Skip to main content

Product Owner with Data analytics skills

Last post 05:26 pm April 10, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
12:33 pm April 10, 2020

Hi, 

I've got my PSPO I and am an asipiring PO. 

I'm currently (solo) learning some data science (Python Pandas) and I wonder if being a PO with some data analytics skills is a must, a plus or not necessary.

Please let me know in the comments. 

03:59 pm April 10, 2020

It depends on the context you would a PO in. it might be a plus, and it might not even be necessary, though it never hurts.

04:02 pm April 10, 2020

My opinion is that sometmes having a Product Owner with technical skills can be a hindrance.  A Product Owner's domain is the business/customer perspective.  Having too much technical knowledge can result in the Product Owner focusing on the technical solution instead of the business reasons. 

It can be useful to have the knowledge but it is in no way necessary. 

05:26 pm April 10, 2020

I wonder if being a PO with some data analytics skills is a must, a plus or not necessary.

Might data analytics help reveal what customers actually do, and evidence to a Product Owner the capabilities that prove most valuable?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.