Skip to main content

Should we use vídeo in our Daily meetings?

Last post 07:35 am April 30, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
01:29 am April 29, 2020

Due to COVID-19 outbreak, me and my development team (The PO who also codes and 3 devs), who used to work from Office, we are working remotely.

We started to make our dailies every day on Skype, but we never used vídeo. Right after the ritual, we spend some time Just talking, making some jokes. We beliege this is importante to face the isolation.

I was thinking some days ago to suggest using video in these dailys. But I couldn't find any guidance in the Internet if it's better in any sense than Just audio.

A good part of audio is that, when I am not interest in the topic, I can multitask. 

07:59 pm April 29, 2020

A good part of audio is that, when I am not interest in the topic, I can multitask.

@Astrid Peth, I think you've answered your own question in a way. Research has indicated that Face to Face interaction is the most effective and efficient form of communication because it involves both verbal and non-verbal cues. As you rightly said, when there is no video, you can multitask, which affects focus and also reduces the quality of the interaction (if that matters).

The use of video during your daily scrum,  in my opinion, is a good thing. It will help with better interaction, builds trust and a sense of togetherness.

11:57 pm April 29, 2020

Astrid - Step back for a moment and tell us what problem you are trying to solve, and what role you play on the Scrum Team?

If you are a Scrum Master and notice a problem in the Daily, might it be better to bring the observation to the Dev Team first, and ask for solutions? Might the Dev Team be more apt to buy into a solution they come up with, rather than it come from the Scrum Master?

07:35 am April 30, 2020

Right after the ritual, we spend some time Just talking, making some jokes. We beliege this is importante to face the isolation.

I was thinking some days ago to suggest using video in these dailys

Would it help to make your Daily Scrum less of a ritual and more of an event?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.