Skip to main content

Retro without Scrum Master

Last post 08:35 pm October 15, 2019 by Héctor Horacio Jure
9 replies
09:19 am September 26, 2019

Hi everyone, 

I am part of a Scrum Team. We are going to move to another buero and therefore we will loose our Scrum Master.

Do you have any ideas or experiences on how to organize a proper Retro without having a Scrum Master?

We thought about rotating the role of the Scrum Master through the team for every Retro.

Also we had the idea of adding the Scrum Master over a video call.

But none of our ideas seem to be really great.

So I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance :)

02:06 pm September 26, 2019

In reality, you can have a retro without the SM facilitating. Go to funretrospectives.com and find a few things to do. 

I like doing a 1 word check in, The 3 L's, Candy Love, 1 word check out. All of these are the website I mentioned and go into detail how they work and all of these are very easily done as a group. Most important: Make sure you put together a couple of action items to be implemented in the next spring. Otherwise, your retro is not a retro. 

02:13 pm September 26, 2019

If the team understands the Scrum Retrospective well enough to rotate facilitators that can be a good option. I'd recommend coaching the team on a few key facilitation practices especially as it relates to remaining neutral or announcing when they may be going from facilitator to participant during the retrospective. 

If the team is interested then challenging them to find creative and fun ways to self facilitate their retrospectives could be a great team growth opportunity. As Curtis mentioned, there's a lot of great documentation and sites out there that can help with that. 

02:42 pm September 26, 2019

I am part of a Scrum Team. We are going to move to another buero and therefore we will loose our Scrum Master.

Do you have any ideas or experiences on how to organize a proper Retro without having a Scrum Master?

Given that you will be losing your Scrum Master, why is the organization of a Sprint Retrospective your principal concern?

02:56 pm September 26, 2019

Our Scrum Master didn´t have enough time to support us in all our meetings. 

Therefore the Retro was our most important meeting, we always had a Scrum Master. 

It was very helpful to have an objective person in the meeting, someone to moderate the meetings, mediate between opinions, and keep track of time.

The website is a good idea. Thanks.

I think we will try what Tony said and announce, when the person is going from facilitator to participant.

Thanks a lot :)

11:39 am September 27, 2019

Our Scrum Master didn´t have enough time to support us in all our meetings. 

That should be on top of your retro list to solve! Was this raised as an impediment by the team?

Was this raised to higher management to solve?

Different question: if he/she does not have time for retro, what time does he/she have and where was it spend on?

05:05 pm September 27, 2019

Many of my teams have had all of the Sprint Events without me being present.  In fact, I intentionally cause situations where I can't be present.  This helps the team realize that they can self-organize and self-manage without me being there to do it. But I am always actively involved with the teams every day. And in every case where I was "not able to attend" I would follow up with the team to determine how they felt it went. The site that @Curtis Slough suggested is a great place to start and there are others as well.  Using your favorite internet search engine search for "scrum retrospective ideas".  There are many ideas duplicated across those sites but there are also unique ones on many sites. 

We are going to move to another buero and therefore we will loose our Scrum Master.

Does this mean that you will not have a Scrum Master at all? No one that will ever be able to focus solely on the role and responsibilities of the Scrum Master? Does the team have any concerns about this?

05:31 am October 10, 2019

I do not understand the phrase "support you in all your meetings", what do you mean by "Support" in that sentence?

03:35 pm October 10, 2019

+1 Daniel

08:01 pm October 15, 2019

Hi Jana,

It's really one of the goals for a SM that the teams have the ability to run some ceremonies by themselves in a self-organize manner, but she/he must be actively coaching and being aware that scrum had been implemented professionally.

But the Retro is for Scrum Team, and the SM is part of the Scrum Team, she/he could ease or not the ceremony, but he must be there as a peer because part of the things that will be inspected is the process and scrum implementation besides impediments.

So in other words, it is important to address the matter of not having a SM with enough time to perform as such in the scrum team, otherwise you're not doing scrum as it is.

I've just compiled different practices and techniques that I've been using with the teams. I hope this would be helpful for you:

https://medium.com/@hectorhjure/scrum-toolkit-retrospective-1a8d7334d97a

Good luck!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.