Skip to main content

Scrum Master II preparation - kind request to comment two questions.

Last post 06:24 pm November 29, 2023 by abshire gabrielle
5 replies
10:19 am June 17, 2019

Hi there,

I'm preparing to SM II certificate.

I came by two questions, that raise my doubts. I would be very grateful, if you could help me with these and explain the proper way of thinking.

questions

In the second one I assume, the last answer is correct.

- As much as PO and dev team require, although Scrum guide suggest to make it up to 10% (it is not obligatory).

What about the first one?

08:07 am June 18, 2019

My guess is on "introduce the tools from the rest of the organisation". Introducing devs to a tool will not harm anyone, but will provide them info about possible step to solve the impediment at hand.

11:15 am June 18, 2019

OK, the first question, your question itself is missing, so hard to answer...

Probably the question was along the line of "team members are not colocated and work remote, and a proper way of communication has to be established"

The first option is correct, it will make use of the self-organizing capabilities of the team.

The last option is NOT correct, because waiting is not coaching, and waiting might be indefinitely. So with the last options, this issue might never be resolved and action might never been taken.

The second option is not correct, because there are possibilities for the team to explore, so it is no impediment yet.

The third option sounds logical, because you will make maximum use of empiric evidence (things that have proven trackrecord) and you are not forcing it onto the team, they still can decide themselves what to do with your information.

So option 1 and 3 sounds perfect to me.

For your second question. please check yourself if you can find the answer in the Scrum Guide on this question: Where does the Scrum Guide state that no more than 10% of the Development Team capacity can be used for refinement?

(please quote the answer)

10:23 am June 24, 2019

Hi @Xander I came across these questions too as I am also preparing for my PSM II exam. The "10%" figure was indeed mentioned in the scrum guide https://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html

Refinement usually consumes no more than 10% of the capacity of the Development Team. However, Product Backlog items can be updated at any time by the Product Owner or at the Product Owner’s discretion.

I personally think the correct answer is the 4th one. As Scrum never wants to force rules such as this. Or at least it used the term "usually". :)

Thoughts?

01:32 pm June 24, 2019

Indeed, the usual has no hard rule in it. It's just from field experience. This doesn't limit more or less time being used, only maybe a general guideline that you can use as a reference. But this differs per team. Maybe the information provided leaves just enough space to form PBIs quickly and advance to development quickly. Maybe information is still vague and needs to be collected. These 2 situations differ vastly and may take different amounts of time. As long as the PO and Dev Team agree that there are sufficient "ready" items (being considerend about "ready" not becoming a stage gate).

02:03 am November 29, 2023

Hi @Xander I came across these questions too as I am also preparing for my PSM II exam. The "10%" figure was indeed mentioned in the scrum guide https://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html  

I personally think the correct answer is the 4th one. As Scrum never wants to force rules such as this. Or at least it used the term "usually". :)

To be sure, there is no hard rule in the normal. That's all it is: based on real-world experience. Time is not restricted in any way by this; it is merely a basic guideline that you can utilize. Nevertheless, every squad is different in this regard. Maybe there's just enough room to build PBIs and go to development with the data that's been shown. Perhaps further information is required to clarify the situation. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.