Skip to main content

Collective Ownership

Last post 07:16 am April 29, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
03:08 pm April 28, 2020

Hi all,

In a agile environment we always say encourage the dev teams for empiricism. As a scrum team ;we have DoD and in our sprint planning meeting PO gives sprint goal , dev team make a poker estimation as well. But for some people of the development team member who does not want to give commitment if s/he did not do such kind of user story before.

As a scrum master how can I encourage individuals? By the way I suggest pair programming can be a solution but he(is the person who doesn't want to try the unknown topic) do not want to try pair programming with others. I directly ask to him to check any problem with other development team members, he said everyone is ok, but he doesn't want to ask or work with others in a harmony. We see affects of ownership issue and we said in our retrospective as team, but no improvement for the commitment of unknown user stories. When that person does not commit, the remaining work becomes a bigger burden for other colleagues.

Thanks

03:35 pm April 28, 2020

in our sprint planning meeting PO gives sprint goal ,

Isn't the Sprint Goal something to be agreed between the PO and the rest of the team? They are the ones who'll commit to achieving it.

dev team make a poker estimation as well. But for some people of the development team member who does not want to give commitment if s/he did not do such kind of user story before.

Shouldn't estimation be done during Product Backlog refinement? Note that when refinement is done well, it reduces the chances of any nasty surprises during Sprint Planning, such as an unwillingness to commit to unfamiliar work.

04:28 pm April 28, 2020

Hi Ian,

Actually i write wrong. yes we made poker estimations in refinements and dev team states each single tasks&scenarios&use cases. But sometimes the individuals didn't use specific components of our product. So they can not find chance to learn technical details. My problem is about one person, of course po and dev team agrees, but the individual does not ask or say anything about unknown development of user story.

Thanks 

07:16 am April 29, 2020

Does that person recognize that his behaviors create a burden for the rest of the team, as you mention earlier?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.