilhite
1 reply
08:37 pm June 5, 2019

I recently got my PSM I certification and now I want to get my PSM II and II eventually. I can't afford the classes so what books would be good for reading to help study for those tests?

09:47 pm June 5, 2019

To prepare for the PSM II I followed the recommendations on the PSM II description page (https://www.scrum.org/professional-scrum-master-ii-certification). That was enough material for me to me validate my understandings. I have not attended the classes for any of the certifications I have obtained from scrum.org. I found that the PSM II exam was less about "do you know" and more about "can you apply". You will find a lot of information and perspectives on the internet and in books.  None of them are definitive.  If you take the exam and do not get a passing score you should inspect your interpretations, re-read material you previously read and look at things from a different point of view. The exam's answers are based upon the intention of the question's subject matter and less about the actual descriptions. 

I will admit to having to take the PSM II test more than once before I could pass. The non-passing attempts helped me because it pointed out that I needed to inspect my understandings and adapt them to be more in line with the Scrum Guide's intentions. I haven't attempted the PSM III certification because honestly I don't feel like I have the necessary knowledge or real life exposure to be able to obtain it.  Plus I really don't want to get the certification unless I truly understand the material.  Just having a certification doesn't mean you are capable of doing the work. I use the certifications as a method of validating to myself that I am ready to take on the "next level". 

Good luck.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.