Skip to main content

Product owner role - 2 activities part of the product owner role

Last post 03:15 pm April 14, 2020 by Patrick Vignal
3 replies
02:43 pm April 10, 2020

Hello, 

I have a debate about the product owner's role. An open assessment question says :

"ensuring that most valuable functionalities are produced first, at all time."

Although, I understand it is the product owner's role to set the priorities in the product backlog, it seems to me that it is down to the development team to pull the item, and to choose it for being part of a sprint.

I would have chosen "providing the development team with detailed specifications" to be more a product owner's responsibility, since it is clearly the product owner's role to make the items clear to the development team so they can choose it for being part of a sprint.

Considering the other responsibility of the product owner is interacting with stakeholders, what do you think ?

Best regard, Patrick

07:48 pm April 10, 2020

If the Product Owner is ensuring that the most valuable functionalities are produced first what would be a good technique for that?  Could it be that providing detailed specifications on the items that are the most valuable be a good practice?   

I think yYou are confusing a technique with a responsibility.  

09:56 pm April 10, 2020

it seems to me that it is down to the development team to pull the item, and to choose it for being part of a sprint.

How would a Sprint Goal then be framed and achieved?

I would have chosen "providing the development team with detailed specifications" to be more a product owner's responsibility

Shouldn't a Product Owner trust in the Development Team's creativity, and in their ability to handle emergence when developing a complex product?

03:15 pm April 14, 2020

Thank you guys for your support and clarifications,

This required a good deal of thinking, reading your comments over again and again and confronting them to the scrum guide as well as the open assessment questions.

If I understand your comments, a responsibility is :

" ensuring the most valuable functionality is developed first, at all times "

the technique is :

" providing the development team with detailed spécifications "

In what case, sure I was getting confused between responsibility and technique.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.