Skip to main content

Must a ScrumMaster always attend the Standup?

Last post 03:42 pm February 24, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
12 replies
02:00 pm February 18, 2020

Hi,

Does the ScrumMaster always have to attend the Standup except for exceptional circumstances?

I didn't think so, I thought that when the team becomes self-organziing that the ScrumMaster is no longer required but should attend where possible so as to keep in sync with the team.

02:24 pm February 18, 2020

The Scrum Master ensures that the Development Team has the meeting, but the Development Team is responsible for conducting the Daily Scrum. The Scrum Master teaches the Development Team to keep the Daily Scrum within the 15-minute time-box. The Daily Scrum is an internal meeting for the Development Team. If others are present, the Scrum Master ensures that they do not disrupt the meeting.

What do you infer from the Guide ? Does SM at all needs to attend this event ? What contributions you think SM can make by participating in this event ?

03:10 pm February 18, 2020

Seems clear to me and as I remember. I was told differently today by manager.

03:11 pm February 18, 2020

Outside of the very relevant questions from @Harshal, small nuance; it is Daily Scrum. Yes, I know this sounds very much like nitpicking, but standup comes from XP and for instance SAFe mentions this very explicit, where the Scrum framework does not care if you do it standing up, laying down or hanging from the ceiling. Or maybe sitting. You know. For... practical reasons compared to hanging.

03:22 pm February 18, 2020

Scrum Guide does not say that the SM must attend.

I would infer that common sense comes into play and that once the SM is happy that the team are able to run and standup alone then the SM does not necessarily need to be there.

05:32 pm February 18, 2020

The Scrum Master has two clear responsibilities regarding the Daily Scrum, according to the Scrum Guide:

• Ensure that it takes place every day (and meets the event objectives)
  • Help the Development Team keep it within the 15-minute time box

That's it.   Anything in addition to the above two items is outside of Scrum.

06:18 pm February 18, 2020

I attend the Daily Scrum when a team is new or having troubles meeting their goals.  Other than that I never show up unless I am specifically asked to attend by the Development Team. I have always had my desk near the teams so I can from a distance see that it is occurring and being held to 15 minutes.  I can also see if there are people outside of the Development Team attending and run interference when needed.  I don't need to be at the gathering to do my service to the Development Team.  Plus I usually have involvement with more than 1 team and invariably they all want to have their Scrums at the same, first thing in the morning.  So it is physically impossible for me to attend.

11:32 am February 19, 2020

Seems clear to me and as I remember. I was told differently today by manager.

Assuming you are recognized as the Scrum Master, why does the manager believe he or she is in a position to tell you such things?

12:35 pm February 19, 2020

Manager is an Agile coach. I think it's actually more "would really like me to be at the standups in case the teams drift".

One of my teams is struggling to take ownership and I'm working with them to become self-organizing. 

Like Daniel above I have more than 1 team and the standups and plannings are in and around the same times each morning so it is a very difficult squeeze for me and I have obstacles to clear which take up alot of my day.

03:40 pm February 19, 2020

@Niall Fallon, focus on the team that needs you most.  If one team is struggling, attend their stand up but on a periodic basis.  Don't show up every day.  I find it easier to see negative/positive improvement by attending sporadically.  For example attend on Monday and listen to their conversation closely, maybe even take notes.  Then come back on Wednesday again listening closely.  If you hear them discussing the same items/issues then you have uncovered something on which to work with them.  After the Scrum is over, ask them to stay a few minutes and discuss why they are struggling to make progress and offer to help remove any impediments.  Make it clear to them why you ask because it could be that they aren't recognizing the position that they are in. 

When working with multiple teams, I will shift my attention from one team to another over time so that they all get my insights.  If a team is struggling, I will give them a bit more attention and let my other teams know that I will be less visible as I work through some changes with one team.  I fully believe that my job as Scrum Master is to be unneeded as much of the time as possible.  But all teams will need help at some point because you never know when something will impact their cohesion.  If your manager is an agile coach then they should be able to understand this logic.  If they can't then you have an opportunity to coach your coach. 

07:06 pm February 23, 2020

I have yet to come across a Scrum Team where a Scrum Master was not present at every single Scrum event and other team meetings. There is theory and then there is reality. Management will expect you (Scrum Master) to be visible and available.

10:59 pm February 23, 2020

I have not attended the standup on a number of occasions, and when I am not available - and then I check with them if there are any blockers. If yes, i speak to that 1 individual and find a way out.

Attending a daily scrum for SM is not mandatory.

03:42 pm February 24, 2020

@Mark Adams, I have actually gone multiple Sprints and not attended a single Scrum Event for some of my teams.  Scrum Masters aren't required to be at any of them. We are responsible for helping the team and organization understand the benefits and appreciate the events.  I have done that with teams and did not feel that I had to be there.  In fact some of my teams have asked if I would not attend so that they could see if they were capable of doing them on their own.  Self-managed, self-organizing, self-driven teams are what we as Scrum Masters try to foster.  If you are always there, is the rest of the team really self-aware enough to reach those goals?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.