Skip to main content

Small celebrations

Last post 11:05 pm October 4, 2019 by Steve Matthew
5 replies
12:04 pm October 4, 2019

Hey everyone!

I am trying to think of an idea for a team to "celebrate" when cards get moved to DONE on our board. I have one team that uses the "pop-it snappers" that they throw at a board every time the complete a card. However, I have another team that is trying to find some little fun way to celebrate when they complete things. Something that is quick but fun. Anyone else have any teams that do anything like that?

Thanks!

- Alex

04:37 pm October 4, 2019

Hey Alex, 

We have a few teams in our Agile Room and we drew a "Story Jar" on the Whiteboard. Every time a team finishes a story you write it on a post-it, ring the cowbell, put the post-it in the "jar" and we have a saying we yell out. 

There's almost thirty of us in a room and it can get pretty noisy but everyone loves it. 

Good luck!

05:21 pm October 4, 2019

Why not celebrate your successes in each Sprint Review, when stakeholders can be invited to participate as well? They should also be allowed to celebrate the valuable increment which has just been delivered.

05:45 pm October 4, 2019

Is there anything particularly motivating for the team? They could do a 'punch card' for every 'x' Sprint Goals achieved they get pizza, breakfast, or something? 

They could also tie celebrations to certain quality goals or retro items they set for themselves. 

I also agree with Ian that it's important to celebrate the 'Done' work in the Sprint Review. Sometimes the focus can be overwhelmingly on the 'undone' work instead of successes. 

10:32 pm October 4, 2019

I tend to agree with Ian that the Sprint Review is a good opportunity for the team to celebrate their accomplishments over the course of the Sprint. However, I'd add that the Sprint Retrospective may also be a good place to celebrate some other wins that may not be of interest to the external stakeholders of the team. I think that celebrating the accomplishments here is simply less disruptive and more consistent with the ideas of the Sprint Goal and team commitments.

11:05 pm October 4, 2019

Just my opinion, as much as I encourage celebrating victories, I also am not a huge fan of too much fanfare. It’s perhaps my personality but I think it sometimes takes the seriousness away from things. Perhaps a bi-weekly gathering to celebrate talent and hard work is definitely okay with me, but not everyday. It tends to become common place.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.