Skip to main content

Scrum master on DevOps projects -Tips/Challenges/

Last post 05:05 pm June 8, 2020 by Frank Marlon
4 replies
03:54 pm June 3, 2020

Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone can share insight on how SM roles and challenges look like in DevOps environment - 

If you have worked on DevOps environment what tips/insight you can share to new SM.

I completely understand the Scrum process is the same but I am assuming some DevOps info might be helpful to run the process .e.g. Git related/Jenkins related etc etc. Thanks,

07:45 am June 5, 2020

To maximize effectiveness of your scrum teams, it is good to understand the foundational WHY, as in why the organization wants to adopt a DevOps culture / mindset / organizational build. So start there.

Next to that, DevOps demand specific skills and mindset, it is important to check with the team if these are present.

Third, with DevOps, many times teams have specific needs for tools and (removal of) processes to be able to fully execute. make sure these are known and provided

03:08 pm June 5, 2020

I'd agree with Xander. Here are some points from my side:

Tips:

- Divide your tickets into small chunks 

- 1 week sprints possibly for DevOps because cannot afford to disappoint other business users. They need to wait for 2 weeks in order for their work to begin 

- Team should have all the skills as Xander mentioned

Challenges: 

- Business users not having time to wait for sprint completion 

- Sprint Planning

- Backlog refinement - as the priorities keep changing 

- Creating a Sprint goal - sometimes as a sprint work may involve different projects at the same time 

There is more to this tips/challenges list but I could compose only so much in the short window I had. 

Good luck! 

03:43 pm June 5, 2020

I completely understand the Scrum process is the same but I am assuming some DevOps info might be helpful to run the process .e.g. Git related/Jenkins related etc etc.

I'd suggest the best single thing you can do is to focus on cultural change rather than tooling. You might need to challenge the idea of "running a process" at all.

04:09 pm June 7, 2020

An effective transition to the DevOps environment is more about people and they way they work together to deliver products in new ways than it is about technology. By recruiting or retraining IT professionals to fill the DevOps roles, IT leaders can take an important first step toward achieving a successful DevOps delivery model.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.