Skip to main content

Release Manager role and what certification is best for this role

Last post 09:02 pm March 13, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
7 replies
02:03 am March 12, 2020

Can someone please assist me with what is the best training and certification  in the Agile Scrum world for Release Managers ?

07:10 am March 12, 2020

Are you applying safe? and do you have release train engineer?

07:14 am March 12, 2020

There is no such role in Scrum. In a "Scrum" world you could just as well replace "release manager" with "Dev team".

That said, https://www.scaledagileframework.com/release-train-engineer-and-solution-train-engineer/ might be something to look at. it also pretty much depends on the organization what they see as the proper skills and certification for release managers. i have seen it leaning heavily towards the project management side, but also towards system maintenance / integration (techincal) side.

So itn depends, there might not be a silver bullet here

08:15 am March 12, 2020

Can someone please assist me with what is the best training and certification  in the Agile Scrum world for Release Managers ?

From your reading of the Scrum Guide, who makes the decision whether or not to release an increment of usable functionality?

09:30 am March 12, 2020

Maybe try to turn it around; what would be a good role for someone with these skills?

02:18 am March 13, 2020

Thank you all for your input . My current company is following Scrum. There are not ready for SAFe I believe , as the scrum process is still immature. I am currently a Release Manager,  completed PSM 1 certification.  I am looking when good training or certification will suite and support the release roll in Scrum ?

02:19 am March 13, 2020

Thank you all for your input . My current company is following Scrum. There are not ready for SAFe I believe , as the scrum process is still immature. I am currently a Release Manager,  completed PSM 1 certification.  I am looking when good training or certification will suite and support the release roll in Scrum ?

09:02 pm March 13, 2020

From the Scrum Guide section that describes the Increment which in Scrum is what is released.  

The increment must be in useable condition regardless of whether the Product Owner decides to release it.

That is the closest you will come to a "release" role in Scrum.  But I also echo @Xander Ladage's comment that Development Team would be just as good of a replacement because they also play a large part in the decision making on release quality of the product. 

There is no Release Manager role in Scrum.  However in reality there are a lot of companies that will have the job position.  What I have seen most effective is that the Scrum Team makes a determination that the Increment is in the releasable state and deliver it to the Release Manager to coordinate all of the activities that your organization needs in order to do the actual release.  So your job is outside of the Scrum Framework but could very much be a part of your organization. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.