Skip to main content

Flow diagram

Last post 05:43 pm June 1, 2020 by Emerson Ramkaran
4 replies
07:15 pm May 30, 2020

Hi All,

I need to create a swimlane flow chart for my leadership wherein I need to show what is the business flow should be since PO puts the requirement set on the table. This is what I have so far. The reason why I need to create is to establish a flow/process that the teams need to adhere to in order to get estimations right on time.

My swim lane is vertically designed with 4 heads. Please note that I have a " development manager" vertical too who is part of my scrum team and has 4 other developers working under him. This is just the way it is. I know it is not falling under ideal scrum but that's how it works In my org.

PO        ( 1>2>3>4)                     

1) Gather inputs from end users/stakeholders

2) CReate PRD,if required

3) Update and priortize product backlog in JIRA with What, Why, Acceptance Criteria,etc

4) Prepare and Share agenda at least a day prior to backlog refinement process

SM

From PO 4) point, it will reach to scrum master vertical

1) Facilitate Meeting with POs and Development team

Development Team

From SM 1) point, it will reach to dev team vertical

1) Discuss the backlog items with PO and clarify questions from the team

2) Decision-making box: High-Level req. understood? if yes, go to next vertical mentioned below 1->2, else go to the same vertical and follow 3)

3) Brainstorm internally and ask PO for any clarification

Development Manager

From development team 2) point, it will reach to dev manager vertical

1) Provide the technical breakage of user stories.

4) Estimate the item (T shirt size or story points)

I know this will be difficult to consume since its written in plain English and not charts. just need inputs how to enhance. This is a top leadership and need to put my best foot forward. Can i add some step? or remove?

08:15 pm May 30, 2020

The reason why I need to create is to establish a flow/process that the teams need to adhere to in order to get estimations right on time.

How would adhering to a flow/process enable teams "to get estimations right on time"?

Is this something team members believe they need?

09:27 pm May 30, 2020

The processes are hay wire as of now. No concrete when they stories should break and estimates should come hence the leadership wants a flow chart to be prepared and then cascaded it as a process to the  team. Let me know how i can send you the flow chart so that you can see it better,

06:29 am May 31, 2020

hence the leadership wants a flow chart to be prepared and then cascaded it as a process to the  team.

I'm afraid that whatever comes from cascading a flowchart to teams, the result will not be Scrum.

The Scrum framework relies on the ability of teams to seld-organize based on evidence. This includes being able to inspect and adapt locally in a timely manner. It's very unlikely that empirical process control will arise from management cascading process diagrams to teams.

There are diagrammatic representations of Scrum which contextualize the roles, events and artifacts of the framework in terms of a Sprint. These have their limitations, but may be of some use in coaching management. Here's one I put together a few years ago:

Scrum Framework

05:43 pm June 1, 2020

Excellent points and diagram @Ian

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.